Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Colunga leaves

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion have released Spanish striker Adrian Colunga, after the club and player mutually agreed to cancel his contract.

Colunga becomes a free agent and is set to return to Spain, but he will not be able to sign for a new club until the January transfer window opens.

Albion boss Chris Hughton said, "Adrian has found his opportunities limited since I came to the club, and even more so with the increase in competition since the summer, so it suits all parties to come to this agreement.

"I would like to wish Adrian well for the future; he's been extremely professional and worked hard in training throughout my time here. On behalf of all at the club, we wish him well."

Colunga joined Albion in the summer of 2014 from Getafe. He scored four goals in 21 appearances for the Seagulls. The 30-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish club Granada.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting. Probably cost us a fair old wedge to pay him off or at least come to some arrangement.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I could be the ticket man at Fulham Railway Station

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Inevitable l suppose, but still a shame in my eyes. I felt that he could still have had a part to play, as he offered something different to the team.

He is a skillful player who could tuck in behind the main striker, or play in wide positions too, and could come up with the odd goal. A reliable penalty taker too.

Just not a Chris Hughton type player unfortunately.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No point in staying if you know you cannot get a game, especially having to train in winter as well. Good on him for seeking a quick amicable way out and getting back to sunnier climes, I bet he's delighted.

I liked him, his skills were there, but maybe he was just on the little small side for Chris.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Inevitable l suppose, but still a shame in my eyes. I felt that he could still have had a part to play

Strange but true but there's always somebody who says that about ANY player who ever leaves the club, no matter how patently rubbish they were during their time here. There are always one or two stragglers rueing the departure of the likes of, say, Holroyd, long after everybody else has given them up for dead. Game of opinions tho eh?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Shame, I liked him.

Probably best for all concerned though.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Certainly not the worst player to have worn the shirt in the recent past but sometimes it just doesn't happen I guess.
He wasn't even getting the wild card in the development games so he was never going to break through to the first team.
Good luck to him.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not being a Hughton kind of player confuses me, He trained well, he did ok in a team which was largely shit last season, there is more to it than Hughton just not rating him.

My thoughts are along the lines of his contract, Apperance fees, bonus's etc

Either way good luck to him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
His sublime cross for Ince's volley at Swindon will remain in my memory for a long time. I hope he finds a club where he can settle and play well.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure why this is in the albion's interest as they could have tried to get him off the books in January.

So the albion surely haven't paid him more than 3 months wages as severance ? ???

Chicksen likely next out?

Last edited:

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Adding to the general feeling of this thread I did think that he had something to offer and it's a shame that it didn't work out for whatever reason. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Good luck to him. Best for all parties. Is there anyone else who falls into this category?
Do we need four goalkeepers at our club?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Delighted to see him gone. He wasn't in Hughtons plans. Hopefully that makes more money available in January or for a loan signing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here