Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music that you like on the first couple of hearings

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
seldom turns into music that you choose to listen to regularly, once the novelty has worn off. It is nearly always music that takes a bit of getting in to that lasts as a favourite

Discuss

In my case way way back in time I struggled big time with Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited which was regularly played by the older kids I knew. I don't know when or how but he turned into one of my all time favourite composers and singers (love the delivery and the voice as well as the lyrics). I like just about everything he has done too right up the more recent stuff.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
['s, waiting for a friend to come roundto music that you choose to listen to regularly, once the novelty has worn off. It is nearly always music that takes a bit of getting in to that lasts as a favourite

Discuss

In my case way way back in time I struggled big time with Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited which was regularly played by the older kids I knew. I don't know when or how but he turned into one of my all time favourite composers and singers (love the delivery and the voice as well as the lyrics). I like just about everything he has done too right up the more recent stuff.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, and agree for the most part, but there are exceptions. There are a handful of songs for which I can still remember where I was the first time I heard them, and they are still with me now. Two very old examples are:

- Need Your Love so Bad - Fleetwood mac. I was setting my Scalextric set up on our dining room floor sometime back in the 1960's, waiting for a friend to come round, and it just hit me between the eyes.
- I Feel Free by Cream. Seeing them for the first time on Top of the Pops - circa 1966. They were my favourite band all through my school days, and they (and that song) are still with me now.

Thinking about it, I still remember "Alright Now" by Free on TOTP when I first heard it. Would happily listen to it again right now - in fact the other day I was in the car when it was playing on the radio and, although I had reached my destination, I stayed in the car until it had finished..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
['s, waiting for a friend to come roundto music that you choose to listen to regularly, once the novelty has worn off. It is nearly always music that takes a bit of getting in to that lasts as a favourite

Discuss

In my case way way back in time I struggled big time with Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited which was regularly played by the older kids I knew. I don't know when or how but he turned into one of my all time favourite composers and singers (love the delivery and the voice as well as the lyrics). I like just about everything he has done too right up the more recent stuff.

I know what you mean, and agree for the most part, but there are exceptions. There are a handful of songs for which I can still remember where I was the first time I heard them, and they are still with me now. Two very old examples are:

- Need Your Love so Bad - Fleetwood mac. I was setting my Scalextric set up on our dining room floor sometime back in the 1960's, waiting for a friend to come round, and it just hit me between the eyes.
- I Feel Free by Cream. Seeing them for the first time on Top of the Pops - circa 1966. They were my favourite band all through my school days, and they (and that song) are still with me now.

Thinking about it, I still remember "Alright Now" by Free on TOTP when I first heard it. Would happily listen to it again right now - in fact the other day I was in the car when it was playing on the radio and, although I had reached my destination, I stayed in the car until it had finished..[/QUOTE]

The odd exceptions I have to agree. I remember being incredibly impressed with Dire Straits doing Sultans of Swing on TOGW Test and I still love that song, but they are few and far between for me. I normally get bored with "instant" songs pretty quickly

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here