Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where would you invest £15k?

theboybilly

I've managed to pay up my mortgage a little early and have around £15,000 to invest over 5 years or so. Do any money-savvy NSCers have any advice where I should invest? I have already used up this years ISA allowance and have a little extra set aside for emergencies.

Many thanks in advance

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Funny that, was about to ask the exact same thing.

Have around 10k in savings, which for the next few years i'd much rather invest in something rather than leave it in the bank. Property isn't an option seemingly (insufficient for any deposit), one suggestion to me was to buy a classic car(s), ie a classic Mini or similar and leave it to increase in value, as have somewhere to store it and someone who would help me keep it running etc.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I've managed to pay up my mortgage a little early and have around £15,000 to invest over 5 years or so. Do any money-savvy NSCers have any advice where I should invest? I have already used up this years ISA allowance and have a little extra set aside for emergencies.

Many thanks in advance

Personally, I am very wary of "independent" financial experts coming along talking extravagantly of what interest you will get by investing it here and there. I used to get wonderful quotes and assurances of big payouts, but the closer to maturity, the more red ink now appears, warning me of a less then hoped-for payout! Not very ambitious, I know, but my advice now would be to go for a 2 year, o rlonger, bond with a building society, if you don't need it now.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Everyone should be very careful about giving financial advice, you could get sued if your advice leads to someone losing their pot...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A couple of nice conditioned stainless steel Rolex sports watches.

Wear them, enjoy them, sell them for more when you need the cash.

theboybilly

Personally, I am very wary of "independent" financial experts coming along talking extravagantly of what interest you will get by investing it here and there. I used to get wonderful quotes and assurances of big payouts, but the closer to maturity, the more red ink now appears, warning me of a less then hoped-for payout! Not very ambitious, I know, but my advice now would be to go for a 2 year, o rlonger, bond with a building society, if you don't need it now.

IFAs...don't you just love 'em? My mortgage adviser promised me once he had access to all the best deals that hardly anybody else knew about. I met him for a chat and he came up with what he told me was a superb deal. Going home on the train I couldn't get this niggling feeling out of my head that something wasn't quite right. Next day a quick walk along Shoreham High Street convinced me I could beat his deal in almost any bank or building society...it was as if he'd torn an ad out of a newspaper. The deal I got by myself helped me not only get my payments down by a third, but also enabled me to pay off my mortgage early. Thank you First Direct.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Weekend in Vegas, stick it all on red.

you have not been charged for this advice

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
IFAs...don't you just love 'em? My mortgage adviser promised me once he had access to all the best deals that hardly anybody else knew about. I met him for a chat and he came up with what he told me was a superb deal. Going home on the train I couldn't get this niggling feeling out of my head that something wasn't quite right. Next day a quick walk along Shoreham High Street convinced me I could beat his deal in almost any bank or building society...it was as if he'd torn an ad out of a newspaper. The deal I got by myself helped me not only get my payments down by a third, but also enabled me to pay off my mortgage early. Thank you First Direct.

Any advice based on your limited explanation of your circumstances would be questionable...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Stick it in the Ernie bonds. Chance of a million quid each month and with £15k you *should* win a prize every couple of months. You can also cash some in if you're a bit strapped after blowing a load on cocaine and hookers celebrating our promotion next May.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
RBS shares, see a 10% increase in shares by next spring and then reinvest. a more sensible answer is buy the market, FTSE 100/250 funds and sit and wait. might go down over that period, but generally a one way investment on that sort of time frame. or both of course, can take a couple of options with that amount.

(oh disclaimer, pay no attention to this non-professional advice etc).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Many thanks in advance

Ernie bonds all the way

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Depending on your age etc... the new pension rules could make a pension contribution attractive....

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I had an email fron a Nigerian prince.
Sent him 10k and should expect s nice cool 2 million any day now.
I think I still have the email if you are interested.
Any day now .....

theboybilly

Any advice based on your limited explanation of your circumstances would be questionable...

Nothing too complicated mate...just a nice place to put £15k away for 5 years. I'm close to retirement and haven't got any debt now. My pension, although not brilliant, will be enough for me to get by and and more (hopefully until I get my State Pension to boost it further in 5 years time) If I could have a little fun along the way in those five years so much the better. I have looked at Premium Bonds but I'm not sure they offer value at that level of investment...but of course I could be totally wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here