Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panorama tonight

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i have never been entirely convinced everything Snowden "revealed" is true, with some porkie pies or mis-told stories along the way. and this is a good example why. some of the claims with the smurf thing sound ok, workable, but then theres the "turn on without you knowing". if you turn a phone on secretly you'll notice when the battery still goes down and you need to recharge at the end of the day. likewise if they are turning on your gps which gobbles power. and if someone pulls the battery or lets it go flat, the spies are stumped. it sounds a bit like a wish list rather than real capability.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be honest, I still can't make up my mind. I sort of see both points of view and that programme made it even harder for me to make up my mind. If Snowden is a liar then he is good at it

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Thought he came across as self righteous and arrogant. It's not ok for the security services to monitor everything for our safety but it is ok for him to decide to expose their ways and put all our lives at risk. I couldn't care less if they overhear me talking to the missus about the shopping list if it saves even one life

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I couldn't care less if they overhear me talking to the missus about the shopping list if it saves even one life
Yeah can just imagine that phone call " oh yeah and dont forget the 4 bags of ammonia nitrate fertiliser and make sure you get the supersized duracells . and make sure the alarm clock is digital !! :lolol::lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I couldn't care less if they overhear me talking to the missus about the shopping list if it saves even one life

That's the same argument as "if you have nothing to hide" - I don;t want our security services or police to be able to eavesdrop on my private life without good reason however mundane my private life may be. Quite clearly the NSA overstepped the mark and GCHQ were complicit in it - THAT needs exposing. People keep saying about him risking peoples lives yet there is no solid evidence he has.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Hero or traitor?

IMO traitor.

Hero! The US Government was lying to congress, doing whatever the hell it wanted, spying on it's own nationals, as well as it's "allies" and generally not giving a crap about any law it broke at all. Without Snowden it would have carried on and got a lot worse. I have no doubt in my mind they are still at it but at least people are more aware of it now and things like today's ECJ ruling would probably not have happened without it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
European Court of Justice has now deemed transfer of personnel info from Europe to the US as invalid (not sure what the difference is between invalid and unlawful!) after 15 years of transfer. This decision will no doubt have been heavly influenced by the revelations of Edward Snowdon and asks the question can a "traitor" get the Courts to agree on their side? The answer may be more grey then black or white!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34442618

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
judging from my companies response to the ECJ ruling today, the hoped demise of Facebook et al is to be disappointed. those using "Safe Harbour" agreements have just been lazy and some fairly simply internal contracts, to promise to treat the data as if under the original data protection law. they'll probably have this sorted in a few days. :(. but then :) for ECJ not having the affect it hopes.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
i have never been entirely convinced everything Snowden "revealed" is true, with some porkie pies or mis-told stories along the way. and this is a good example why. some of the claims with the smurf thing sound ok, workable, but then theres the "turn on without you knowing". if you turn a phone on secretly you'll notice when the battery still goes down and you need to recharge at the end of the day. likewise if they are turning on your gps which gobbles power. and if someone pulls the battery or lets it go flat, the spies are stumped. it sounds a bit like a wish list rather than real capability.

A decade and a half ago, in a far off corner of the World someone who should have known better, told me that mobile phones could be listened into whilst turned off. And although that person was I guess in a position to have that sort of knowledge, I somehow have never been able to get my head around it....until now. I don't really have anything to hide, but if I did I'd probably keep my mobile in the biscuit jar...... and count the biscuits!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Snowden has paid the ultimate sacrifice already, no access to freedom fries in Russia

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
If the telecoms hacking/spying continues to foil terror attacks in this country, please carry on as you are GCHQ.

Where do you draw the line? Shall we put a microphone in everyone's home because it might foil a terror attack? How about a camera in everyone's lounge? GPS tracking in all motor vehicles? There comes a point where the law is so broad, and the freedom of the state to do anything they want is so high that the terrorists win by default as we have all given up our freedom in order to stop them.

We already have laws to protect our privacy which is a core value of the human rights act but these were being broken for seven years http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/06/gchq-mass-internet-surveillance-unlawful-court-nsa but no one has been prosecuted. No one has really been held to account.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Where do you draw the line? Shall we put a microphone in everyone's home because it might foil a terror attack? How about a camera in everyone's lounge? GPS tracking in all motor vehicles? There comes a point where the law is so broad, and the freedom of the state to do anything they want is so high that the terrorists win by default as we have all given up our freedom in order to stop them.

We already have laws to protect our privacy which is a core value of the human rights act but these were being broken for seven years http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/06/gchq-mass-internet-surveillance-unlawful-court-nsa but no one has been prosecuted. No one has really been held to account.

Yeah Bin Laden will be crowing alright from above, watching Western governments slowly watching the so called free west turn into police states

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here