Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday away

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm interested to hear from people that have done this away trip before - tell me about your experiences etc. Is it a trip you'd recommend? What's the ground/facilities/home support like? Any pre match pubs etc to recommend? Thanks in advance!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cracking place for an away day.

Plenty of cheap pubs, cheap trains (if you book it up early), and decent atmosphere usually. Drink in Kelham Island, or there's also a decent boozer by the station (in the station actually), and a couple just up the hill too as you walk out. Taxi to the ground is about £6/7.

Away end is in the Leppings Lane end, it's old fashioned (like Hillsborough), but it's a proper old school football ground, and there aren't many left nowadays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The lower tier of Leppings Lane is still horrible and it feels very creepy walking through the tunnel.
The upper tier is ok.
There's loads of good eating and pubs in Sheffield.
We never win at Hillsborough.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Sounds promising so far (apart from the results record up there). If I was to get the coach, and I'm guessing they'd drop us at the ground - anywhere close by to eat etc?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

If you love homophobes who've undergone several irony bypasses it's the best place in England.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good away trip. Excellent beers in the pub at the station, tram to the ground. Great city for beers afterwards.

We never win there, mind... which sets up a Zamora winner nicely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Btw I always make a point of visiting the Hillsborough memorial which is in front of the main stand (to your right as you face the away end from outside).

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I remember us being 1-0 up there going in to injury time before the inevitable happened and they equalised on the counter attack with pretty much the last kick off the game, good 12 years or so now though. We were bottom of the table and they were 23rd at the time, we would have gone above them aswell.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went two seasons ago when Leon Best scored for them in the 94th minute, could do a job:wrong:

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Last year was one of the worst games of football I have witnessed. We arrived late to boot. This year it costs 8 weeks wages.

I'll be there.....

Feb 14, 2010
I'm interested to hear from people that have done this away trip before - tell me about your experiences etc. Is it a trip you'd recommend? What's the ground/facilities/home support like? Any pre match pubs etc to recommend? Thanks in advance!

A very good old ground. Very big but normally half empty. Insofar as away grounds, I've been to around 70 odd and would rate it somewhere between 10th-20th of the grounds I have been to. But grounds are personal tastes as I like lots of small grounds. Sheffield is a fun night out if you are in your 20's but much older than that and its a bit tragic. Both Shef W and Shef U are grounds to visit.

Last edited:

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
An excellent away day....the bar at the station, a good town centre, a nice tram ride & plenty of pubs & eating places around Hillsboro. A bonus for us last season was that the stewards were spot on, letting everyone know that standing was permitted on the back 20 or so rows, & that anyone wanting to sit should go in front of those rows, which improved the atmosphere no end & cut out the usual arguments. Very sensible stewarding & policing.

On the down side, I think they're hiking ticket prices up quite a bit this season.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Always a good day out at ever Wendy or United ,plenty of pubs round the town ,Dev Cat ,Fat Cat ,Bath Arms,Shakespear . Must go back soon it's been a while.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Living in Sheffield I've had the misfortune to go to more games than I care to remember at Hillsborough. Most have been awful and we never win.

The pitch was ruined in the flood in 2007 and never recovered but they finally replaced it for this season and by most accounts have a half decent side now. Hopefully this will mean a better game but I'll not hold my breath.

Just wish the Blades would stop being so crap and get promoted (too late if we go up obviously) as Bramhall Lane is much more fun and you lot would get to see the proper side of the city. The further South/West/nearer the Peak District you go the better it gets in general.

Having said that, as others have mentioned the Sheffield Tap at the station is decent and the Kelham Island area is pretty cool nowadays for bars/food. Although it still changes when the sun goes down.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here