Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5p for a carrier bag......!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Great news for the environment? Slightly in the way of a totally free market? Something that they've had in other European countries for years? Overall a decent, sensible idea?

Doesn't sound like the Tories to me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think I read a stat that 140 million single use plastic bags were used in this country last year, if they all cost 5p the government would have raised an absolute fortune to not spend on the NHS, education or the emergency services.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why are they even still being manafactured? Should have been scrapped at least a decade ago.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I think I read a stat that 140 million single use plastic bags were used in this country last year, if they all cost 5p the government would have raised an absolute fortune to not spend on the NHS, education or the emergency services.

Try 7.6 billion single use carrier bags handed out last year. The money raised from this initiative will go to charities I believe, not the Government.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Not sure about other companies but my employers are giving all the money from the charge to charity, not the government.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm all for this on the environmental factor, it's been this way on the continent for years. By the checkouts they leave the cardboard from deliveries so you can box up your groceries and carry them to your car.

Is it really that difficult to take shopping bags with you when you go shopping?

I've got Bags of Bags in my kitchen for re-use, it just keeps getting bigger as I always forget, must be the size of a small Elephant by now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with this. Seems to work perfectly well on mainland Europe.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the government are missing a trick here, they could give bags to pensioners and ask them to stick them over their heads.
therby relieving them of having to payout any extra benifits, killing two birds with one stone so to speak:lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Is it really that difficult to take shopping bags with you when you go shopping?

What is all the fuss about? Surely it is so easy to take your own bags and/or keep them in the car, should you decide to go into a supermarket on the spur of the moment. It just needs a little bit of organisation, with a basic will not to use the plastic bags.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Should've been done years ago. One of the few policies all political parties agree with.
Mind you I will now have to buy more plastic rubbish sacks instead of "recycling" shopping bags

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'm amazed it's taken England so flippin' long to get around to this; it's been going for around 10 years in Ireland resulting in less rubbish in the streets and people thinking a bit more about unnecessary consumption...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the government are missing a trick here, they could give bags to pensioners and ask them to stick them over their heads.
therby relieving them of having to payout any extra benifits, killing two birds with one stone so to speak:lolol:

Are you IDS in disguise? :lolol:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm amazed it's taken England so flippin' long to get around to this; it's been going for around 10 years in Ireland resulting in less rubbish in the streets and people thinking a bit more about unnecessary consumption...

Absolutely. It has been going elsewhere for years but we always seem so reluctant to change, despite the overwhelming evidence (rubbish.recycling etc) of the harm that these bags cause.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here