Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ebay - Do you call out cheeky sellers, with OTT prices?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
No. I do call out people who post nonsensical threads almost daily about whatever happens to be on their mind.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Saw a dvd on ebay that I fancied (NOT p o r n!), though the price was over £25?! For a dvd!!

It was not a blockbuster movie, by any means.. awaiting reply to my more reasonable offer, of a fiver.
:mad:

No, because if it's priced that highly on ebay then it's usually due to one of two reasons;

1) They're pulling a fast one, so Amazon it is instead
2) The DVD is now, for some reason, harder to get hold of than it used to be and so that price is reflective of its current value ('value' to the purchaser anyway), so it won't be cheaper elsewhere either

To give an example, I've been selling off my old Xbox 360 games on ebay as I don't use them anymore. Most of them are going for are couple of quid and I'm more than happy with it, however, there are a few that are either no longer in production or the company that owns the license has gone bust meaning that the number of copies out there is now limited.

If it was a cack game as well (and at least one very much is), that pool is really quite small as no one bought it int the first place making it that much more valuable to collectors/those that want it.

If I received a message (as a seller) where someone was trying to offer me far less, it'd be a polite 'no thanks'.

Edit; TL:DR, if you can get it cheaper elsewhere then do, if not then there's probably a reason it's that much.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Saw a dvd on ebay that I fancied (NOT p o r n!), though the price was over £25?! For a dvd!!

It was not a blockbuster movie, by any means.. awaiting reply to my more reasonable offer, of a fiver.
:mad:
What has it got to do with you what people charge? You don't have to make a bid.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The market decides, on eBay.
If one person's prepared to pay £25, his pricing was justified.
If no-one bids for it, he'll have to price it more realistically. ???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I saw a Maserati I really want in a garage yesterday, initially I thought it was a bit too expensive for me, but taking the OPs lead I'm going to ask them to do it as a swap for the wife's 6 year old mini.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Some of the figures for postage can be inflated I think.
I buy an alto sax from Brisbane and it costs $20.00 postage.
I inquire about another in Adelaide, much closer, then get quoted $50.00 postage.
It may be a case of topping up, if you don't get the price you wanted.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
If you use the "Global Shipping Programme" to sell abroad then Ebay itself sets the postal prices, most of which are eyewatering compared to the actual cost of airmail. They don't seem to be embarrassed about ripping buyers off.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I must admit I do.

Mostly on pushbikes that are insanely overpriced. I simply send a message pointing out that their entry level bike from the 70's is not in fact rare and only worth $20 if that, not the $400 they have on it.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What I can't understand is the watchers, you get three people watching one item left valued at £1.20 Why doesn't someone buy it? What are you watching such a low value item for, bored?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What I can't understand is the watchers, you get three people watching one item left valued at £1.20 Why doesn't someone buy it? What are you watching such a low value item for, bored?

I can answer this.

Let's say it is £1.20 when you spot it, but you're prepared to pay £5. You watch it, so that when the auction nears it's end, you offer what you think it's worth if it hasn't reached £5 yet.

Obviously this is particularly important to those who don't have a sniping tool, which of course is the correct way to grap yourself an ebay bargain. :thumbsup:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I was talking about the fixed price items where there is no auction, you can just buy it, yes I have done the last 10 sec bid! But what is a sniping tool?

I can answer this.

Let's say it is £1.20 when you spot it, but you're prepared to pay £5. You watch it, so that when the auction nears it's end, you offer what you think it's worth if it hasn't reached £5 yet.

Obviously this is particularly important to those who don't have a sniping tool, which of course is the correct way to grap yourself an ebay bargain. :thumbsup:

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Sniping tool is something like esnipe.com which worked very well when I used to buy from eBay - site swamped with endless crap and fakes now so rarely bother now

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
With DVD's it's always down to these three factors.....

1. It's been deleted from film distributors catalouges and no longer made.

2. It's not been downloadable legally or illegally anywhere at all for a long time.

3. You been scouring junk shops , bootsales and the like for years and have never found it.

Based on these three things alone totally justifiable price, if not even more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here