Southampton (A) 1-1 (24,308)
Millwall (H) 3-2
Oldham (H) 0-0
Mansfield (A) 2-1
Hull City (H) 2-1
Burnley (A) 0-0
Sheff United (H) 2-1
Luton T (H) 3-2 (25,312)
Sunderland (A) 2-0 (9 games w/o League defeat; 1st place) (24,013)
Charlton (A) 3-4

W 6 D 3 L 1

then two successive defeats

League Cup W 1 D 4 L 1

This season W 6 D 4 L 0

League Cup L 1

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And your point is ?

That we'll win 2-1 at Middlesbrough on the last day of the season whilst Derby County and Ipswich Town play out a deliberate goaless draw, thus meaning Derby take the second automatic promotion slot and Ipswich reach the play-offs.

Their managers will shake hands giving each other a knowing look.

Anyone over 45 will shudder with metaphorical memory...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Funny, I could have sworn our League Cup record this year is W1, L1 .............

Peter Ward 4 in League Fell 3 (as sub mostly); Goals 16-12

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That we'll win 2-1 at Middlesbrough on the last day of the season whilst Derby County and Ipswich Town play out a deliberate goaless draw, thus meaning Derby take the second automatic promotion slot and Ipswich reach the play-offs.

Their managers will shake hands giving each other a knowing look.

Anyone over 45 will shudder with metaphorical memory...

Just awful. McMenemy and Burkinshaw, we're celebrating before the game.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just awful. McMenemy and Burkinshaw, we're celebrating before the game.

Remember it like it was yesterday, another reason to despise SCC, mc enemy & berkinshaw arms around each other's shoulders coming out BEFORE the game, the team that had scored in every home match Bar 1 against the team that had conceded in away game bar 3 both needing a draw to clinch promotion 0-0 nailed on t**ts

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is like a cryptic crossword now.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
frank-the-fruitcake.jpg

1977-78 Division 2 only

Southampton (A) 1-1 (24,308)
Millwall (H) 3-2
Oldham (H) 0-0
Mansfield (A) 2-1
Hull City (H) 2-1
Burnley (A) 0-0
Sheff United (H) 2-1
Luton T (H) 3-2 (25,312)
Sunderland (A) 2-0 (9 games w/o League defeat; 1st place) (24,013)
Charlton (A) 3-4

W 6 D 3 L 1

then two successive defeats

League Cup W 1 D 4 L 1

This season W 6 D 4 L 0

League Cup L 1

I went to all those games, including the six FLC ties, and I don't remember watching Oldham four times in about a month which would have been the case if that 0-0 home draw had indeed been a League match. That second round home leg v. Oldham was also 0-0, but I don't have the League records to accuse Perseus of underhand statistical selection
biggrin.gif

Well remember that trip to Roker on the charter train. Got badly jostled celebrating both Wardy's goals in those non-segregated days; might have turned into a bit of a beating but for the intervention of a mature local.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I went to all those games, including the six FLC ties, and I don't remember watching Oldham four times in about a month which would have been the case if that 0-0 home draw had indeed been a League match. That second round home leg v. Oldham was also 0-0, but I don't have the League records to accuse Perseus of underhand statistical selection
biggrin.gif

According to Soccerbase the two League games that season with Oldham were 1-1 draws. The 0-0 was a League Cup game.

Our league run was
Southampton (a) 1-1
Millwall (h) 3-2
Hull (h) 2-1
Mansfield (a) 2-1
Burnley (a) 0-0
Sheff Utd (h) 2-1
Luton (h) 3-2
Sunderland (a) 2-0

We then lost our 9th game of the season to Charlton. Giving us a record of P9 Won 6 Drawn 2 Lost 1 for 20 points

This season is the first season we've ever gone 9 games undefeated at the start of a season. Our previous best start was the 53/54 season when we won 7 and drew 1 of the first 8 games (equivalent of 22points based on 3 points for a win, and technically a better points per game ratio than this season) before losing the 9th game.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here