Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT thermostatic shower rail problems

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Hi all, just wondering if any plumbers on the site could help with a problem .

For over a year the girlfriends shower in eastbourne has been luke warm with the temp setting up as far as it would go, on feeling the left side of shower rail it was really hot , so reading up I put it down to the thermostatic cartridge. We brought a new thermostatic shower rail and I installed that in July, for 6 weeks the shower has been lovely and hot even on the 38 degree setting but then it was steadily getting colder and had to gradually up the temperature dial to full again , I reread instructions and they said when installed to isolate hot then cold feed about 6 times to commission the cartridge , there were no isolation valves on feed to shower, so I installed them two weeks ago and followed instructions the shower then was fine again till yesterday when it's only like warm again, grrrr.

Will I have to isolate hot and cold feeds again ? And keeping doing it? Or is this to do with the combination boiler? Most frustrating should I just buy a wall mounted standard shower/mixer tap instead of a thermostatic one . Any advice please

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow two absolutely hilarious responses. Witty or clever maybe acceptable, but in this case neither so why bother if you can't help the bloke?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What make and model is the shower?
Have you had any problems with the temperature at the hot taps?

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
What make and model is the shower?
Have you had any problems with the temperature at the hot taps?

Just a generic one from Amazon , hot water taps are fine and scorching that's what is so frustrating has been fine for 6 odd weeks then it's just gone like the old one

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just a generic one from Amazon , hot water taps are fine and scorching that's what is so frustrating has been fine for 6 odd weeks then it's just gone like the old one

image.jpg

Is it a bar mixer valve similar to this photo?

If you are thinking of getting another shower valve I would go down Screwfix and buy one, if it goes wrong you can return it.
Some showers/taps bought online are cheap rubbish, can you return the one you bought?

In your original post you mentioned commissioning the shower cartridge, I have not heard of this before.

Some shower valves get scaled up very quickly, you could try removing the cartridge and placing it in kettle de scaler.
Kilrock from hardware shops is the best type of descaler.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
View attachment 68984

Is it a bar mixer valve similar to this photo?

If you are thinking of getting another shower valve I would go down Screwfix and buy one, if it goes wrong you can return it.
Some showers/taps bought online are cheap rubbish, can you return the one you bought?

In your original post you mentioned commissioning the shower cartridge, I have not heard of this before.

Some shower valves get scaled up very quickly, you could try removing the cartridge and placing it in kettle de scaler.
Kilrock from hardware shops is the best type of descaler.

Yes similar to that one, will have a word with the other half and maybe return it to Amazon and yeas get another from screw fix , might try and de scale cartridge first I suppose

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Your cold mains pressure might be too much for the hot - Most branded showers (Grohe/Crosswater/HG etc) can cope with an imbalance up to 5:1, but i've had a few (Bristan/Gummers) where we've had to slow down the cold to match the hot.

Can you fit a PEQ https://www.bes.co.uk/product/110~PL~1965~-Water-Pressure-Equalising-Valve.html on the supplies ? (guess you can if you fitted iso valves..!) :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Does a day go by without there being an issue with the rail in the UK?

Wouldn't happen in Germany.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Your cold mains pressure might be too much for the hot - Most branded showers (Grohe/Crosswater/HG etc) can cope with an imbalance up to 5:1, but i've had a few (Bristan/Gummers) where we've had to slow down the cold to match the hot.

Can you fit a PEQ https://www.bes.co.uk/product/110~PL~1965~-Water-Pressure-Equalising-Valve.html on the supplies ? (guess you can if you fitted iso valves..!) :thumbsup:

Suppose it could be the pressure but for that price I may aswell just get a standard wall mounted shower/tap mixer without the bloody thermalstatic cartridge in

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Looks like returning the one we have then to Amazon and popping to screw fix eastbourne to see what I can get, thanks for the replies , thought it might have been me but must be the rail/bar

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here