Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wouldn't you just love Nigel Owens to switch codes and referee footy games

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brilliant bit of refereeing yesterday in the Scotland vs saffies.

Scottish full back kicks the ball into touch, the on rushing winger jumps in front of him and stops just short of the player...he dives around holding his face.

It's shown on the big screen and Owens stops the game and in front of everyone basically tells him what a pathetic cheat he is and to " come back in two weeks" if he wants to do it again......just brilliant refereeing.

The video has gone viral

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Owens is a very well appointed referee, and rightly so.

Some of his quips are legendary, but his story is fascinating too. I think he did the right thing in 'coming out', because the positive reaction will make players in his situation feel more comfortable.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Here is a video of the incident. The incident in the Tonga vs Georgia game where one of the players claimed not to understand him was funny as well.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I seem to remember seeing a clip somewhere of him talking to a player about a wayward lineout throw by commenting "bloody hell, I'm straighter than that was" or words to that effect.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I seem to remember seeing a clip somewhere of him talking to a player about a wayward lineout throw by commenting "bloody hell, I'm straighter than that was" or words to that effect.

This is a clip of that very incident.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Soccerball (certainly not the football I grew up with) is a shameless embarrassment and I hate it.

I hate it even more than I hate any kind of 'what about the children' argument, which runs it a very close second...

... but what about the children watching on.

Jnr Stat's under 11's are an embarrassment, Jnr is far from excluded from that.
They roll about on the floor, they are poleaxed by a tackle, they call out the ref and look like mini kaz's when they don't get a decision.
The coaches and parents aren't much better.

Anyone falling on the track at Jnr's cycling club is properly injured, grazed, cuts, blood and bruises.
To a boy (or girl) they all get up, hold back the tears and when offered to 'ride out the lap' they always say yes, to the applause and cheers of the parents and other kids.

All the football kids are interested in is never used goal celebration routines and rebonas.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Here is a video of the incident. The incident in the Tonga vs Georgia game where one of the players claimed not to understand him was funny as well.

"Get that out the game and come back in two weeks, not today". He's not a fan of football is Nige.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get embarrassed more when grown men refer to football as soccerball.
As it's now a completely different sport to the one we grew up with, how would you describe it?

I use the 'word' soccerball when describing the excesses of the sport, which is so far removed from the days when I loved all things football.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought it was only footballers who dived and this kind of thing never happens in rugby ???

You saw how it was treated when it did.
Perhaps if refs in football were braver, then it wouldn't be so common.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As it's now a completely different sport to the one we grew up with, how would you describe it?

I use the 'word' soccerball when describing the excesses of the sport, which is so far removed from the days when I loved all things football.
It's the same sport. You use the word soccerball because you like cutesie nicknames for things.

I don't much care for the wider game either but I'm damned if I'm going to let it make me sound like I'm a three year old.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the same sport. You use the word soccerball because you like cutesie nicknames for things.

I don't much care for the wider game either but I'm damned if I'm going to let it make me sound like I'm a three year old.
It's a shame acting like a 3 year old is exactly how this has come about.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I do think this is one of the main arguments for using technology in football. I would love to see one of these p***** who goes to ground holding their face when they haven't been touched, called over by the ref, shown it on the big screen in front of the crowd and then booked or sent off.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Didn't see the Wolves game yesterday then ???

Not from Malta. No. But I do see a lot of football on television and have never seen referees show up a player for feigning injury. I don't remember hearing about it on the news.

What happened ?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not from Malta. No. But I do see a lot of football on television and have never seen referees show up a player for feigning injury. I don't remember hearing about it on the news.

What happened ?

Le Fondre dived to try and win a penalty. The ref booked him for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here