Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

January transfer window

Will TB provide the war chest needed to reach the promised land?

• Yes he will

Votes: 49 90.7%
  • No he won't

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
It is clear that the only missing piece of the jigsaw is a 25 goal a season striker.

The question is, will TB give Hughton a £7-10m budget to bring this player in??

If yes who will we go in for? Calleri? Ulloa? Someone else??

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The war chest was ready to be dragged out for Calleri, if not, why would Barber have flown out to Argentina to negotiate? I'm hoping that the chest was not unlocked due to the prospect of a better deal in January after Boca's season is over.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Really depends where we are come January. People seem to be treating it as a given that we will still be in the top 6 at the very least. Fact is we've only played 2 of the top 8 sides and our missed opportunities to extend our points advantage before a tough run of matches particularly in December could come back to bite us. If we're still in the hunt we will attract top players and TB will back Hughton.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Really depends where we are come January. People seem to be treating it as a given that we will still be in the top 6 at the very least. Fact is we've only played 2 of the top 8 sides and our missed opportunities to extend our points advantage before a tough run of matches particularly in December could come back to bite us. If we're still in the hunt we will attract top players and TB will back Hughton.

exactly this
Rhodes maybe? or someone very similar

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Basically yes the money will be there again in Jan, clear that CH has a plan and knows what he his doing. And if the player is as good as has been with recent signings the money will be an investment with a possible profit at the end.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The war chest was ready to be dragged out for Calleri, if not, why would Barber have flown out to Argentina to negotiate? I'm hoping that the chest was not unlocked due to the prospect of a better deal in January after Boca's season is over.

Yep, it looks like a possible deal has been put in motion for a move in January. If we are sitting near the top and continue to perform the way we are it would be hard not to consider us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Basically yes the money will be there again in Jan, clear that CH has a plan and knows what he his doing. And if the player is as good as has been with recent signings the money will be an investment with a possible profit at the end.

If we are in and around the play offs come January then the funds will be provided to make the big push for promotion; however, I don't know that it would be to sign the lad from Argentina. In fact I don't even know that we really did make an offer for him in the close season. We have two strikers to come into the equation this year and who knows whether they will be the missing piece of the jigsaw or not.

I think the two targets we missed out on in the close season may be revisited in January because failure to get them was down to the fact we were not seen as a potential Premiership back then. Come January we might be though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Saying that we've only played 2 of the top 8 sides is very biased, as Ipswich were 2nd when we played them. Wolves were in the top 6 when we played so keeping them down to one point meant that they also slipped.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Don't think so.
So far so good, If CH gets Baldock firing on all cylinders then job done.

without wishing to be rude, do you speak as a supporter from the other side of the world..or have you seen the pitiful lack of finishing from our number 9 ? Just asking .

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
we can't afford to twiddle our thumbs 'til January , scoring one goal here, one goal there. We have the best chance ever of getting a promotion run together, not the play-offs, so scouting staff have to unearth a gem...they're out there, Leicester have proved it with Vardy.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Middlesbrough have only played 1 of the top 8. They've lost twice, yet people still consider them to be favourites for promotion.
We haven't looked like being beaten yet this season, and we've had tougher opposition. I think it's reasonable to expect top 6 in January.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Voted yes but this would be dependant on where we sit in the league, if we are in the hunt I can see money being made available to get us over the line to realise TB'S dream ( and ours of course )

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am very confident we'll be in the top three come January. Why? Because our spine is very very strong. Hemed & Baldock, Kayal & Stephens, Greer & Dunk along with Stockdale are all playing very well which means we are consistently dominating the centre of the pitch, be it at the back or up front. With the likes of Zamora, Ince, Crofts, Hünemeier & Maenpaa all capable of performing to a high level if needed - we have great back up for our terrific spine. We've played well enough to win all our games this season with the exception of Huddersfield and with a bit more luck, we'd now have an 8 point lead. We are the best team in the championship at the moment and unless we lose a number of high profile players to injury - that's not going to change any time soon. After 10 games, the table is not lying. I also realise that players such as Stephens will be the subject of unwanted bids during January but TB has shown with the Dunk situation that he's not going to let rival teams derail our promotion push.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
without wishing to be rude, do you speak as a supporter from the other side of the world..or have you seen the pitiful lack of finishing from our number 9 ? Just asking .

I've supported since 1970 and before coming here was a season ticket holder for 20+ years, so I have seen a few games.
I subscribe to Seagulls World, sports streaming channels etc. and always watch the televised games, when possible.
I never miss the Saturday games but the midweek games are out because of the time difference, well, except really important ones, then I'm zombie like for a couple of days.
I think it's a confidence thing, as he has been so close to scoring on so many occasions.
Once a couple go in, then maybe the pressure will ease, and more will come.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Middlesbrough have only played 1 of the top 8. They've lost twice, yet people still consider them to be favourites for promotion.
We haven't looked like being beaten yet this season, and we've had tougher opposition. I think it's reasonable to expect top 6 in January.

Probably because of strength in depth.

When the injuries and suspensions hit is when we will be really tested. If we lost Stephens, Lua Lua, Hemed, Kayal etc, the likes of Boro and Derby have better replacements than we do (IMO).

I still don't think we have the goals required to go up automatically, although we'll make the play-offs.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I am very confident we'll be in the top three come January. Why? Because our spine is very very strong. Hemed & Baldock, Kayal & Stephens, Greer & Dunk along with Stockdale are all playing very well which means we are consistently dominating the centre of the pitch, be it at the back or up front. With the likes of Zamora, Ince, Crofts, Hünemeier & Maenpaa all capable of performing to a high level if needed - we have great back up for our terrific spine. We've played well enough to win all our games this season with the exception of Huddersfield and with a bit more luck, we'd now have an 8 point lead. We are the best team in the championship at the moment and unless we lose a number of high profile players to injury - that's not going to change any time soon. After 10 games, the table is not lying. I also realise that players such as Stephens will be the subject of unwanted bids during January but TB has shown with the Dunk situation that he's not going to let rival teams derail our promotion push.

Also worth noting that should Albion be in strong league position in January then many Premier League squad players/Championship form players will see the Albion as conveyor belt to the Premier League in 2015/16. Likewise, Stephens is highly unlikely to join either a rival Championship club or Premier League struggler, knowing full well he could be playing lower-level football the following season than if he'd stayed with the Albion. Lots of hypotheticals in there because Stephens has never looked anything but 100% committed to the Albion cause.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
...Fact is we've only played 2 of the top 8 sides...

I HATE this fact, because it is not that simple.

Cause And Effect.

It could just be that SOME of that top 8 are only there because we haven't played them and caused them to drop points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here