Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Day Presenter Clangers...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
At an away match in 1995, pre-match, the Bristol City presenter decided to play Smokie's 'Alice'. Well, at least he thought so...

He had actually put on the Roy Chubby Brown version...

At least a couple of 'Who the F is Alice's' had rang out around the ground before the tanoy went quiet. It still makes me laugh to this day.

I wonder if others have some favourite match day clangers.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In the dim and distant past on NSC didn't someone post about that late Tony Millard's alleged comment over the tannoy that the players were handing out Easter eggs to the sp****cs in the disabled section? (Easter 1982 sticks in the mind for some reason)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Last day of the season 2001/02 season we'd beaten Port Vale at their place and our players were coming back out to celebrate another league win and promotion. Their announcer starts naming the players running onto the pitch but he's reading from the Bournemouth squad list, they'd been the previous away team to visit Vale. It was only after 3 or 4 players had been announced to a chorus of who? after each one that the announcer realised his mistake and started again with our squad list.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
There was a rumour once, true or not I don't know, that a Bristol Rovers presenter was sacked after the City player, Junior Bent, came on the pitch. Apparently he said "Number Eight, Junior Bent - and he is".

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the dim and distant past on NSC didn't someone post about that late Tony Millard's alleged comment over the tannoy that the players were handing out Easter eggs to the sp****cs in the disabled section? (Easter 1982 sticks in the mind for some reason)

:ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There was a rumour once, true or not I don't know, that a Bristol Rovers presenter was sacked after the City player, Junior Bent, came on the pitch. Apparently he said "Number Eight, Junior Bent - and he is".

Oh hilarious.............

Although it was quite funny when Charlton Athletics front two were both Bent.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Ahhh the only thing with that is, is that back in those days people with mental/physical disability (well certain people) like Joey Deacon on Blue Peter,
were referred to as Spastics and were called that not in an insultive way but as a matter of course, the word disabled or people with disabilities proper use didn't come into use until much much later.
Don't forget back in those days things like that weren't deemed un PC or inappropriate even the shop in the high streets were called The Spastics shop.
There was also the Spastics Society started years ago, I think thats the one they changed to Scope
So you see it was acceptable back then, no one would have batted an eyelid.

imgres-1.jpgimgres-2.jpgimgres.jpg

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I remember Tony Millard shouting 'Bloody Hell Andy' over the tannoy when Andy Ritchie missed a chance in a game against West Brom. I believe he apologised afterwards!

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Last day of the season 2001/02 season we'd beaten Port Vale at their place and our players were coming back out to celebrate another league win and promotion. Their announcer starts naming the players running onto the pitch but he's reading from the Bournemouth squad list, they'd been the previous away team to visit Vale. It was only after 3 or 4 players had been announced to a chorus of who? after each one that the announcer realised his mistake and started again with our squad list.

Wasn't that the same game when they thoughtfully played party music before the game as it was the last game of the season etc & one of the songs played was 'glad all over' & the atmosphere suddenly changed??!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can remember a game back in the early 1990's against someone like Palace or Pompey....and at the end of the game, the announcer blasted out "can the away supporters please remain where they are for their own safety"

Cue huge cheers and chants of various threats of violence from the north stand faithful

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ahhh the only thing with that is, is that back in those days people with mental/physical disability (well certain people) like Joey Deacon on Blue Peter,
were referred to as Spastics and were called that not in an insultive way but as a matter of course, the word disabled or people with disabilities proper use didn't come into use until much much later.
Don't forget back in those days things like that weren't deemed un PC or inappropriate even the shop in the high streets were called The Spastics shop.
There was also the Spastics Society started years ago, I think thats the one they changed to Scope
So you see it was acceptable back then, no one would have batted an eyelid.

View attachment 68997View attachment 68998View attachment 68999

...as indeed were..." cretins "...and...." mongols "

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here