Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fabio

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Why didn't he get a 2nd yellow for the obvious block in the second half? Doesn't seem to be any consistency in ref standards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because the ref was shit.

Why didn't we get a penalty for all the shirt pulling when we had corners?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
There was also a point, it might have the Fabio block where the ref played an advantage, but there was no advantage. The ref should have pulled play back, sent off Fabio and we get a free kick

That was the same incident. Ref clearly saw the block, waved play on, there was no advantage as March was on the deck, and then had a word with Fabio once the move broke down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There was also a point, it might have the Fabio block where the ref played an advantage, but there was no advantage. The ref should have pulled play back, sent off Fabio and we get a free kick

Usually people make this sort of argument when the the team has made three or four passes and dribbles, and lost what was a genuine advantage. I tend to not blame referees for not pulling it back (it's unfair on the fouling team to give you several chances when it's your fault you lost possession after he's played an advantage - it's about keeping the game flowing and giving the best resolution to that foul, not giving you numerous chances to score), but I don't think the ref had even put his hands down after initially signalling advantage, before the Cardiff player was on top of us, removing any advantage there might have been. Most other refs would call it back. He bottled it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately this is something we see on a regular basis. If Fabia hadn't been booked prior to this the ref would have been happy to get the yellow card out, as he did in the first half when Rosenior was blocked.

But already on a yellow card and too many refs give players another chance regardless of how cynical the foul was.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How he didn't book their goalkeeper early in the first half for his time wasting is beyond me.

That's a directive to refs that's long overdue I think. So many games are spoiled by excessive time wasting (well, ones we're not winning anyway). Early yellow cards to stamp it out. It cheats the fans.

As for Fabio, no reason at all why the ref couldn't still have sent him off after playing the advantage. Ridiculous. It's all my fault for saying I thought he was doing well at half-time... Turned into a tosser second half. March was getting kicked all over the place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's a directive to refs that's long overdue I think. So many games are spoiled by excessive time wasting (well, ones we're not winning anyway). Early yellow cards to stamp it out. It cheats the fans.

As for Fabio, no reason at all why the ref couldn't still have sent him off after playing the advantage. Ridiculous. It's all my fault for saying I thought he was doing well at half-time... Turned into a tosser second half. March was getting kicked all over the place.

Agree with all this. There was a thread started up yesterday entitled "That's Entertainment!" We certainly succeeded in providing that yesterday, and there was a period in the last quarter of the game when much of it was end-to-end. In response, however, I was tempted to start a thread entitled "That's Not Entertainment", referring to time wasting by their keeper, and the failure of the referee to do anything about it. It's not just that he didn't book him, he didn't take account of it in terms of stoppage time. Four minutes, when there were five substitutions, and numerous stoppages for Solly being hacked down. That's cheating us out of football and, as I've already said, whilst the ball was in play yesterday, it was exhilarating and absorbing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
the incident the op referred to was also brought up in the post match interview with CH on radio sussex...apparently CH had a word with the ref as the teams went off....about Fabio not receiving a second yellow and why he didnt give a penalty after a shove/push on Dunk ..which if i remember correctly was before Cardiff scored ....seems the 2nd week running we've not had the rub of the green

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How he didn't book their goalkeeper early in the first half for his time wasting is beyond me.

Agreed...he had a 'chat' with him late second half....not that it did any good.
Didn't Stockade pick up a yellow in a recent game at the Amex for the same offence..late second half

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed...he had a 'chat' with him late second half....not that it did any good.
Didn't Stockade pick up a yellow in a recent game at the Amex for the same offence..late second half

He did, but that was for time wasting in the last 15-20 minutes. Stockdale deserved his card, and I don't blame him for running down the clock. Similarly, I don't blame the Cardiff keeper, but I do blame the ref for not booking him in the first 15-20 minutes of that game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He did, but that was for time wasting in the last 15-20 minutes. Stockdale deserved his card, and I don't blame him for running down the clock. Similarly, I don't blame the Cardiff keeper, but I do blame the ref for not booking him in the first 15-20 minutes of that game.

Oh i agree with Stockdales booking...but its the inconsistency ...should have sorted the Cardiff goalie out early on

scooter1

How soon is now?
Fabio should gave gone, I said this earlier in the thread. However, as I pointed out to the fella sat next to me yesterday. we were probably better off with Fabio on the pitch as he was on a bit of a tightrope, whereas if he'd gone then they'd have just whipped off a striker, stuck on a defender and played with 10 behind the ball

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

My understanding is that if there is an incident that warrants a second yellow (and the ref is going to give it) they can't play an advantage.

That said, why is it some refs bring play back if no advantage materializes and some don't. In rugby the advantage seems to go on for ages which I wouldn't like to see but there should be more time than they currently allow (for those refs that understand they can bring play back, not the moron from yesterday)..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here