Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Cardiff home

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I get the sense I might not be in tune with most others today.

So much frustrated me. Not least fans near me. Screeching that "there's one man in the middle pass it to him" when we have two men being marked by all four of Cardiff's defence.

I didn't enjoy most of the first half because I thought the football was terrible. Header tennis, the ball pinging all over the place, no one putting a foot on it and showing composure, long cross field ball to no one, after long cross field ball. Late in the second half it felt a bit 'you have a go, we'll have a go' which isn't football I like, even if their attempts mostly broke down easily in the final third.

I thought March was terrible in the first half, the Fabio booking aside. In the second half he was much more dangerous, but he still has no idea what to do once he beat his man/men. In previous games he has had one on ones where he just never passed when the pass was on and instead side-footed straight at keeper. Today, he never even got the shot away. That run late in the game was so infuriating. He gets into the box and has a couple of players in the box to pass to before the defenders close him down. Instead he takes on the first man, pass is on, no, take on second man, pass is on, nope, take on the third. Fall over. The Cardiff defence was pretty poor with him, not just the bookings, but he is clearly so one footed, and yet they constantly pushed him onto that foot.

Their keeper made a few good saves in the first half, but after we scored, I don't recall us really testing him. This is the third game in a row that our inability to finish has cost us. We're fortunate that this year seems to be trending the complete opposite to last - it felt like last season every keeper we faced was having the game of his life, every team were on form. This season, on the whole, opposition keepers have been average, opponents have wasted their own opportunities.

I thought we were poor overall (albeit better in the second half, for a change), but fortunately Cardiff were much much worse.

Stockdale 7 - No chance with the first goal, not a lot else to do, was alert, stayed up as long as possible and delayed Cardiff in their only other chance, giving Dunk the chance to cover and clear
Bruno 6 - Too easily beaten for the Cardiff goal, then was a bit up and down, before eventually settling and putting in a strong performance with several great challenges
Greer 6 - How did he miss that?!
Dunk 6.5
Bong 6.5
Kayal 6 - Took a while to get into the game and contribute, set up the goal, but why did he hesitate so much late on?
Stephens 8 - Strongest performance of the bunch, well taken goal.
Rosenior 6.5
March - I really can't decide. First half and final product would be a low rating, his runs, and the way he drew fouls and cards would get a high rating...
Baldock 6 - His work rate is great, and I don't think we should understate his general contribution, but he needs to start scoring more. Wasted too many chances.
Temed 6 - Still recovering from injury?

Zamora 5.5 - This is lower in part because his time on the pitch was limited, but that was not a typical Zamora performance.
Manu - Felt like any time he looked dangerous and fast he was offside, but wasn't on that long.

I think I'm going to split the difference and give March 6, which right now feels generous to me. Though I may change my mind later.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I really enjoyed the game other than the first 15 minutes, when we were sloppy, even Bruno!

Very quiet day for Stockdale.

Ratings with 6 as average.

Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 7
Bong - 7
Dunk - 7.5
Greer - 7
Kayal - 7
Stephens - 9
Rosenoir - 7
March - 7.5
Hemed - 6
Baldock - 6

Zamora - 5 - needs to start. As struggles to pick up the pace when he comes on.
Manu - too little time

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Stockdale - 6 - Not too much to do
Bruno - 8.5 - MOM for me. A different player to last season
Greer - 6 - Poor for the Cardiff goal and **** know how he missed putting the ball in the net for us
Dunk - 7 - Solid enough, got a bit sloppy a few times though
Bong - 7 - Another good performance, was missing his partner in crime going forward though
Rosenior - 6.5 - Decent but not spectacular
Kayal - 7 - The usual Mr 100 Per Cent
Stephens - 8 - Very good game and can see why he may well attract some attention from other clubs
March - 8 - Got better as the game went on. Some comments I have read are far too harsh on the lad
Hemed - 5 - Done nothing to impress today
Baldock - 5 - Seems to be a nearly man.

Zamora - 6 - Made a few good lay offs from which we should have scored
Elvis - 5 - Meh

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I thought we played well and dominated Cardiff pretty much throughout.

Stockdale - 6 not much chance for the goal otherwise untested.
Bruno - 7.5 caught cold for the first goal but was superb otherwise. 3 brilliantly timed challenges when 1 on 1
Bong - 6 pretty quiet today
Greer - 7 will be playing that miss over and over again in his head
Dunk - 9 motm - oozes class, he's a Premier League player without doubt
Stephens - 8.5 fantastic finish and strong throughout
Kayal - 8 back to his best today
Rosenior - 8 really steady influence on the team, unlucky with a goal bound shot which was blocked.
March - 7.5 first 30 minutes dreadful but he got more and more confidence through the game and had Fabio in disarray
Hemed - 6.5 not great today
Baldock - 6.5 willing worker unfortunate not to score

Zamora - 6 weakest performance yet, international break comes at a good time for him
Manu - 5.5 not really in the game

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 7

Bruno 8
Bong 7
Greer 7
Dunk 8

Kayal 8
Stephens 9
March 7
Rosenior 7

Baldock 6
Hemed 6

theboybilly

Stockdale 6 (not much to do)
Bruno 8 ( hardly put a foot wrong)
Greer 7 (miss notwithstanding)
Dunk 6 (caught out for their goal)
Bong 6 (did everything asked of him in the main)
Rosenior 6 ( solid if unspectacular)
Kayal 7 (engine room performance)
Stephens 9 (almost everything good went through him)
March 7 (much improved but needs to pick out a pass)
Hemed 6 ( decent but seems to struggle in the second half of games)
Baldock 6 ( a favourite of mine, just needs a bit of luck)

Zamora 5 (didn't get into the game)
Manu 4 (disappointing, couldn't find the pace of the game)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stockdale - 7
Bruno - 8
Bong - 6.5
Dunk - 7.5
Greer - 6.5
Kayal - 6.5
Stephens - 8.5 MOM
Rosenoir - 7
March - 7.5
Hemed - 6
Baldock - 6

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There seems to be a lot of different views on the way the players performed. The only common factor is we were sloppy in the first ten minutes, Bruno and March in particular.
As the game wore on they came more integral, but maybe no real stand out MOTM performance from anyone.
I'll give 6.5-7 across the board but 8.5 all round for entertainment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought we played well and dominated Cardiff pretty much throughout.

Stockdale - 6 not much chance for the goal otherwise untested.
Bruno - 7.5 caught cold for the first goal but was superb otherwise. 3 brilliantly timed challenges when 1 on 1
Bong - 6 pretty quiet today
Greer - 7 will be playing that miss over and over again in his head
Dunk - 9 motm - oozes class, he's a Premier League player without doubt
Stephens - 8.5 fantastic finish and strong throughout
Kayal - 8 back to his best today
Rosenior - 8 really steady influence on the team, unlucky with a goal bound shot which was blocked.
March - 7.5 first 30 minutes dreadful but he got more and more confidence through the game and had Fabio in disarray
Hemed - 6.5 not great today
Baldock - 6.5 willing worker unfortunate not to score

Zamora - 6 weakest performance yet, international break comes at a good time for him
Manu - 5.5 not really in the game

No way was Dunk a 9. He was at fault for the Cardiff goal

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale - 6 - Not too much to do
Bruno - 8.5 - MOM for me. A different player to last season
Greer - 6 - Poor for the Cardiff goal and **** know how he missed putting the ball in the net for us
Dunk - 7 - Solid enough, got a bit sloppy a few times though
Bong - 7 - Another good performance, was missing his partner in crime going forward though
Rosenior - 6.5 - Decent but not spectacular
Kayal - 7 - The usual Mr 100 Per Cent
Stephens - 8 - Very good game and can see why he may well attract some attention from other clubs
March - 8 - Got better as the game went on. Some comments I have read are far too harsh on the lad
Hemed - 5 - Done nothing to impress today
Baldock - 5 - Seems to be a nearly man.

Zamora - 6 - Made a few good lay offs from which we should have scored
Elvis - 5 - Meh

I agree with all of this. Count these as my ratings too.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No way was Dunk a 9. He was at fault for the Cardiff goal

I'd have to watch it back on tv. It seemed to me that Bruno was initially caught too far up the pitch allowing their left winger time and space to put in a decent cross for a straight forward finish. I didn't notice at first viewing that Dunk was at fault.

If he was fair enough it's a critcial mistake and he would be a 7.5 with Stephens being MOTM if not then I thought he was superb throughout and it was his goal line clearance plus another crucial header that stopped either a definite and possible goal. He looked a class apart for most of the day and has surely cemented his place in the side with Greer and Uwe now battling out for the second centre halves place.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'd have to watch it back on tv. It seemed to me that Bruno was initially caught too far up the pitch allowing their left winger time and space to put in a decent cross for a straight forward finish. I didn't notice at first viewing that Dunk was at fault.

If he was fair enough it's a critcial mistake and he would be a 7.5 with Stephens being MOTM if not then I thought he was superb throughout and it was his goal line clearance plus another crucial header that stopped either a definite and possible goal. He looked a class apart for most of the day and has surely cemented his place in the side with Greer and Uwe now battling out for the second centre halves place.

Exactly this.

Can't see why either of Greer or Dunk are getting a hard time for their goal.

Bruno, who otherwise was excellent, was miles too far forward, leaving their winger with acres of space to put in the cross.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree the Cardiff chap shouldn't have been allowed to get the cross in, but once he did Dunk was caught between going for the ball or sticking with his man. He was in no man's land. IMHO he should have got the ball. Stephens was my motm; his body shape, technique and placing of his goal was sublime.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Exactly this.

Can't see why either of Greer or Dunk are getting a hard time for their goal.

Bruno, who otherwise was excellent, was miles too far forward, leaving their winger with acres of space to put in the cross.

Just watched it back and I stand by my initial post. Bruno was caught near halfway allowing their left winger an unchallenged passage towards our goal. This has pulled Greer out to cover the near post space with Dunk and Bong on the cover. Mason has made an intelligent run in the space between Greer & Dunk towards the near post. I cannot see how Greer or Dunk can be blamed when the root cause was Bruno not tracking initially. It was possibly the only time Cardiff played with any quality and they punished us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale - 6 - Good distribution, nothing he could have done about the goal, otherwise not a save to make
Bruno - 7 - Think he was the missing one when they scored but otherwise again did some great stuff
Greer - 7.5 - (8.5 if he'd have scored), yet again solid at the back and was pressing upfield time and again with real purpose
Dunk - 7 - decent. Little to choose between him and Honeymonster
Bong - 7 - decent
Rosenior - 7 - decent
Kayal - 7.5 - better game after a couple not so good
Stephens - 8.5 - MOM for me
March - 7 - Very poor for 30 mins, blinding second half
Hemed - 5 - Off day, did little of note
Baldock - 8- excellent game, some great touches, worked fantastically hard, knackered when he was subbed

Zamora - 5.5 - struggled to make much of an impact but used the ball intelligently
Elvis - 5 - bit anonymous, caught way offside too easily

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bloody loved that game today. Thought we were great all over the park, happy with everyone me, 8's all round. We looked the business today make no mistake.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Think OP is as he suggests not in tune with the rest of us. We played very well, with some technically excellent moves and skill, and some great tackling. Cardiff fans' forum admit they could have been 4-0 down at HT. Russell Slade saide after game: "Brighton are a very good and very strong side and they deserve to be top.".

TBH, only thing not to like was the score.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
This has pulled Greer out to cover the near post space

Which he hasn't done though has he. The killer ball has gone inside him and that's my beef with Greer's positioning.A few yards closer to the goal and Greer cuts off the ball across the face of the goal which is the most dangerous for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here