Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do YOU pronounce Lido

How do YOU pronounce Lido?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Talking about early 60's

Ok, mine was a wee bit tongue in cheek, but I grew up there, seem to spend my entire Summers there from age of 6 - 16 years and I can never remember anyone, grown ups or friends refer to it as Leeedo, so its Lie doh from me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where I was a kid we just had an open air swimming pool, so didn't have any pronunciation problems. Lie-doh for me though, despite numerous lexicographers getting it wrong when compiling their dictionaries.

Had some very nice sconns the other day, by the way. Put jam and cream on them, and ett them............

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Never ever heard anyone refer to the Saltdean Lido as lee doe, its always been called the Saltdean Lie doe.
Ever since the early 70's form my recollection.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Does anyone remember the moody Saltdean Lido manager throughout the 70's.

Nobby Richardson was his name and he was an ex Brighton Tiger ice hockey player but you would never of thought he was an ex sportsman, and even with a few of my mates having their Dads also be ex Brighton Tigers he would moan at us continuously, granted we could be a pain !!

When I think of Saltdean Lido I can see Nobby in my minds eye !

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
You couldn't of visited much, all the years I went there I cannot recall anyone calling it anything other than ''Lie Doe''
We lived in Rottingdean (1962-71) and usually went down to the local pool but occasionally Mum would take us to Saltdean for a treat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
People say its Italian, fine, but maybe copied from Lilo the inflatable matress which has been popular since the 1930s.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

The Saltdean Lido CIC has worked incredibly hard, firstly to save the Lido from residential development, and then raise millions of pounds to bring it back into public use.
The Council is being very short-sighted in not granting the money to install the sub-station, as a fully renovated Lido would be a fantastic asset to the city, and the Council will be the freeholders of "One of the Seven Wonders of the Seaside"
If the money is not forthcoming, the renovation work will not resume, and the Lido will fall into further disrepair, with the Council being responsible for it's upkeep.
As usual the suburbs are being ignored in favour of city-centre projects.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Saltdean Lido CIC has worked incredibly hard, firstly to save the Lido from residential development, and then raise millions of pounds to bring it back into public use.
The Council is being very short-sighted in not granting the money to install the sub-station, as a fully renovated Lido would be a fantastic asset to the city, and the Council will be the freeholders of "One of the Seven Wonders of the Seaside"
If the money is not forthcoming, the renovation work will not resume, and the Lido will fall into further disrepair, with the Council being responsible for it's upkeep.
As usual the suburbs are being ignored in favour of city-centre projects.
£10m builds you a new indoor pool that people will use. Lidos are feast or famine depending on weather and there is a reason so many of them have failed. Saltdean was in a woeful state and whilst the idea and endeavour of the campaigners is to be applauded, I think it is unreasonable to expect the council to provide any more money with falling budgets and so much history that needs saving. The Lido CIC were handed the lease to a project that needed massive amounts of funding to become operational again so to ask for money from the council when the anticipated costs rise doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure Saltdean locals would disagree with me but I'm not so sure council tax payers from other parts of the city would.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here