Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do YOU pronounce Lido

How do YOU pronounce Lido?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well?

Most people I know seem to go with the Fido option, I think they are wrong but maybe it's me that has been pronouncing it wrong all these years. Or maybe there isn't a right or wrong?

Anyway Boz Scaggs thinks it's Leedo and although he's American that's good enough for me

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's leedo

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well?

Most people I know seem to go with the Fido option, I think they are wrong but maybe it's me that has been pronouncing it wrong all these years. Or maybe there isn't a right or wrong?

Anyway Boz Scaggs thinks it's Leedo and although he's American that's good enough for me

I've always rhymed it with Fido but, now I think about it, I pronounce it the other way for that place in Italy, Lido di Jesolo i.e rhymes with Silk Torpedo - see what I did there?

Suspect it's a word that might swing both ways.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A strange one. I always talk about leedos, generically, but the one over the hill is Saltdean Liedoe. Almost as if the two words aren't connected. I don't know why.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well?

In the Boz Scaggs song Lido is a person so probably not relevant on two counts.

Is there a connection between how people say lido and how they also say scone?

For me its lie doh.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I've never known how it's said, like "vayse" or "varse", so I just decided "liedoe" as it sounds more English. If the Italians say "lee-do" then good for them.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think in the name of a place such as Lido de Jesolo it's Leedo
But as in a swimming pool it's more common to call it Liedo

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've always rhymed it with fido, as have the 3 people I've just asked. According to the four dictionaries I've just checked it rhymes with paedo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here