Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you a smoker? Bloody well stop then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Albion have not traditionally fared too well in the month of October but current form suggests that their recent habit of remaining winless through the tenth month could be about to be broken.

And the Seagulls’ official charity is encouraging fans to break their own bad habit and ditch smoking for the month as part of a city-wide campaign.

Albion in the Community (AITC) has teamed up with city council, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, the local NHS and Do Something Different to launch Brighton Quit Club.

There are estimated to be around 58,000 smokers living in Brighton and Hove but research suggests two-thirds of that number want to quit.

The idea is that people who pledge to give up during October online at www.brighton.quitclub.me can use the free online Smoke Free Me support programme.

Research shows that people who manage to stay smoke free for 28 days are five times more likely to successfully quit for good and those who have support from friends and family are also more likely to succeed.

That is why the challenge is suitable for pubs because locals and staff can help each other. With North Stand Chat (NSC) often resembling a pub – albeit an online one – AITC has invited it to start its own quit club.

Users should visit the Brighton Quit Club website and fill in the online pledge and where it says “Quitting with” select “Other” and write NSC in the appropriate space.

They can also sign up for the Smoke Free Me online support programme on the same site.

Hopefully, once NSC users are pledged they can take to the forum’s NSC Quit Club thread and swap tips, update fellow users on their progress, encourage fellow quitters or discuss which is the world’s hardest creature. Usual NSC things.

AITC’s quit smoking challenge also dovetails neatly with the charity’s current lung cancer awareness drive which is looking to increase the awareness of symptoms and improve early detection rates across the city.

Other than the obvious health benefits, however, there is the financial rewards of giving up. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day you could save around £250 a month. Give up between October and the New Year and that is an extra £750 to spend on Christmas or more than enough for next year’s season ticket.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I rather think that it's up to me to decide if I want to stop smoking (I don't) rather than be pressured into it by campaigns like this. Just wait until the health police (I assume that you're now an honorary member) start upon beer or fatty food... The signs are there already!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I rather think that it's up to me to decide if I want to stop smoking (I don't) rather than be pressured into it by campaigns like this. Just wait until the health police (I assume that you're now an honorary member) start upon beer or fatty food... The signs are there already!

:facepalm:

Your choice of course whether you wish to smoke but there are many, MANY reasons to cut out cigs, beer and fatty food

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I gave up a 25 year habit 3 and a half years ago. I hated the way it dictated my life aswell as affecting it. Delighted that i'm not one of those statistics that are doomed to fail and smoke until death

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Currently smoking a big fat cigar, yummy...

And I really think you should consider giving up drinking. Friday nights must be costing you a fortune...:drink:

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The Albion have not traditionally fared too well in the month of October but current form suggests that their recent habit of remaining winless through the tenth month could be about to be broken.

And the Seagulls’ official charity is encouraging fans to break their own bad habit and ditch smoking for the month as part of a city-wide campaign.

Albion in the Community (AITC) has teamed up with city council, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, the local NHS and Do Something Different to launch Brighton Quit Club.

There are estimated to be around 58,000 smokers living in Brighton and Hove but research suggests two-thirds of that number want to quit.

The idea is that people who pledge to give up during October online at www.brighton.quitclub.me can use the free online Smoke Free Me support programme.

Research shows that people who manage to stay smoke free for 28 days are five times more likely to successfully quit for good and those who have support from friends and family are also more likely to succeed.

That is why the challenge is suitable for pubs because locals and staff can help each other. With North Stand Chat (NSC) often resembling a pub – albeit an online one – AITC has invited it to start its own quit club.

Users should visit the Brighton Quit Club website and fill in the online pledge and where it says “Quitting with” select “Other” and write NSC in the appropriate space.

They can also sign up for the Smoke Free Me online support programme on the same site.

Hopefully, once NSC users are pledged they can take to the forum’s NSC Quit Club thread and swap tips, update fellow users on their progress, encourage fellow quitters or discuss which is the world’s hardest creature. Usual NSC things.

AITC’s quit smoking challenge also dovetails neatly with the charity’s current lung cancer awareness drive which is looking to increase the awareness of symptoms and improve early detection rates across the city.

Other than the obvious health benefits, however, there is the financial rewards of giving up. If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day you could save around £250 a month. Give up between October and the New Year and that is an extra £750 to spend on Christmas or more than enough for next year’s season ticket.

Well that's immediately put me off giving £1 to AITC today. Smokers need to get a grip and just stop if they really want to! They get pandered to by the NHS and all sorts of other organisations, but if they can't work out the financial and health benefits themselves, I'm not throwing my hard earned money in a bucket to help them!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Campaigns like this are about helping those that WANT to give up but struggle to do so. It has nothing to do with forcing people to stop smoking.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well that's immediately put me off giving £1 to AITC today. Smokers need to get a grip and just stop if they really want to! They get pandered to by the NHS and all sorts of other organisations, but if they can't work out the financial and health benefits themselves, I'm not throwing my hard earned money in a bucket to help them!

I sort of sit on the fence on this issue. If people want to smoke fine. If they don't then fine as well.

I don't agree with the old adage that is costs the NHS Billions.

Obviously it does but when people quit they will live a lot longer and the people now living a lot longer is costing the NHS billions. Its is just delaying the cost per person until they get older

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ridiculously expensive, anti social, horrendous for your health and makes you and all of your possessions smell rank, I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to quit :eek:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I sort of sit on the fence on this issue. If people want to smoke fine. If they don't then fine as well.

I don't agree with the old adage that is costs the NHS Billions.

Obviously it does but when people quit they will live a lot longer and the people now living a lot longer is costing the NHS billions. Its is just delaying the cost per person until they get older

My Dad smoked all of his life and died of lung cancer at 78. He was diagnosed just 5 weeks before he died. When I asked the doctor about the diagnosis, she said 'We've all got to die of something'.

I smoked myself for 26 years, but fortunately don't now. I have sympathies with those trying to give up.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I knew I'd get a response like that and you are absolutely correct of course.

If you don't want to give up then don't try. There's nothing for you to see here. But if people do, then, as happens with so many things, NSC is likely to be able to form a support group of others who are doing the same thing.

That's all.

TBH i have always said the amex should be a beer free zone plus provide a healthy food option:thumbsup: As a sporting venue is must be wrong to send out the unhealthy life stlye messages to the community it represents.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I had my last cigarette 364 days ago. Had an all dayer at Watford last season and got through one and half pouches of Cutters Choice. I gave my last half pouch to a homeless guy on the walk back from Brighton station. Certainly didn't feel like one the next day and haven't really since.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
After about 2 months preparation, I stopped overnight 12 years ago after 25 years of smoking roll ups. I used the Allan Carr method, not to everyone's taste but I found his approach liberating. I still have days where I get that sense of joy that I'm free of the tyranny of smoking.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Hold on when do I have to start (stopping)?
It's just I was really looking forward to a few points and some tabs today.

Oh and smoking is a massive net benefit to the economy. Unlike voting Tory for instance.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
image.jpg
After about 2 months preparation, I stopped overnight 12 years ago after 25 years of smoking roll ups. I used the Allan Carr method, not to everyone's taste but I found his approach liberating. I still have days where I get that sense of joy that I'm free of the tyranny of smoking.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good idea. Quitting is one of the best things I ever did. I look and feel far better. Anyone who says they don't want to give up is lying to themselves and everyone else. If they could snap their fingers and be a non smoker they would. Nobody wants to be addicted to something that will eventually kill you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here