Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New build houses pros and cons

Mar 26, 2008
Eastbourne
I'm thinking of purchasing a new build house and would be interested in any advice as to pros and cons.

Possible part exchange would certainly save money but any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Suppose what budget you have , but experience tells me new builds built en masse are just thrown up.
Would never buy new build.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Horses for courses. A new build with a part exchange gives a lot of flexibility on the financial side and I am aware of situations where, last plot sold etc etc then flexible bargains can be achieved.

Down side is taking time to build the character of a property. If that is something you are either not concerned with or are prepared to take your time with then happy days.

Ensure that repairs etc are covered for so long, and 'movement cracks up to the width of a pound coin' are negotiated.

Overall, from what I am told, it can be good if it suits your circumstances.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If it new build in an area where its been added in - the neighbours [with existing property] will likely be hostile towards you as you now live on what was probably their nice view / open ground and have likely devalued their property too ....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
new properties tend to be over-priced compared to similar local stock. the fact you can get some preferential finance may more than compensate though. expect snags, expect movement and shrinkage. also new houses tend to be less roomy inside, unless upper end of the market.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We bought a new build three years ago having always thought we preferred second hand. We love the practical design, hugely energy efficient, 5 year warranty on appliances and boiler. Getting through snagging is a pain. We did p ex which worked well for us. I'd always prefer a new build now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
New Build does vary look at;
Is it Breeam Code for Sustainable homes rated (better all round performance than Building Regs)
Quality of doors & windows
Quality of kitchen, sanitary items
Quality of finishes and joinery
Lifetime Homes compliant

As someone said pros: 10 year warranty, modern build standards / high thermal performance, no decorating needs etc.
Obviously there are deals to be found with house builders, especially buying early on a large site. Cons: most of the cons will be personal taste really.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Rooms might be very small in comparison to older houses and you will have too many toilets- often more toilets than bedrooms and they will have compromised the size of the main rooms to squeeze all the toilets and en suites in.

..but it really is down to the individual house you are looking at.

http://youtu.be/NfCdiuisSIE

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I bought new build in 1976, had no snags, & enjoyed establishing the garden, rather than reorganising someone else's design. The home felt fresh & new, that no one else had spoilt. I lived there for 19 years.

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
I bought a new build 2 years ago when the estate was first put up, a mid terraced 2 bed cost me £169,000, the current 2 bed mid terraced being sold now as the estate is finished are selling for £195,000.

We have also done things like boarding the loft and made the garden low maintenance which I'm guessing will only add value, just remember don't wallpaper for the first year!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Exchanged on one a couple of weeks ago: due to complete this month. All seemed ok so far, though not moved in yet, obviously.

No real dramas yet. Didn't go into the whole adventure with a specific plan to buy new: it just seemed to fall into place. I certainly haven't been put off by the concept thus far.

Ask me again in a month or so, of course... :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bought new once, choosing the plot off a piece of paper.

Visited the site once the foundations were in and hated what we saw - the house footprint looked tiny (for what was supposed to be a large 4-bed/3-reception roomed detached house with double garage) and the garden also looked very small. We contemplated the possibility of backing out (and losing the deposit) or selling it on there and then.

As it turned out we moved in and it was great: easy to keep warm, spacious inside with lovely true walls for decorating and the garden was actually very big.

A massive tile fell off the roof and smashed through the back windscreen of our car. If my daughter had been in the car at the time, it may well have killed her, but I've had tiles come off older houses too. It happens.

The amusing thing is that due to divorce and how that transforms finances, it has turned out that the new build house may very well be the best/biggest/highest valued house I'll ever have owned.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
A new house has worked very well for both myself and my daughter who returned from Australia without her husband, but with a cash settlement from the divorce. Although I still consider her my 'little girl' she is in fact a single [no kids] women who has to work for a living, is not practical minded, works long hours with a 90 min. commute each way and so has little time or inclination to spend time with alterations etc. We were in the position to help her with a cash purchase up to £200,000 on a third each basis [wife, daughter and me]. For all the above reasons we went for a new build, a semi in a nice Suffolk village that was already built but not finished. We could offer as quick a completion as they could have the house ready, but to our final specification. So we ended up with LED lighting in kitchen, induction hob, fitted washing machine, dishwasher, flooring throughout plus a semi garage for the retail price of the house only.

My reasoning for the insistence of new was primarily low running costs and a 10 yr house build warranty. All this proving an excellent decision with her gas & electric payments minimal.

The benefit to us is it gives us a base to stay when visiting rather than using hotels, friends etc.

Conclusions, has been an excellent buy, a couple of snagging problems but sorted and if we moved back to the UK would definitely purchase new.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having done a lot of house hunting last year. Generally overpriced, smaller rooms, less storage, poor acoustic insulation, worse location, etc. But I'm sure there are exceptions.60s /70s houses are sometimes a good compromise.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here