Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HS2 contracts opened up to Chinese!.....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A potentially vast infrastructure project that could have provided work for thousands of BRITISH workers will almost certainly be outsourced. Beggars belief. What are the Tory's thinking!!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A potentially vast infrastructure project that could have provided work for thousands of BRITISH workers will almost certainly be outsourced. Beggars belief. What are the Tory's thinking!!!!

I haven't really thought too much about this, but surely those actually doing the construction would be BRITISH, and not Chinese workers shipped over from China ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I haven't really thought too much about this, but surely those actually doing the construction would be BRITISH, and not Chines workers shipped over from China ?

Well of course the labour will be British but the real money will be made and used to boost the Chinese economy. Not OURS.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I remember Harold Wilson urging us to Buy British, in the 60s, to try and retain our manufacturing. But the great British public decided that foreign goods were better quality (a lot of them were) and so the money went abroad.
Even foreign holidays were restricted to taking £50 out of the country.

D

Deleted member 22389

I haven't really thought too much about this, but surely those actually doing the construction would be BRITISH, and not Chinese workers shipped over from China ?

It will be British workers building the lines. It's only the French and Chinese that have a real experience in building high speed lines, and I don't think the government would be as stupid to suggest to the Chinese that they bring over all their own workers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The company I work for sells mainly Cisco and Huawei equipment. For Cisco we have to go through UK channels and UK companies and for Huawei we go direct from the China based business. Huawei are far more efficient than anything in the UK. I'd suggest it's British inefficiency that has caused this decision to be made.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The company I work for sells mainly Cisco and Huawei equipment. For Cisco we have to go through UK channels and UK companies and for Huawei we go direct from the China based business. Huawei are far more efficient than anything in the UK. I'd suggest it's British inefficiency that has caused this decision to be made.

Is suggest it's Tories selling us out again but there ya go. We've actually got one of the best large scale engineering companies in the world, Mott MacDonald based in Brighton. A world class, highly respected company with a superb history of building global infrastructure projects. But no, prob bit cheaper for foreigners to do it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

D

Deleted member 22389

Is suggest it's Tories selling us out again but there ya go. We've actually got one of the best large scale engineering companies in the world, Mott MacDonald based in Brighton. A world class, highly respected company with a superb history of building global infrastructure projects. But no, prob bit cheaper for foreigners to do it.

Mott Macdonald never heard of them before, do they have any large factories in Brighton and manufacture anything?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Mott Macdonald never heard of them before, do they have any large factories in Brighton and manufacture anything?

Seriously never heard of MM? They have their head office next to Brighton station. One of the world's largest and most prolific engineering companies, consultants and infrastructure experts. They are massive.

https://www.mottmac.com

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

And there's the challenge for any government. Do you build something big using the high cost of British inefficiency thus securing British jobs but to the detriment of the taxpayer or do you use efficient foreign companies but to the detriment of British jobs ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
And there's the challenge for any government. Do you build something big using the high cost of British inefficiency thus securing British jobs but to the detriment of the taxpayer or do you use efficient foreign companies but to the detriment of British jobs ?

This is assuming one believes that the British are inefficient. I do not.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003

I'd suggest you might not know what you're talking about - Mott Macdonald are already engaged (but there ya go...)
http://www.building.co.uk/hs2-appoints-engineers-and-consultants/5048127.article

This is about harnessing the best global expertise in building high speed lines, and also capturing the cheapest long-term financing, which is currently coming from global pension and sovereign funds. HS1 was built using French designs, under a Labour Government incidentally, and is owned by two Canadian pension funds. All for a similar reason - it means the government carries less debt, and keeps ownership costs down (which should reduce passenger journey costs).

As an aside, interesting chart here from the Economist looking at British Railway ownership...

20151003_brc029_0.png

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd suggest you might not know what you're talking about - Mott Macdonald are already engaged (but there ya go...)
http://www.building.co.uk/hs2-appoints-engineers-and-consultants/5048127.article

This is about harnessing the best global expertise in building high speed lines, and also capturing the cheapest long-term financing, which is currently coming from global pension and sovereign funds. HS1 was built using French designs, under a Labour Government incidentally, and is owned by two Canadian pension funds. All for a similar reason - it means the government carries less debt, and keeps ownership costs down (which should reduce passenger journey costs).

As an aside, interesting chart here from the Economist looking at British Railway ownership...

View attachment 68929

Funnily enough I was wondering if they'd already be in there. Just goes to prove my point, a fantastic company. Excellent to hear MM are involved, keep some of that money in the UK. Lovely stuff.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's like the Tories have set this country up as a giant car boot sale for the rest of the world to plunder. So much for the great patriots, giving away this country's assets to the rest of the world for over three decades.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bc9d5f1919b7039314768cfba67cb380f6867f6b.jpg
    bc9d5f1919b7039314768cfba67cb380f6867f6b.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 431

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But if you lose UK jobs, then through welfare costs, that is also at the cost of the taxpayer, so your option 2 is lose, lose.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But if you lose UK jobs, then through welfare costs, that is also at the cost of the taxpayer, so your option 2 is lose, lose.

Exactly. Which is why the French in particular always bend EU laws to secure French jobs and thus why they still actually make things there, like their own cars. It is also why closing all the pits in the '80s was such piss poor decision.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here