Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How times have changed, thankfully....

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
I clearly remember the West Bromwich Albion team of 1978 really catching my and other people's attention for a very particular reason.
What was it about that team that was so attention grabbing? What set them apart from all the other teams in the top division of that year?
It was the first time a top-flight club had regularly fielded three black players in their team! Yes THREE black players. Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham (RIP) and Brendan Batson
In terms of my lifetime it really wasn't that long ago and I can't believe that something like that created such a stir and is a real reflection of the times i grew up in.
My first recollection of a black player was Clyde Best of West Ham from about 1969 who I remember more for the fact that I had a football playing card of him otherwise I might not have been that aware of him as I was very young, too young to stay up for match of the day, the only regular outlet for televised football at the time.
My first recollection of a black Brighton player was Dave Busby. It was in the days when you were only allowed one sub and he seemed to be a regular unused substitute in 1974. I remember being quite excited at the prospect of him finally getting to make an appearance as I had this irrational idealistic belief that because he was black he'd be a brilliant player. I remember waiting with trepidation for him to finally make an appearance. And then one match he was finally called on to make an appearance! Unfortunately the reality didn't quite match the dream and I must confess to being slightly disappointed in him. Not because he was a bad player, but I'd unfairly built him up in my mind into something he wouldn't necessarily achieve in reality for the simple reason he was black! I'm wondering if it was an inverse form of racism on my part that because he was black I expected a much higher level of achievement from him than I would a white player in order to attain a level of appreciation from me. I hope not.
article-2219235-158C5099000005DC-870_634x376.jpg
West Brom 1978

1974-75team.jpg
BHA 1974

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Dave Busby was outstanding when he played for Worthing after being released by the Albion. He just wasn't quite up to professional standard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here