Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Presenter on BT just coming out with the usual 'great night for English football' bollocks.
Why?
Surely it is just a great night for Utd and City fans. Does anyone else really give a shit?
It is a 'great night for English football' when England win, not when some foreign owned, day tripper supported, 'brand' win.
Anyone else feel the same? I used to support English teams in Europe but now I really don't care.

Presenter on BT just coming out with the usual 'great night for English football' bollocks.
Why?
Surely it is just a great night for Utd and City fans. Does anyone else really give a shit?
It is a 'great night for English football' when England win, not when some foreign owned, day tripper supported, 'brand' win.
Anyone else feel the same? I used to support English teams in Europe but now I really don't care.

And yet you watched it.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
And yet you watched it.
Err yes.
I simply asked if it is a 'great night for English football'? I was hoping Wolfzberg would beat Utd, but not particularly bothered either way.
My question was does anyone think this is a 'great for English football'?

You could contribute rather than reply with what was meant to be a 'clever' judgmental comment.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Yes, I care. It increases the chances of there still being 4 CL places available for English teams. We're going to need one of them soon.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Makes no odds to me if our clubs get 2. 3 or 4 places. The National side is average at best, so what do I care if the money men buy a place at the Euro trough?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And yet you watched it.

I watched it -- or the United game at least -- and it was a great night for football, absolutely cracking game between two high quality teams. But the OP seems to be having a pop at presenter hyperbole, rather than the football itself.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I love the Champions League as very often the matches are of a high quality. I pretty much always want the team from England or Scotland to win, can't see any harm in that.

So long as the tournament isn't actually the "Champions" league then I think it's fantastic seeing 4 of our teams competing against teams who play different styles of the game. Some of the stadiums in places like Turkey and Greece provide great entertainment too (obviously for some all that 'displaying' and orchestrated chanting makes them cringe, but having experienced some of it, it's great)

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, I care. It increases the chances of there still being 4 CL places available for English teams. We're going to need one of them soon.

I'm giving this a thumbs up for optimism :)

Personally, I have no interest in the European Cup anymore. But then again, I have no interest in the Premier League either. I'm really only interested in the Albion and the league that my team are in at any given stage.

I got tickets for the 'Prawn Sandwich Lounge' at the Emirates on Tuesday. I have to say, it was mightily impressive - as a restaurant! The tickets cost £12,000 a year (each). I didn't pay a penny for them.

The food was great. The champagne and wine was free. We got to 7.40pm (5 minutes before kick off) and our main course had not yet arrived, and yet the waiter was happy to still serve it so that we'd miss the kick off. We declined, but others were still eating. To be honest, I didn't blame them, it was great food and they could just as easily watch them game from their table as there was a screen by each booth.

Even whilst watching them game, it was all so sterile. The only enjoyable part was being positioned towards the Olympiakos fans who at least knew how to generate an atmosphere. As for the Arsenal fans - not a peep. Arsene has put them to sleep with his crafty form of exciting boredom. He's managed to create the ultimate team that will look entertaining and yet send you to sleep because the passion isn't really there.

I left thinking 'meh!' - it was ok. I had nothing better to do that night. And that's it. That's the problem. There was a time when had I been offered tickets for a European Cup tie at Highbury then I would have gone mental with excitement. Now, "meh!"

Let's get back to the European Cup being a knock-out competition. And the Europa league too. But hey, that would generate the millions for the money men would it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not interested in The Champions League until it reverts back to being for the Champions only, probably never. All countries should have 1 entry and bring back the Cup Winners Cup and extend the Eufa Cup (inter city fairs cup as was) for those failing to be champions. I know this will never happen but I can wish.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not interested in The Champions League until it reverts back to being for the Champions only, probably never. All countries should have 1 entry and bring back the Cup Winners Cup and extend the Eufa Cup (inter city fairs cup as was) for those failing to be champions. I know this will never happen but I can wish.

I think I must be a fellow dinosaur, l agree with you 100%.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just out of interest, would you say the standard of the competition is greater now, or back then

The competition in terms of ability may well be stronger now, after all, in the old format it had the champions from some pretty small, and in footballing terms insignificant countries taking part. I just feel it has lost a lot of its relevance.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I do sort of agree although to win the European Cup nowadays you do (generally) actually have to play and beat the best teams at some point in the competition. Whereas in the old straight knockout format with only Champions in it you didn't necessarily.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do sort of agree although to win the European Cup nowadays you do (generally) actually have to play and beat the best teams at some point in the competition. Whereas in the old straight knockout format with only Champions in it you didn't necessarily.
If it came back, which it wont do because of TV, the teams could be seeded for the draws so that the better teams probably got through to play each other in the later stages rather than Barcelona V Bayern Munich and Man Utd v PSG in the first round.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If you don't follow a team in it, the BT 'Goals Now' ? as they happen prog is fun, going live across all 8 games to the one with a key action point and watching the penalty, box free kick live and instant goals & Frank Boughs seconds after they have happened.
Faster than Jeff and with pics but sadly no Jeff

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I love the champions league, but it does seem a little odd that the 'best team in Europe' could actually end up being 2nd or 3rd best in their own country.

Having said that, I don't think I'd be interested in the competition if it was only the champions taking part.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If it came back, which it wont do because of TV, the teams could be seeded for the draws so that the better teams probably got through to play each other in the later stages rather than Barcelona V Bayern Munich and Man Utd v PSG in the first round.
Yes they could but, as you say it'll never happen anyway and I was just comparing the previous incarnation of the competition to what we have now.

Bloated by too many teams and the name being bollocks because non Champions win it, yes. A fairer way of deciding who the best team in Europe is, also yes.

I'd be happier if they'd stop calling it the Champions League as with so many non champion teams in it a return to "The European Cup" would make a lot more sense.

And it'd provide more fuel for idiots who confuse it with The European Championship. Which is always amusing.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
If you don't follow a team in it, the BT 'Goals Now' ? as they happen prog is fun, going live across all 8 games to the one with a key action point and watching the penalty, box free kick live and instant goals & Frank Boughs seconds after they have happened.
Faster than Jeff and with pics but sadly no Jeff

that's a great idea - how do i watch this? is this online or on the telly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here