Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swift Sports Retirement Sale

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
After over 40 years of business and at the age of 76 my dad, who owns Swift Sports in Grand Parade, has decided to call it a day.

On the basis that many NSCers have probably bought something from him over the years I promised him I'd let the world of NSC know that he's having a retirement sale and has lots of great stock to clear between now and Christmas!

And if any old regulars just want to pass by and reminisce about the days of the white Jimmy Greaves boot and wooden tennis rackets I'm sure he'd also be happy to have a chat!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'm really sorry to hear this. I bought my scout uniform from Swift Sports (well, my Mum did) and always remember
a friendly and great service. Please pass on my best wishes to your Dad.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Many fond memories of Swifts - may well pop in. Good luck to your dad. Having said that he was rarely willing to haggle (even on mutiple Copa Mundial purchases)!

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Swifts and David Rose, the two bastions of Brighton sports shops. Happy retirement, got any

mcenroe-maxply.jpg

left over?

Best wishes

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Was your mum also involved in the running of the shop and if so did she lead the Southwick Cub pack?

Yes, she's still doing the books now - he may have managed to be in business over 40 years but my dad still can't add up! They're both still involved with Southwick scout group as well.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
features (albeit under a psuedonym) in Fatty Batter by Michael Simkins. story of an inept cricketer from N Laine.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Had never heard of that but just googled and looks good, worth a read?

yes it is worth a read... not much coverage about the shop but still full of bton references from north road / north laine /steine etc

I have had my bat re-gripped possibly about a million times by your old man! lovely fellow

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does he still have the cinema style seats in there?

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Yes, she's still doing the books now - he may have managed to be in business over 40 years but my dad still can't add up! They're both still involved with Southwick scout group as well.

Remember them well, particularly your mum as I didn't last too long in the scouts. My nan used to live on Grove Hill so used to pop in regularly on Saturdays, they always had time for a chat. One thing I do remember is the bright orange football they supplied for our cub games, not sure what it was made of , I suspect concrete. You learned very quickly when heading only to give it a glancing flick at best. One of the opposition tied to chest it down once and took no further part in the proceedings.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Best wishes to your dad, hope he has a happy retirement.
I was only thinking about Swift Sports yesterday because it was mentioned on a thread about football boots.

Remember going in there as a kid and getting a football shirt for school and some cricket gear on another visit.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had never heard of that but just googled and looks good, worth a read?

Worth a read for sure, especially if you've ever played any village cricket. Simkins was the after dinner speaker at our cricket club dinner a couple of years ago - people were crying with laughter. Very funny.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
All my sports kit until I was about 17 came from there - wonderful place. Have a very happy retirement

Jul 7, 2003
I bought my last pair of football 'boots' in there - a pair of Puma King Astro's - a couple of years ago. I didn't want to pay as much as I did but it was the only place around with proper service, a range of sizes and people who actually knew what they were talking about when I said I needed something for a wider foot.

So sad to see another of the old sports shops disappear but hope your parents enjoy their well earned retirement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here