Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Please help! For some reason I've always remembered that Middlesboro........

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
For some reason I've always remembered that Middlesboro, Luton and Carlisle all got promoted from the old second division (todays Championship) to the old first division (todays Premier) at the end of the 1973/74 season but I have no idea why. It is the only complete promotion or relegation statistic I remember of any year or any division. I don't even remember any complete relegation or promotion combinations in which Brighton were involved. I don't have any relation to either Middlesboro, Luton or Carlisle so why does that promotional triumvirate stick in my mind ? ???

Last edited:

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
I have just looked at each of their respective squads for the 1973/74 season and coincidentally all three teams each had one player in their squad for that year who later went on to play for Brighton.
Prize for the first person who can name all three of those players.

theboybilly

I'm guessing it may be because it was Carlisle's first ever spell in the top flight (maybe Luton's too - without looking it up I don't know) without either club ever achieving much before. You may just remember Boro because of the other two. Or was it because Palace got relegated :lolol:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I think after 9 games Carlisle where top then only won 2 more games all season.

Could be wro g again though!

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Just looked it up and it was 74/5 season Carlisle topped the table but only after 3games and got relegated. Sorry about that.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
For some reason the image of Middlesboro's blonde balding David Armstrong has always stayed with me. It certainly wasn't a man crush.
middlesbrough-david-armstrong-255-panini-football-78-sticker-5134-p.jpg

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have just looked at each of their respective squads for the 1973/74 season and coincidentally all three teams each had one player in their squad for that year who later went on to play for Brighton.
Prize for the first person who can name all three of those players.

Malcolm Poskett for Middlesbrough and Graham Winstanley for Carlisle. Luton........

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Ken Goodeve from Luton signed by Clough

Poskett and Winstanley correct. Goodeve wasn't who I was thinking of but you might be right too though can't find him in any squad list of that season but found other evidence in an article that he played for Luton in their promotion side.
I was thinking of Don Shanks.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm guessing it may be because it was Carlisle's first ever spell in the top flight (maybe Luton's too - without looking it up I don't know) without either club ever achieving much before. You may just remember Boro because of the other two. Or was it because Palace got relegated :lolol:
Carlisle's ONLY spell in the top flight. Luton had spent years in the first division before that. It might have been Middlesbrough's first foray into division 1 too, unless they were there before the war or something.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was thinking of Don Shanks.
Well, it would have been a long time before anyone else thought of Don Shanks - for some reason he seems to be a sort of forgotten man among Brighton fans. I admit I wasn't that thrilled when we signed him, but watching him live at the Goldstone I came to see just how bl00dy good he was. Our best ever right back, IMHO.
Shagged a Miss World too.........................

theboybilly

Carlisle's ONLY spell in the top flight. Luton had spent years in the first division before that. It might have been Middlesbrough's first foray into division 1 too, unless they were there before the war or something.

You are correct, thank you. I had a mate from Carlisle at the time who was so excited when they went up. They went top after winning their first three games if I remember correctly, but were subsequently relegated. I can't say I remember Luton being in the top flight before the 70s though. Middlesbrough were a fairly big club in their time and had many star players. Always overshadowed by the North East's big two clubs though.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Goodeve wasn't who I was thinking of but you might be right too though can't find him in any squad list of that season but found other evidence in an article that he played for Luton in their promotion side.

Goodeve started season 1973-74 with Luton but didn't make a league appearance (he had made 7 starts and 4 sub appearances the season before). He became Clough's first signing for Albion on December 6 1973, for 20k.

He would make only 5 starts (plus 1 sub appearance) before joining Watford the following June, for 10k.

He was then an ever-present for Watford in 1974-75 - as they got relegated from Division Three.

He had captained the Manchester United youth team in his early days.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
You've actually got a pic there showing you exactly how to spell the name yet you still can't do it! It's rather odd for somebody who uses words like triumvirate .

But surely you noticed how the apostrophe serves a dual purpose as a singular abbreviation possessive signifier. I thought it was rather obvious myself.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Goodeve started season 1973-74 with Luton but didn't make a league appearance (he had made 7 starts and 4 sub appearances the season before). He became Clough's first signing for Albion on December 6 1973, for 20k.

He would make only 5 starts (plus 1 sub appearance) before joining Watford the following June, for 10k.

He was then an ever-present for Watford in 1974-75 - as they got relegated from Division Three.

He had captained the Manchester United youth team in his early days.

Ah - Ken Goodeve!
One of our earliest high price (comparatively)/ high expectation signings who turned out cr@p.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here