Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laughs

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No it hasn't. It's like when some fans wrongly go nuts that a player hasn't put the ball in the quadrant for a corner kick. The curve of the ball still overhangs the line. Spot on decision by the ref and his assistant.

Diving has evolved to the point where some players, rather than just throwing themselves to the ground, now grab the ball as if it was so obviously a foul, forcing the ref to make a decision (and it usually goes in their favour). Perhaps the defender was trying that.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Picking the ball up and running with it seems a very strange thing for a professional footballer to do, surely he'd simply pass it back to the keeper.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34399648

Ridiculous!

a) why would you pick the ball up in that situation as a defender?
b) it has quite clearly crossed the line FFS. Shocking decision!

The camera angle shows that the base of the ball has crossed the line, but the 'diameter' of the fattest part of the ball doesn't cross the line, it's on it. Like [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] has just said, it's the same with corner kicks where it looks like the ball is placed outside of the quadrant but actually looking at the ball from an aerial view will usually show it is touching the line.

Goal-line technology would show that as being 'no goal' if it were between the sticks.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Correct decision.
The ball was still overhanging the line.

cough Watford cough

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, I think on reflection the decision was right, and certainly very close if not. But it is funny how you see so many instances of the ball incorrectly given as over the line.

Never mind Watford, cough 1966 cough!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm more concerned about the linesman running across the pitch when the ball is still in play!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes, I think on reflection the decision was right, and certainly very close if not. But it is funny how you see so many instances of the ball incorrectly given as over the line.

Never mind Watford, cough 1966 cough!

It's my pet hate of football that. I reckon 90% of 'close call' throw ins are incorrectly given - ie the whole of the ball hasn't crossed the whole of the line. That said if there was a hawk-eye type thing on every line it would cause a lot of problems as players also perceive a ball as 'out of play' a lot when it isn't.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm more concerned about the linesman running across the pitch when the ball is still in play!

Made me laugh - Are linos meant to stand there for penaltys these days - I've only ever noticed it for pen shoot-outs?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No it hasn't. It's like when some fans wrongly go nuts that a player hasn't put the ball in the quadrant for a corner kick. The curve of the ball still overhangs the line. Spot on decision by the ref and his assistant.

Diving has evolved to the point where some players, rather than just throwing themselves to the ground, now grab the ball as if it was so obviously a foul, forcing the ref to make a decision (and it usually goes in their favour). Perhaps the defender was trying that.

The camera angle shows that the base of the ball has crossed the line, but the 'diameter' of the fattest part of the ball doesn't cross the line, it's on it. Like [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] has just said, it's the same with corner kicks where it looks like the ball is placed outside of the quadrant but actually looking at the ball from an aerial view will usually show it is touching the line.

Goal-line technology would show that as being 'no goal' if it were between the sticks.

Correct decision.
The ball was still overhanging the line.

cough Watford cough

Ball was clearly out.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

theboybilly

I don't recall a player being penalised in an instance like this so it just goes to show the tactic works

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I think it was possibly you on the Watford 'no goal (correct decision) thread that was arguing it was clearly a goal? From an arial / side on view, the WHOLE of the ball (ie not just the bit touching the ground) has to be over the WHOLE of the white line. If there's 1mm of leather and paint overlapping then it is technically still in play. I'm pretty sure that ball is overlapping hence correct decision...

When I did a refs course we did the 'ball in or out' thing with a bog roll and ball. from a similar angle to that all on the course said it was out. It was actually in, as we found out when we walked over to the ball and did an arial view of it. It's a common misconception in football and the rule is probably 'broken' at least a few times per game (ie a throw in or corner etc is given when it shouldn't have been given in theory.)

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008

It's not physically 'touching' the line, but the ball looks to me as though it could be overhanging the line. If it is, then it is the correct call. Difficult to tell without an aerial or side-on camera angle.

If there is daylight between the ball and line from an aerial view (rather than from the camera angle above) then it would be deemed as out of play, as the WHOLE of the ball has crossed the line.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think it was possibly you on the Watford 'no goal (correct decision) thread that was arguing it was clearly a goal? From an arial / side on view, the WHOLE of the ball (ie not just the bit touching the ground) has to be over the WHOLE of the white line. If there's 1mm of leather and paint overlapping then it is technically still in play. I'm pretty sure that ball is overlapping hence correct decision...

When I did a refs course we did the 'ball in or out' thing with a bog roll and ball. from a similar angle to that all on the course said it was out. It was actually in, as we found out when we walked over to the ball and did an arial view of it. It's a common misconception in football and the rule is probably 'broken' at least a few times per game (ie a throw in or corner etc is given when it shouldn't have been given in theory.)

I'm not sure if that was me or not to be honest, memory isn't the best!
Although reading your post has made me think another way. I think of the Hawk-Eye system in Tennis, and even if the slimmest edge of the tennis ball is on the line (even when the base is clearly off the line), the ball is 'in'.
I imagine the same rule applies to football, which is what I think you're stating?

Really difficult to call as the ball is clearly over the line in the pic, but an aerial picture may likely show otherwise.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure if that was me or not to be honest, memory isn't the best!
Although reading your post has made me think another way. I think of the Hawk-Eye system in Tennis, and even if the slimmest edge of the tennis ball is on the line (even when the base is clearly off the line), the ball is 'in'.
I imagine the same rule applies to football, which is what I think you're stating?

Really difficult to call as the ball is clearly over the line in the pic, but an aerial picture may likely show otherwise.

Nope - completely different. Tennis rule is if a part of the actual ball itself touches any of the line - hence the oval shape on hawk-eye - that's the ball in motion and the shape it makes when bouncing. Football is the whole of the physical ball itself - nothing to do with anything actually 'touching' the line - the bottom of the football is entirely irrelevant. In this situation it would be easy to tell if it's in or not with the correct camara angle as the ball is stopped dead too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here