Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping in the States

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I got my wife to get some dollars for next week when we are off to NY (Ooh look at me ) and asked her to get plenty of one dollar bills for tipping. The woman in the bureau said,"don't offer a dollar to anyone like a porter or the like as they would see it as an insult. They'd expect 5 dollars."
I thought she must be mad, I wouldn't give anyone the equivalent of £3.50 for carry my case.
What you say ? and what's the going rate for tipping in a bar or restaurant. The whole tipping business makes me feel uneasy.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
At bars; $1 - $2 tips for drinks.
Dining out or other similar services; 10% - 15%

I carry my own bags so wouldn't know about Porters but I would agree that anything under $5 would be insulting.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Amerika appears to be powerless to introduce gun control, or provide adequate health care for its people or give workers a reasonable amount of annual leave, but you'd like to think they could at least rustle up enough decency to introduce the minimum wage. It's not like they're short of a bob or two, in global terms. What a backward excuse for a nation.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
At bars; $1 - $2 tips for drinks.
Dining out or other similar services; 10% - 15%

I carry my own bags so wouldn't know about Porters but I would agree that anything under $5 would be insulting.

I would say $1 per drink, unless paying with a credit card, in which case add 15%.

You'll also get beaten up if you only tip 10% in restaurants these days. 15-20% is the norm now.

But yes, pack a smaller bag and carry it yourself, then you don't have to worry about tipping porters.

And save yourself a fortune by going to eat or drink in Queens or Brooklyn rather than Manhattan.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yeah its a cultural thing. Just get into the swing of it and always add 15%, unless you genuinely get crap service. Thats very rare though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tipping a dollar a drink in bars is essential. If it's a very busy bar go higher for a quick service.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I would say $1 per drink, unless paying with a credit card, in which case add 15%.

You'll also get beaten up if you only tip 10% in restaurants these days. 15-20% is the norm now.

Exactly this: 10% would be seen as if you'd had a problem with their service. It might seem a bit weird but you are in effect paying the waiting staff's wages and, annoyingly intrusive though they can be, they do work hard in return.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Amerika appears to be powerless to introduce gun control, or provide adequate health care for its people or give workers a reasonable amount of annual leave, but you'd like to think they could at least rustle up enough decency to introduce the minimum wage. It's not like they're short of a bob or two, in global terms. What a backward excuse for a nation.

I think you are forgetting what a great country it really is.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Went to the states last year and tipped what I thought was fair, sometimes nothing sometimes 20 percent. I hate feeling compelled to tip. When I didn't tip there was never anything said. Also make sure service has not already been added.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One thing to be aware of is when paying for your meal in a restaurant, they will take your card away and give it you back with a receipt not including tip....you add on the amount you want to tip and leave the receipt ....it is a bit alarming as they then debit the card later including the tip amount.

I asked for them to being the card reader over but they didn't do that...this happened in three places.

I also asked if I could tip the waitress direct, as you hear about all the issues with tips being taken by the owners, but she said she couldn't take it direct.

If you order direct for a taxi...use super shuttle on the web for airport transfers etc, you can add the tip on when you pay initially. Gets over the hassle with wondering what to pay.

Dec 29, 2011

Agree with you, but they do actually have a minimum wage. Also most states have got rid of the 'tips make up wages' think AFAIK but I might be wrong on that. I rarely tip in the UK and don't like to in the US, but I feel inclined especially if I know it makes up ther wages. The owner should be paying wages though, not taking my money and asking me to pay their staff too

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One thing to be aware of is when paying for your meal in a restaurant, they will take your card away and give it you back with a receipt not including tip....you add on the amount you want to tip and leave the receipt ....it is a bit alarming as they then debit the card later including the tip amount.

I asked for them to being the card reader over but they didn't do that...this happened in three places.

I also asked if I could tip the waitress direct, as you hear about all the issues with tips being taken by the owners, but she said she couldn't take it direct.

If you order direct for a taxi...use super shuttle on the web for airport transfers etc, you can add the tip on when you pay initially. Gets over the hassle with wondering what to pay.

That's interesting because that's the opposite of what I do here. I always put the tip down in cash even if I've paid for the meal on card just so that the tip doesn't go through the system and then - as I've always presumed - becomes taxable.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That's interesting because that's the opposite of what I do here. I always put the tip down in cash even if I've paid for the meal on card just so that the tip doesn't go through the system and then - as I've always presumed - becomes taxable.

They are taxed on tips, wether they receive them or not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

We are the same, we occasionally add a tip to the bill, but in most uk restaurants service charges are added to the bill....it's a bit like cruising where tips are added to every transaction, 17.5% on each drinks bill, etc etc. As well as 11 dollars a day per person for tips to cabin steward, waiters, bar staff, etc etc....it can add up especially if you are doing a 2 week cruise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here