Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prague

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My wife has booked us a weekend in Prague on Friday, for my 40th.
Any tips on things to do, restaurants and bars to recommend?
We're staying at the Hotel Paris and we arrive on Friday afternoon.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Yeah, not the greatest timing, I had two games of rugby to play this weekend too, on top of the Albion Fixture.
I've reprimanded her quite severely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Goldfingers !

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Go to some of the classical music concerts they hold every night -

I wasn't a fan - but they are really great.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My wife has booked us a weekend in Prague on Friday, for my 40th.
Any tips on things to do, restaurants and bars to recommend?
We're staying at the Hotel Paris and we arrive on Friday afternoon.

Try the Jewish cemetery, which is fascinating. The Charles Bridge is very pretty and the Hradschny Castle ( I think that is how you spell it) is worth a visit, if you like history. Insist on seeing the window where they threw out the Catholic missionaries, which started the 30 years war! The old town is lovely and Prague is the best we have seen.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Try the Jewish cemetery, which is fascinating. The Charles Bridge is very pretty and the Hradschny Castle ( I think that is how you spell it) is worth a visit, if you like history. Insist on seeing the window where they threw out the Catholic missionaries, which started the 30 years war! The old town is lovely and Prague is the best we have seen.

another vote for the jewish cemetery.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't bother with Wenceslas (sp?) Square, it's a monumental rip off, and there are far better restaurants and bars elsewhere. The castle is quite stunning, the river and bridges are iconic. You'll eat a lot of pork and cheese, unless you're a veggie, as they seem to be the staple diet. The bars are often subterranean, just a little sticking out sign above a doorway, they are very welcoming, and serve a vareity of amazing beers. The architecture is quite something to see, the only capital city in Europe that wasn't bombed in WWII, or something like that, so no concrete jungle, no glass high rises. I found nothing about the city that pissed me off.

Oh, and get in one of the open topped car tours, we had a Pakistani driver, who had lived in Brighton, and intersected his guided tour of the city with reminiscing of watching Sussex and adoring Mushtaq Ahmed

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Went many moons ago. Loads of free leaflets given out here, there and everywhere for free church concerts, another Jewish Cemetery vote and we also went to Terezin on a trip. Just missed out on the 2015 running of the historical and world famous Pardubicka horse race on October 11 with the stone wall fences.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Only use AAA (Bright yellow) taxis. You can phone them, and they will tell you how much your trip will be.
Its worth getting 3 day travel pass. Trams run all night, and the pass covers all of Prague. Metro, trams and buses...and venicular railway.
Tram 22 from Narodni Divadlo (opposite Slava Cafe by bridge) takes you up to the castle back door. Its always better to walk down.
Petrin hill on the castle side of the river has venicular railway to the top. Great views, and a beer garden
Eat and drink away from the center. You wont find any Czech people partying in the center except in a few places. Mostly
they party away from the center. Andel, Zizkov, Vinohrady. As a Czech colleague put it, all the cooks in Prague train at the same cookery school, so the food is as good in the center as it is on the outskirts.

Strahov monastry up on the hill near the castle makes its own beer, but theres more bars than you can shake a stick at.
Karlstejn castle where they used to keep the crown jewels is about a 35 min train trip out of Prague.

For an italian meal thats of reasonable prices with fantastic views, theres is a boat opposite the castle, Grossetti or Grossetto..Its by Jan Palach square Best views of the castle you will find whilst eating.

There is big mall in Namesti Republiky (Paladium) big food hall upstairs on top floor with all the usual McD, BurgerKing, KFC, Lebanese, Indian, Chinese food etc at reasonable prices.
If I think of anything else during the day, ill send you pm.
Let me know what sort of music, food and bars you favour.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, not the greatest timing, I had two games of rugby to play this weekend too, on top of the Albion Fixture.
I've reprimanded her quite severely.

:needpics:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I liked Prague. Went twice. Did find there was a lot of graffiti about the place which was a shame.

A nice river trip on a boat along with a visit to the Old town were great.Obviously Charles bridge is a must do also.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I liked Prague. Went twice. Did fine a lot of graffiti about the place which was a shame.

A nice river trip on a boat along with a visit to the Old town were great.Obviously Charles bridge is a must do also.

The amount of grafitti in Zizkov is unbelievable. I should have taken a picture, but there was a car next to a wall. The grafitti spread over wall onto the car!.
It is a shame on the nice buildings though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
With stag do drink taken, seem to vaguely recall being steered into some kind of multi-storey club at the town end of the big bridge. Top night!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The amount of grafitti in Zizkov is unbelievable. I should have taken a picture, but there was a car next to a wall. The grafitti spread over wall onto the car!.
It is a shame on the nice buildings though.

It's a real shame. I stayed away from the main square(about 20 mins or so) up a steep hill. The year i went it suffered really bad flooding. Parts were shut off.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
With stag do drink taken, seem to vaguely recall being steered into some kind of multi-storey club at the town end of the big bridge. Top night!

Karlovy lázně. Pretty expensive drinks though. Different music on the different floors.

The place I like best is a place called Le Clan. Its behind the museum in a residential street. You wouldnt even notice the place if you were unaware. Place is huge. Goes down 3 floors. Not something I condone myself, but its the only place in the world ive seen cocaine done openly. Glass tables should have been a clue. Even glass shelves in the toilets. Doesnt get going till 4 or 5 in the morning though, so hard work. A lot of the dancers from the caberets got their after work, so generally full of fit women.
http://www.leclan.cz/index.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here