Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please Parking ticket gurus

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Have read much about parking tickets on NSC

My daughter got a parking ticket today from UKPC (UK parking control)
her offence was parking over a white line ie not completly in the box,
I (and a few others) have advised her not to pay as its NOT a council issued notice its a private car park at a office block.
Is that the correct advice?

The demand for £100 is well over the top as well.

Any thoughts please.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sounds like good advice. £100 is OTT for such a minor offence (that probably didn't cost anyone a penny), and they'd have to get a county court order to enforce it. They probably won't even bother trying but hope that people are naive and pay up without questioning it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As advised on the last thread about this for the love of christ do not seek the opinion of a certain sons Grandad who posts on here

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If it's a private car park (nothing to do with the council) then it's not actually a fine.
Only council car parks can issue fines.
It's an invitation to make a payment.
An invoice if you like.
Legally, they can only ask you to pay an amount equaling any money they may have lost.
So, offer to pay the going rate for the car park for the time you were effectively "double" parked.
They won't fight you as they won't win.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disregarding what all the experts have posted I have never lost an appeal on a parking issue either private parking or council. Councils usually dont follow it through to a hearing due to the cost etc. The best advice is for you to ask the same question on peppipoo.co.uk. You will get expert advice and 1 lady who posts on there also posts on here. and with great knowledge.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
So best to just ignore?
Just read a few websites and these companies threaten alll sorts but most say ignore......only one says appeal but then that gives UKPC your contact details which they cant get from DVLA without paying a fee.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Don't pay it!, I used to know someone who worked for them, he told me not to pay it I'd I ever got one. They will send you letters demanding payment, threatening g you with court action etc. The letters will become more and more demanding. They do this to try and force you to pay. Do not respond and do not pay. As far as you are concerned, or your daughter for the matter, she has not recieved such letters.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That was designed to help us win the league. Have you a better suggestion of a midfielder we could get who could do the job?

I don't know how good Beram Kayal or Dale Stephens are at paying parking tickets. I do however know a court bailiff who had to collect a fine plus costs from Zaha for not paying Manchester council a parking fine, so he's definitely not the man we need.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The ticket fine will increase and they may sell it on to another debt collecting agency they are very aggressive.
Make sure you got evidence that you are appealing if that the route you going. I got a ticket that although I had permission to park I still ended up paying £200. Just be carful they are bunch of xxxxx

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
The ticket fine will increase and they may sell it on to another debt collecting agency they are very aggressive.
Make sure you got evidence that you are appealing if that the route you going. I got a ticket that although I had permission to park I still ended up paying £200. Just be carful they are bunch of xxxxx

Why did you pay?
most people ( and websites are saying they are non enforcable) just interested.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Debt collection agencies have to abide by the law and can only force payment if it is a council issued ticket or if
they have won a county court judgement. Was your original ticket issued by a the council, or were you taken to court?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Then you didn't fight it properly. Firstly there is no real debt so it can't possibly be sold or assigned. The private parking company passes on the alleged debt to a debt collecting company ( although in many PPCs this is just the next door desk that has different headed note paper ). Regardless, in these instances the debt collector can NOT take you to court - only the landowner or the PPC if the landowner has assigned them the rights to do so ( which is rare and the PPC can't then re-assign those rights ).

And all of this doesn't even scratch the surface of the fact that most PPCs don't abide by POFA and so can't hold the registered keeper liable.

Why did you pay?
most people ( and websites are saying they are non enforcable) just interested.

So I'm assuming this was in England. So your daughter should not ignore it. If it was a windscreen ticket then she needs to wait for the Notice to Keeper ( assuming she's the keeper ). Then appeal - look at the Newbies thread on the MSE parking forum for the wording. UKPC will reject it.

UKPC - aka UK Parking Control ( please check that really is who issued the ticket as many people get confused at many of the very similar PPC names ) are members of the BPA so with the rejection they must supply a POPLA code. At that point PM me and I'll write the POPLA appeal for you.

And just remember, despite what some have posted on here completely incorrectly, this is not a fine, your daughter has not committed an offense, it is a contractual despite with a bunch of highway robbers that are easily beaten ..... if you know how.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Disregarding what all the experts have posted I have never lost an appeal on a parking issue either private parking or council. Councils usually dont follow it through to a hearing due to the cost etc. The best advice is for you to ask the same question on peppipoo.co.uk. You will get expert advice and 1 lady who posts on there also posts on here. and with great knowledge.

Or of course MSE :thumbsup: and yes School Run Mum / Coupon Mad is an Albion supporter and posts, occasionally, on here.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Or of course MSE :thumbsup: and yes School Run Mum / Coupon Mad is an Albion supporter and posts, occasionally, on here.

Definitely MSE. Info there helped me out of a private parking ticket.
Most importantly, do NOT have any contact with them until (and if) they contact you in writing. MSE is a bit of a trudge (there's a lot if gumph to read) but it's on the money.
I'll post some links for you tomorrow if you need a bit of help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here