Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn's conference speech

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Coming up...

Mr Corbyn is expected to address the party conference in Brighton for 45 minutes, saying: "Fair play for all, solidarity and not walking by on the other side of the street when people are in trouble. Respect for other's point of view. It is this sense of fair play, these shared majority British values, that are the fundamental reason why I love this country and its people."

He will add: "It's because I am driven by these British majority values, because I love this country, that I want to rid it of injustice, to make it fairer, more decent, more equal.

"And I want all of our citizens to benefit from prosperity and success."

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Unlike the approach taken by his predecessor Ed Miliband, Mr Corbyn's speech will be delivered using an autocue, and will not include reflections on his background or personal life in the speech, or music to introduce him onto the stage.

"It's not going to be showbiz, it's going to be politics," a Labour source said.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Coming up...

Mr Corbyn is expected to address the party conference in Brighton for 45 minutes, saying: "Fair play for all, solidarity and not walking by on the other side of the street when people are in trouble. Respect for other's point of view. It is this sense of fair play, these shared majority British values, that are the fundamental reason why I love this country and its people."

He will add: "It's because I am driven by these British majority values, because I love this country, that I want to rid it of injustice, to make it fairer, more decent, more equal.

"And I want all of our citizens to benefit from prosperity and success, and to do as directed by me and those who think like me."

Edited for you.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Edited for you.
Are you seriously pleased with that effort?

"do as directed by me" ... What on earth does that mean? Can you give a few examples?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Inspirational " words for the disillusioned no doubt but with absolutely no substance on how he is going to do it, much like the Shadow Chancellor yesterday " Austerity is not a necessity, it is a choice " after leaving the Country on it's knees 5 years ago. Really taking the piss to say this I think. I am sorry I really cannot take these 2 seriously and give them a year, tops

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The way he thanks people and describes their contributions is extremely authentic and endearing.

Most "leaders" of my experience say this stuff because they know they need to but you get the impression the words are fairly empty.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Thanking Andy Burham for his time as health secretary.

While he was Health Secretary in 2009, Burnham signed off on the decision to put the contract for Hinchingbrooke Hospital, in Cambridgeshire, out to tender to non-NHS organisations.

:facepalm:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm rather impressed with this speech so far. He's a decent enough, very honest cove with some good, solid principles. Can't have that, obviously.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unlike the approach taken by his predecessor Ed Miliband, Mr Corbyn's speech will be delivered using an autocue, and will not include reflections on his background or personal life in the speech, or music to introduce him onto the stage.

"It's not going to be showbiz, it's going to be politics," a Labour source said.
I dunno about you but the first word that popped into my head whenever I saw Ed Milliband was always 'showbiz'.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanking Andy Burham for his time as health secretary.

While he was Health Secretary in 2009, Burnham signed off on the decision to put the contract for Hinchingbrooke Hospital, in Cambridgeshire, out to tender to non-NHS organisations.

:facepalm:
An individual action that worked for "New Labour" but JC would not countenance. Doesn't mean that Burnham never did anything of any value.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
100,000 new Council Houses and Housing Association homes every year until the housing crisis is solved.

Quite simple and quite a good idea.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
" Inspirational " words for the disillusioned no doubt but with absolutely no substance on how he is going to do it,

He has his ideas, but he has 4 years to get a consensus, he's a leader not a dictator.

much like the Shadow Chancellor yesterday " Austerity is not a necessity, it is a choice " after leaving the Country on it's knees 5 years ago. Really taking the piss to say this I think.

See above, plus it was the Banks that put is in the mess, it certainly wasn't the current leadership of the Labour party

I am sorry I really cannot take these 2 seriously and give them a year, tops

Fair enough, your views are your views.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Every school accountable to local government and local education authorities.

Aspirations for ALL children not just the few.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
" Inspirational " words for the disillusioned no doubt but with absolutely no substance on how he is going to do it, much like the Shadow Chancellor yesterday " Austerity is not a necessity, it is a choice " after leaving the Country on it's knees 5 years ago. Really taking the piss to say this I think. I am sorry I really cannot take these 2 seriously and give them a year, tops
I wish people would not keep saying the country was on it's knees when Labour departed. It isn't remotely true. Some people really will just believe any old shit the right wing press and Tories tell them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Here you go [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]:

UK_National_Debt_interest.png

All fairly low level since the late 80s I would say. But that most recent spike is on the watch of the coalition.

More information here:
http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/recent_spending

When I first saw it, it made me think that New Labour or Tory really wasn't much of a choice. I don't think national spending is anything like high enough.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
100,000 new Council Houses and Housing Association homes every year until the housing crisis is solved.

Quite simple and quite a good idea.

Net immigration was over 300,000 last year. You may need to build 100,000 new homes each year for a long time to keep up with demand. Or you could control immigration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here