Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ALBION Blog

Chuggy12

Aug 3, 2015
Shoreham beach
Thinking about starting a blog about the Albion weekly,
Just something I am interested in doing as I'm quite good at English and I love my club.
It would include review on the match, injury news, transfer news (if it's that time of year), score predictions, team predictions and overall just writing my thoughts about different things about the club each week.
I was just wondering if people would take the time to read it as I would like to know if I have people reading what I'm writing.

Cheers

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Give it a go, as long as it's interesting people will read it. You need an angle though, for the standard match report and general Albion news there is already a lot out there.

D

Deleted member 22389

Thinking about starting a blog about the Albion weekly,
Just something I am interested in doing as I'm quite good at English and I love my club.
It would include review on the match, injury news, transfer news (if it's that time of year), score predictions, team predictions and overall just writing my thoughts about different things about the club each week.
I was just wondering if people would take the time to read it as I would like to know if I have people reading what I'm writing.

Cheers

It's the commitment, can you keep it up to date?. If nobody bothers looking at it you might feel like it is a waste of time.
May be you should come at things from a different angle, something unique, and have a site that doesn't require a lot of your time, something that can be updated every fortnight.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, would definately read it.

The trap some blogs fall into is starting to slag off the views of other fans that are posted on internet forums, which the author doesn't agree with ( I don't just mean albion views and NSC ).

This just creates a dull agenda, so is perhaps best avoided.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hi

I've written one since the end of the Poyet era. If you enjoy writing specifically (rather than just being good at English) then go ahead. The more the merrier and I find it pretty rewarding. However, you may well want to consider the following.

Firstly how are you going to promote it? You'll need to be very active on Twitter and Facebook, it's not just the writing that takes time.

Secondly how are you going to host it? I've been using very basic Wordpress hosting for a while but I need to take mine to a new level and will soon be moving over to someone else hosting for me (thank you again, you know who you are :thumbsup: )

Thirdly are you willing to stick with it? It took me a fair while to get a decent number of readers and it will definitely vary from post to post.

Finally have a look at the competition. The Proper Writings on here are excellent and a good place to start. Also look at:

We Are Brighton (http://www.wearebrighton.com/)
Seagull Love Review (http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/)
Brighton But Only At Home (mine) (https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/)
The Goldstone Wrap (http://thegoldstonewrap.com/)
The Blue and White Un (http://attheendofthedaydes.blogspot.co.uk/)

Can you say something different and appealing? It's worth knowing now it's a pretty crowded space but there's always room for genuine quality.

Oh, and finally, don't take any writing tips from hove boring and unread :p

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The way people use the internet changes all the time, and I think the average time that is spent on each page continues to fall – now it's about 1.8 seconds or something silly. With that in mind long (anything more than 500 words) articles might not be as popular as they used to be – you need something that stands out straight away.

As a slightly different approach, I think [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] gets it spot on with his "XX things we learnt from the XXXX match" threads, because they kind of bring everything together in bite-sized, easy to read chunks. As [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] says, there are already a fair few established blogs in the 'traditional' mould, so I would try and find a new niche. What that might be, I don't know, but I'm sure there is something out there, and a way of presenting it, that will bring readers along.

Good luck.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The way people use the internet changes all the time, and I think the average time that is spent on each page continues to fall – now it's about 1.8 seconds or something silly. With that in mind long (anything more than 500 words) articles might not be as popular as they used to be – you need something that stands out straight away.

You need to have a feel for the subject matter too. My Hull report was longer than usual for obvious reasons but some of the quirky stuff is under 500 for sure. I had to write about 400 words for TSLR, most Daily Mash piss takes I see must come in at about 200 and some of the stuff people link to off Facebook these days might as well just be a headline.

On the other hand I read and shared a parenting article the other day that was mahoosive - three pages on the web and well over 2000 words. If it's good people will take time to read it but in their own time. With a football report it may already be too old by the time you're ready for it if it's huge.

D

Deleted User X18H

One day a blog . Then maybe one day the weekly press conference .

You never know . Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here