Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti virus / spyware software- any recs?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
For anti-virus, the free version of AVG has always served me well. I use it on my laptop, phone and tablet without issue.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Second the free version of AVG. have used for ten years, updates regularly, all for free. Just don't get tricked into upgrading to the paid 'premium' version.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I dumped AVG in favour of Avast which I find uses less PC resources.

Jul 7, 2003
In addition to anti-virus software it is always worth installing Malwarebytes for getting rid of spyware - free download from malwarebytes.org

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've been a AVG user for so long, but they've started to do sneaky installation of browser setting and plugins, so be wary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
STOPzilla. Rescued one of my laptops and I have had zero issues ever since. My only unsafe surfing is for MP3s from dodgy Russian sites, and SZ cleans out all the crap for me after I have downloaded my rare Danse Society John Peel session booty :lolol:

That said, it does cost. I don't care about that, but others may. Three year licence for 3 machines, about 70 quid.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Panda. Seems to be the lightest on resources for me. Plus malwarebytes or spybot.
I have used AVG and avast but have had issues with them keep popping up with their offers. Panda does that as well but not as often

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I dumped AVG in favour of Avast which I find uses less PC resources.

I did the same and for the same reasons. I also have Malwarebytes and Spybot and have never had a problem with a virus.
The key to all programmes is to keep them up to date.
Finally I use Ccleaner to reduce the rubbish.

Hope that helps.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I did the same and for the same reasons. I also have Malwarebytes and Spybot and have never had a problem with a virus.
The key to all programmes is to keep them up to date.
Finally I use Ccleaner to reduce the rubbish.

Hope that helps.

I should add that all my programmes are free and most of them can be obtained from FileHippo.com.
Filehippo 1.039 or 1.038 also lets you know when there is an update available so a handy free programme to have.
NB there are other programmes that can do that but I can vouch for the ones I have mentioned as having them on many computers for many years.
I use Belarc to give an overview/status of my computer.
Finally I use Slim Drivers to keep the drivers up to date.
NB I don't use the latest filehippo and also the same with spybot 1.6.2 for reasons that would take more explaining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here