British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Really don't rate Akindayini.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Once again, Albion have 3 central defenders starting. Against Aston Villa two weeks ago Ben Barclay was played in midfield; will be interesting to see if he plays there again - another Glen Rea in the making?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Once again, Albion have 3 central defenders starting. Against Aston Villa two weeks ago Ben Barclay was played in midfield; will be interesting to see if he plays there again - another Glen Rea in the making?

Talking of which I see Rea has dropped out of the starting eleven at Southend after a couple of games. We seem to either be not very good at selecting loan clubs or not have players ready to step up even at lower league levels (Dallison, Monakana, Walton all failed to hold a first team place on loan this season)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Talking of which I see Rea has dropped out of the starting eleven at Southend after a couple of games. We seem to either be not very good at selecting loan clubs or not have players ready to step up even at lower league levels (Dallison, Monakana, Walton all failed to hold a first team place on loan this season)

Though last season Dallison had a very good run with Dartford in the Conference.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You do have a point there about our players not performing while being loaned out. You could probably add Harris to that list who went to Aldershot just for a month. Rea is at Southend currently

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I have to say, I think that is unfair. Walton was definitely first choice to start the season until he suffered a groin injury (which curtailed the loan altogether). And it is the nature of loans for young players that they are typically sought by clubs to cover for injury; Dallison was taken by Braintree as cover after Matt Fry suffered a knee injury. From the Braintree website after Dallison's first game "Dallison made an impressive debut alongside Mark Phillips in the heart of the defence..." and after his second game "where the back line of Remy Clerima, Mark Phillips, on-loanee Tom Dallison and Sam Harbergham were again outstanding."

Charlie Harris was also taken by Aldershot because "We are low on numbers due to a couple of injuries and Charlie will provide competition in midfield – he hasn’t come in just to sit on the bench.", as their manager said. And scoring a goal on his debut and setting up another sounds like doing okay to me.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You do have a point there about our players not performing while being loaned out. You could probably add Harris to that list who went to Aldershot just for a month. Rea is at Southend currently

Really? I think both Harris and Dallison can be pleased with their efforts on loan this season. What exactly do you expect of young players (both are 19)? For Harris it was his first experience of senior men's football, I think a goal and an assist on his debut was outstanding.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Really? I think both Harris and Dallison can be pleased with their efforts on loan this season. What exactly do you expect of young players (both are 19)? For Harris it was his first experience of senior men's football, I think a goal and an assist on his debut was outstanding.

You don't see clubs extending their deals do you? They last a month then get sent back.

Even Walton who is highly rated here flopped at Bury. I still think it's Bury's lost though as i like Walton.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have to say, I think that is unfair. Walton was definitely first choice to start the season until he suffered a groin injury (which curtailed the loan altogether). And it is the nature of loans for young players that they are typically sought by clubs to cover for injury; Dallison was taken by Braintree as cover after Matt Fry suffered a knee injury. From the Braintree website after Dallison's first game "Dallison made an impressive debut alongside Mark Phillips in the heart of the defence..." and after his second game "where the back line of Remy Clerima, Mark Phillips, on-loanee Tom Dallison and Sam Harbergham were again outstanding."

Charlie Harris was also taken by Aldershot because "We are low on numbers due to a couple of injuries and Charlie will provide competition in midfield – he hasn’t come in just to sit on the bench.", as their manager said. And scoring a goal on his debut and setting up another sounds like doing okay to me.

Fair enough but your view of Walton's loan doesn't really accord with anyone at Bury who would suggest that the groin injury was a convenience. Dallison and Harris ended their brief loan spells on the bench as is Rea currently while Monakana never made a starting line up.
Criticism isn't always something to bite at or intended to be destructive and the question here is simply "are we doing something wrong (or at least something we can improve on.)?"

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You don't see clubs extending their deals do you? They last a month then get sent back.

Well, apart from those that ARE extended. Like Chicksen at Fleetwood last season. Or Dallison at Dartford. Or Fenelon at Tranmere. Or, the season before, Fenelon at both Tonbridge Angels and Torquay, and Courtney Richards at Whitehawk.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair enough but your view of Walton's loan doesn't really accord with anyone at Bury who would suggest that the groin injury was a convenience. Dallison and Harris ended their brief loan spells on the bench as is Rea currently while Monakana never made a starting line up.
Criticism isn't always something to bite at or intended to be destructive and the question here is simply "are we doing something wrong (or at least something we can improve on.)?"

I'm not "biting at" your "criticism", I'm simply disagreeing with your viewpoint. When young players are taken on loan as cover, I simply don't think it is unusual that they end up on the bench by the end of their loan spell. I would suggest Dallison's run of games at Dartford last season during a loan spell that was extended (at the same level as Braintree are playing this season) answers your question.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm not "biting at" your "criticism", I'm simply disagreeing with your viewpoint. When young players are taken on loan as cover, I simply don't think it is unusual that they end up on the bench by the end of their loan spell. I would suggest Dallison's run of games at Dartford last season during a loan spell that was extended (at the same level as Braintree are playing this season) answers your question.
"biting at my criticism" Not sure what that is all about.

The point i'm making is that our kids seem to be inferior to other clubs with category 1 status. Obviously it could take years to see some top talent come through. I know our setup has only been going for a couple of years and it's still early days.

Our youngsters(19 as you put it) get loaned out to non league clubs and a splattering of league clubs but rarely last a month.

Patrick Bamford who was 19 was being loaned out for the season(not a month) in league 1 and at Championship level was banging in goals and getting raves reviews.

The whole point i'm making is that i want to reach that level where we could produce players like Bamford.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Patrick Bamford who was 19 was being loaned out for the season(not a month) in league 1 and at Championship level was banging in goals and getting raves reviews.

This is the Albion we're talking about. We don't do forwards. :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here