Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will replace Kayal ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
He's already on 4 bookings. JFC is out on loan til mid Oct at least.

Is Crofts ready ?
Ince has appeared in every game this season (i think ) but from the start ?
An unlikely return for Danny Holla ?

Who would you go for ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's already on 4 bookings. JFC is out on loan til mid Oct at least.

Is Crofts ready ?
Ince has appeared in every game this season (i think ) but from the start ?
An unlikely return for Danny Holla ?

Who would you go for ?

If its to be a straight swap, with no change in formation, then it can only be Crofts.

Otherwise you have to replace him with Ince AND another.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Ince with Crofts on the bench (I'm assuming he's ready given his bench place at the weekend)

But it is going to be a bog loss when the inevitable happens. Thank god we've got Dale firing as well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
If its to be a straight swap, with no change in formation, then it can only be Crofts.

Otherwise you have to replace him with Ince AND another.

That's just the thing; whoever you bring in there's going to be a natural shift in the CM positions; Crofts hasn't performed that barnstorming all action superhero midfield general role for some time now, and I'd be very surprised if he could step into Beram's shoes straight off the bat like that.

But basically we're in a really good place so I'm not grumbling.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A fully fit Crofts would do a similar job. Are we absolutely sure Ince couldn't slot in to a 4-4-2. I know he HASN'T yet this season but that comes as part of the inevitable shutting the game down as we've not been behind yet. He's not classical box to box but he's certainly got the passing and tackling and under Oscar (yes, I know in a different system) he often charged forwards scattering people about him (e.g. Bournemouth away).

As an aside I would have thought that JFC was more likely to come in to the team than Holla before being loaned out. That suggests no takers for Holla. I'm not sure he'd be up to it at all.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Surprised by how many people think playing Crofts in Kayal's position would mean no change in the system, other than the fact they are footballers playing for Brighton there are absolutely no similarities between the two players. There will be a change in system whatever happens, Crofts could never adequately replace Kayal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surprised by how many people think playing Crofts in Kayal's position would mean no change in the system, other than the fact they are footballers playing for Brighton there are absolutely no similarities between the two players. There will be a change in system whatever happens, Crofts could never adequately replace Kayal.

With respect, you're entirely wrong. Crofts has plenty to do to demonstrate that he is back to his best, but in terms of style he is plenty similar to Kayal. Both are very mobile up and down centre midfielders, strong in the tackle, capable of a creative pass, and of pitching in with their share of goals. Kayal is better, but otherwise, pretty similar.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ince to replace him, but play with both KLL and Murphy in tandem to provide the extra attacking intent.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Could Stephens step up to Kayal's more advanced creative role with Crofts taking over Stephens slightly deeper position?

hi__neighbor

Jul 15, 2015
I think Ince could slot into the 4-4-2 without much issue. I see Stephens as typically playing a bit safer and dropping a bit deeper to allow Kayal to be more of an attacking catalyst, but Stephens can play that role as well. So, in my mind, Ince plays the Stephens safe role and Stephens shifts a bit more attacking. Even if Crofts is fit I think this would make more sense.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think Ince could slot into the 4-4-2 without much issue. I see Stephens as typically playing a bit safer and dropping a bit deeper to allow Kayal to be more of an attacking catalyst, but Stephens can play that role as well. So, in my mind, Ince plays the Stephens safe role and Stephens shifts a bit more attacking. Even if Crofts is fit I think this would make more sense.

This for me too - moving to more like 4-3-1-2. Ince is match fit and would I suspect relish a start. Hopefully Kayal will only be out for 1 game anyway (after his next yellow). Genuinely not too concerned at this stage

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simple answer we do not have an adequate replacement so offer Kevin Nolan a 1 year contract. He will cover Kayal and Stephens when his time comes plus offer competition for the places.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kayal has, by most accounts, been a bit off the last two games anyway, so Crofts, even if not quite as good, is the obvious replacement (if fit - and that's a big if). He's unlikely to be fully match fit anyway, not having played for ages, so expect a change to 451 at 60 minutes, if not earlier. The idea that Ince, Holla, or even JFC could just slot in and replace Kayal in the same system is, I fear, wishful thinking.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Simple answer we do not have an adequate replacement so offer Kevin Nolan a 1 year contract. He will cover Kayal and Stephens when his time comes plus offer competition for the places.

Agree that talks with K. Nolan would not be the worst idea in the world.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
With respect, you're entirely wrong. Crofts has plenty to do to demonstrate that he is back to his best, but in terms of style he is plenty similar to Kayal. Both are very mobile up and down centre midfielders, strong in the tackle, capable of a creative pass, and of pitching in with their share of goals. Kayal is better, but otherwise, pretty similar.

I wouldn't risk Crofts just yet.. I think Ince can step up to play the Kayal role. He has to. Anyway no two players are exactly the same so you automatically get a slight change in style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here