Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cradle to Grave

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Having seen the thread about The Big Bang Theory, I have to say it gets knocked into a cocked hat by Cradle to Grave the Danny Baker comedy biopic.

Peter Kay is brilliant as his docker Dad into all sorts of dodgy deals ("right shoes through London, Left through Liverpool")

Loved the expalnation of how A**ehole go his knickname.

The pyschotic PE Master (played by the actor who was the Landlord of The Grapes in Early Doors)

The photography teacher that all the schoolboys wanted to get in the darkroom alone with....

Another comedy that only the British do well!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Have to agree. Very funny so far.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thoroughly enjoyable. Having read the book I know what's coming but this in no way detracts from my enjoyment. Top work.

Anyone who likes this will probably enoy Detectorists which is currently having a rerun on BBC4, another cracking comedy series.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who likes this will probably enoy Detectorists which is currently having a rerun on BBC4, another cracking comedy series.

The AntiquiSearchers :rock: punk:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Thoroughly enjoyable. Having read the book I know what's coming but this in no way detracts from my enjoyment. Top work.

I love the Detectorists - happy its been rerun as I missed the first 2 episodes first time around. Brilliantly subtle comedy.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's so good to have a show again that you think "no, I really don't want to miss that": so every week everything at Harveys Towers stops at nine on Thursdays. Old skool. It's great.

And it's different enough to the books that having read them in no way makes the show not worth watching; but also the way they depict stuff is exactly as it comes across in the books - it's uncanny.

Peter Kay is also proving an absolute revelation. Awards must beckon for this, surely.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Also read the book and think the series is good fun, but just can't take to Peter Kay's accent.

Sounds like Sir Les Patterson trying to do Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Also read the book and think the series is good fun, but just can't take to Peter Kay's accent.

Sounds like Sir Les Patterson trying to do Dick Van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins.

I was hoping someone be else would bring this up. I love the series but his accent grates on me a little

Jul 7, 2003
I loved the books and enjoying the series.

Also really like the comedy that follows - boy meets girl. Not your usual subject matter but very cleverly written to handle the subject while coming across in the style of a mainstream comedy. You somehow feel that if it had been a C4 series it would have taken itself far too seriously.

Jul 7, 2003
Cracking theme tune as well.
Can't stop singing it when it's played on R2.
The new Squeeze album really is very good.

Waiting for it to come out on general release this Friday but what I have heard so far sounds good.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Has Kay mentioned Garlic bread yet? I'm sure he'll shoehorn it in :facepalm:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Glad I'm not the only one to love this series. As I'm around the same vintage as Danny B I have to say that the programme captures the visual drabness of the era really well. It's also warm but not over-sentimental. OK so it's constructed around a series of embellished 'actual events' but it gets away with - as does Peter Kay's performance if not his accent. I'm sure I'm not the only one who spotted that the nutcase PE teacher was called 'Mr Glover' - surely a reference to that King of All Nutcase PE Teachers played by the actor Brian Glover in the wonderful 70's film 'Kes'.
Didn't finish Danny Baker's book so this is for me a case of the TV series being better than the book.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Being a mad mad fan of Danny Baker I was so looking forward to this show, especially the hype he has been giving it on his radio show. Sadly for me it doesn't quite live up to the hype though. I laugh but not aching laugh as I'd hoped. It may be a case of 'you had to be there to get the joke' when something hilarious in the pub last night is different the following day. Maybe the day of the 30 minute comedy show is a thing of the past now as we are fed a stream of 'live' comedians doing there stage shows and American canned laughter junk. Looking forward to The Kennedys starting this week but got a feeling it will be the same.

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but i think being a teenager in the 70s helps

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Glad I'm not the only one who can't get on with the accent.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Watched the first. Found it a bit contrived and similar to other stuff we'd seem before but not as good. I might try another episode but I don't anticipate being converted. I loved the stuff Baker did on the London Radio stations, now dumbed down for radio 5 live. Baker and Kelly late 90s was Radio gold. Not so keen on their respective TV stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here