Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LP's

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Morning wise people

Has anyone sold an LP/12" collection recently and if so, who to and how much roughly would you expect to receive for a bog standard LP in reasonable condition?

I have been in touch with someone in the UK who buys collections and have sent him a list, but am just trying to gauge whether I may be able to get a better deal elsewhere. I would try and sell them to someone here, but as they only appear to like plinky plonky musak and have never heard of Half Man Half Biscuit, I suspect I would get more money by sending them all over there!

Thanks in advance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mmmm... interesting. If its still going, try the GEMM site and see what your stuff changes hands for.

Ten years ago I saw the two LPs by prog rockers High Tide (the originals, 1969, Liberty lable) advertised at £500 a pop. Smugness (as I have both).

Let's see your list, then!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I sold a load on Ebay (Including "Back in the DHSS"). I started them all at 99p and final prices varied from 99p (HMHB) to £46 (OMD single).
Lot's of buyers from overseas too.
Might be worth a punt

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I sold a load on Ebay (Including "Back in the DHSS"). I started them all at 99p and final prices varied from 99p (HMHB) to £46 (OMD single).
Lot's of buyers from overseas too.
Might be worth a punt

99p for Back in the DHSS? Disgraceful price for a classic!!

Thanks, I may well give that a go if I cannot shift the whole lot in one go.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Disappointingly, my prized original 1977 Star Wars picture disk LP is still worth only 29.99 on eBay. I was hoping to pay the mortgage off with that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
My list is at home - I will consider publishing it later if there is nothing better to rip the p out of on here by then. But it is a fine collection of genius musicianship.... Many of the usual suspects as in Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, Pixies, Wedding Present, Cocteau Twins etc. It is an absolutely Duran Duran free collection, thank goodness!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If its still going, try the GEMM site and see what your stuff changes hands for.

Or maybe not

Interesting question though as I'm looking to flog some stuff too.My original Spiral Scratch must surely be worth a few bob

EDIT: Spiral Scratch median price just under £30, thought it would be more. Need to sniff around this site a bit more

Last edited:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
It entirely depends on the condition of the vinyl and their issue dates. An original release disc of a desirable artist in mint condition can go for 1000's and the self same item in less then good condition will go for 10's.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I collect vinyl - mainly from the classic 67-74 era - and with the current boom people sometimes assume their bogstandard LPs are suddenly worth a small fortune. It's rarely the case unfortunately, but the things to look out for are rarity, collectability, and condition.
Rarity – if it's an original pressing and few were issued or bought at the time, it's likely to be worth money, but only if ...
Collectability ... it's an artist or band who are sought-after. So yes to Joy Division for instance, and no to Buck's Fizz. And also ...
Condition ... a truly excellent, near mint condition LP is likely to be sought after, even if it sold shedloads at the time. For a poor condition LP to be worth money, it usually has to be rare and collectable too.
I subscribe to the Rare Record Price Guide which is pretty accurate and used by dealers all over, so if there's anything you'd like to get a guide price on, PM me and I can look it up.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I collect vinyl - mainly from the classic 67-74 era - and with the current boom people sometimes assume their bogstandard LPs are suddenly worth a small fortune. It's rarely the case unfortunately, but the things to look out for are rarity, collectability, and condition.
Rarity – if it's an original pressing and few were issued or bought at the time, it's likely to be worth money, but only if ...
Collectability ... it's an artist or band who are sought-after. So yes to Joy Division for instance, and no to Buck's Fizz. And also ...
Condition ... a truly excellent, near mint condition LP is likely to be sought after, even if it sold shedloads at the time. For a poor condition LP to be worth money, it usually has to be rare and collectable too.
I subscribe to the Rare Record Price Guide which is pretty accurate and used by dealers all over, so if there's anything you'd like to get a guide price on, PM me and I can look it up.

Thanks for that - very interesting. I thought that would be the case - I suspect my most collectable ones are the ones I played the most so are a bit tatty (Joy Division "Still" with the clothy type cover for example), but I will see what this guy says when he gets back to me.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
You generally lose out bulk selling, you can look up on E bay to see what other people are selling at to get an idea on an individual item. I have had stuff hang around for weeks and refused to reduce the price then two people bid like crazy! It's not an exact science.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
All depends what the record is and what condition its in !
If it was Quadrophenia on a VERY rare record label in absolute mint unplayed condition signed by the whole of The Who etc = A few grand possibly.
If it was Merry Xmas Everyone by Shaking Stevens 12 ' then about 10p
People often think that the vinyl they have is worth loads , very very rarely the case.
But before you sell any of your Vinyl to these rip off little shits in the Friday Ad and places like that get them checked out by an expert first each and everyone.
Because what you think is worthless can often turn out to be priceless if you get my meaning.
I have a lot of signed 999 singles I thought would be worth loads not the case they are worth about £5- £18 again depending which ones.
Quite often singles by people you have never ever heard of or their songs are worth a fortune too.
Its a funny old market is vinyl mate.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not expecting any of my stuff to be worth hundreds but if I have about 20 records worth about £40 to 50 and and about 30 worth £15 to £20, I'd be pretty happy. Discogs looks the place to go

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'm not expecting any of my stuff to be worth hundreds but if I have about 20 records worth about £40 to 50 and and about 30 worth £15 to £20, I'd be pretty happy. Discogs looks the place to go

In my experience, Discogs is a great place to go to check out detail on your records: what pressing it is, decent images of the original label, inner sleeve, cover etc and I've also picked up some collectable LPs at good prices (mainly from European sellers). I haven't really used it for selling. My hunch is that it's steady for those with large quantities to sell, but you can achieve better prices on eBay, as that adds the competitive atmosphere of an auction and when something is quite rare and gets loads of watchers, the resulting interest pushes the final auction price up. Others' experience may differ though.

el punal

Morning wise people

Has anyone sold an LP/12" collection recently and if so, who to and how much roughly would you expect to receive for a bog standard LP in reasonable condition?

I have been in touch with someone in the UK who buys collections and have sent him a list, but am just trying to gauge whether I may be able to get a better deal elsewhere. I would try and sell them to someone here, but as they only appear to like plinky plonky musak and have never heard of Half Man Half Biscuit, I suspect I would get more money by sending them all over there!

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of Half Man Half Biscuit? That probably rules out Dukla Prague as well. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here