Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC - Finger-clicking good? The MK view

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Well maybe if we actually played him in his real position which is as an attacking midfielder, we may get more out of him but we don't. Feel sorry for the kid sometimes at only 21/22 people expect so much from him because he showed quality as a 16 year old.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Worth a read. How very different from the received wisdom down here.

He did play very well. He was instrumental in their equaliser; he also set up Church to put the ball in the back of the net in the first half, although Church was just offside; Butterfield was booked for fouling him; and he had a couple of decent long-range efforts himself.

I think the only reason Hughton hasn't utilised him more this season is the change of system, and the form of Kayal and Stephens. Hughton said this at the end of August:-

I think where it has been difficult for Jake is that he has played most of his football here in a three in midfield. I've never doubted his ability. He is a good player. That is why he has always been around the squad. Even at this particular moment, when he is not in the starting XI, he has been on the bench. I have no question marks about his ability. Probably it is just about getting him into a formation I've chosen to play so far this season (4-4-2). But he is a valuable member of the squad. ... Sometimes it can be difficult if you are a player who is playing out of what you regard as your best position. We played him in that more advanced position, more as a No.10, in the first Capital One Cup tie at Southend. And we played him there, and I thought in a very good way, right back at Charlton in one of my first games last season, when we were able to get the victory. It had been a difficulty I must admit, fitting him into the formation I want. But remember he is a young player and a talented player.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Always rated parts of Jake's game, his passing and creativity have always impressed me when played in the correct position (attacking midfield). Unfortunately playing in a 4-4-2 in this division you also need a lot of strength on the ball and to be a tough tackler when required. These are skills I don't think JFC has mastered quite yet, I was hoping that he went out on a season long loan, because he won't be able to develop these skills as quickly without regular game time, I know why we haven't done that as if Kayal/Stephens get injured he'll be back in the squad but we could probably get an emergency loan player if required.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watched the game on Saturday and he was excellent. He's a promising player and I really don't get the witchhunt. He was pretty average last season but that was as part of a dreadful team that were low on confidence and SEMI played him out of position. The same people having a go at him were generally the ones creaming themselves over a tramp with fancy footwork who could only last ten minutes before blowing out of his arse and who is now a rarely used player for Luton.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Watched the game on Saturday and he was excellent. He's a promising player and I really don't get the witchhunt. He was pretty average last season but that was as part of a dreadful team that were low on confidence and SEMI played him out of position. The same people having a go at him were generally the ones creaming themselves over a tramp with fancy footwork who could only last ten minutes before blowing out of his arse and who is now a rarely used player for Luton.
No. He was dreadful last season...but that doesn't mean he's not a promising player.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watched the game on Saturday and he was excellent. He's a promising player and I really don't get the witchhunt. He was pretty average last season but that was as part of a dreadful team that were low on confidence and SEMI played him out of position..

This is bit is spot on.

Funny how he does well when he's played in his correct position. Remember when he scored twice vs Stains, well he was in a more offensive position then.

Garcia at times and Hyypia played him too deep, so far only Poyet has got the best out of him.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hope we don't sell him on the back of this loan; he's a good player, just not as good as Stephens or Kayal at this point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. He was dreadful last season...but that doesn't mean he's not a promising player.

They were all, individually and collectively awful. He didn't stand out as any worse. He and Calde were the most mis-used by Sami though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He was surrounded by poor players last season, and couldn't do it all on his own.

When he made his debut and scored against Southampton and Wrexham he was hailed as being fantastic and he wasn't.

When he was in a mediocre side and out of form for part of last season he was hailed as shit and he wasn't.

He's somewhere in the middle, but on an internet message board full of extremes that's a problem.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Blog on the game from a Derby fan suggested, on the other hand, that:

Forster-Caskey and [Diego] Poyet are very lightweight combination in defensive midfield with the potetnial to be bullied and don't seem to offer much protection when they actully have to defend.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well maybe if we actually played him in his real position which is as an attacking midfielder, we may get more out of him but we don't. Feel sorry for the kid sometimes at only 21/22 people expect so much from him because he showed quality as a 16 year old.

I feel a bit sorry for the lad too. As you say, he showed so much promise when coming into the side under Gus as a 16 year old. I think we see would see the best of him if he was pushed a bit higher up the pitch, and is given more of a free reign to play his football.

That's why I'm of the opinion that Karl Robinson will get much more out of him, than a defensive minded manager like Chris Hughton ever would, As others have alluded to, play him as an old fashioned inside right, and not a right half, and he would do a lot better.

Maybe it's time to spread your wings and look elsewhere to further your career Jake. You could do a lot worse than MK Dons and their attacking brand of football.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Blog on the game from a Derby fan suggested, on the other hand, that:

Forster-Caskey and [Diego] Poyet are very lightweight combination in defensive midfield with the potetnial to be bullied and don't seem to offer much protection when they actully have to defend.

This was true of JFC and Gardner last year. It was also compounded by being required to cover for full backs who were told to push on. JFC is a neat and tidy midfielder who needs time to play and develop. Last year he was expected to do too much and this year he cannot get regular games.

Hughton has done well to loan him out as this should keep him playing and learning. Should Crofts continue his bad luck with injuries, he may be needed as cover later in the season. His pass to Kaz at Fulham went some way to earning us two points already this season, so he obviously can contribute.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We are so short of left-sided midfieders, I thought he would be in contention for a place now (ahead of instead of behind Solly March).

JFC somewhat blotted his copybook by bottling it against Hull (away) in the FA Cup from the Curtis Davies corner, and again away at Norwich when he led Redmond get away. That's two goals conceded andhe hasn't done anything going forward to make up for the shortcomings.

Looked better for MK Dons and England U21 than the Albion. We lack a corner taker and he might be the best we have got? Dale Stephens can take better corners but we neeed him in the centre of the pitch at corners.

JFC reminds me of Will Hughes but two years behind (although a year older). Hughes did not look good at first to me. JFC needs regular games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here