Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora "Too tired"

Feb 14, 2010
Zamora is in his early 30's and all he does all week is play football. He has been injury free since the summer and so I do not think that he should be too tired to play a full game of football now and again. Stanley Mathews was playing football into his 50's and that was without all of the coaching staff that they have these days. I think we should be demanding more of Zamora.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I kind of agree, yesterday in particular. Just another 15 mins from him would have sealed it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But was the substitution tactical. I'm not sure what the reference to Stanley Matthews has to do with Zamora given that the game now is totally different and much faster with an expectation that forwards defend from the front.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not sure what the reference to Stanley Matthews has to do with Zamora given that the game now is totally different and much faster with an expectation that forwards defend from the front.

Good point however the OP still hopes life would be around 40 years ago where clearly he was far happier. Actually surprised he uses that thing called the inter web

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Zamora is in his early 30's and all he does all week is play football. He has been injury free since the summer and so I do not think that he should be too tired to play a full game of football now and again. Stanley Mathews was playing football into his 50's and that was without all of the coaching staff that they have these days. I think we should be demanding more of Zamora.

First, regarding the Mathews analogy, it is a different game now requiring higher levels of fitness than our Stan could ever have dreamed of. Unless humans evolve quicker than in recent millenia, Matthews will remain unique.

Bobby is building up his fitness levels nicely considering he had no pre-season. His output yesterday of an assist and a half in his first start is good enough for me and clearly he is nearly there. He has been paced exactly as we expected from subs bench watching brief, to longer and longer sub appearances, to his first start yesterday.

We knew it would be a slow build if he was to make a contribution whilst avoiding injury and I would say the club is doing a great job bringing a rusty, mid 30s player to the peak condition required at Championship level.

Feb 14, 2010
But was the substitution tactical. I'm not sure what the reference to Stanley Matthews has to do with Zamora given that the game now is totally different and much faster with an expectation that forwards defend from the front.

If tactical then fine but if not then there is no excuse for someone who does nothing all week but play football to be "too tired" to play 90 minutes of football. As for Sir Stan. Yes football has changed and is faster, but if a 50 year old can run around for 90 minutes then a 30 something year old should be able to do so,especially with all of the "sport science" that is there to make sure that he can do so.

Feb 14, 2010
First, regarding the Mathews analogy, it is a different game now requiring higher levels of fitness than our Stan could ever have dreamed of. Unless humans evolve quicker than in recent millenia, Matthews will remain unique.

Bobby is building up his fitness levels nicely considering he had no pre-season. His output yesterday of an assist and a half in his first start is good enough for me and clearly he is nearly there. He has been paced exactly as we expected from subs bench watching brief, to longer and longer sub appearances, to his first start yesterday.

We knew it would be a slow build if he was to make a contribution whilst avoiding injury and I would say the club is doing a great job bringing a rusty, mid 30s player to the peak condition required at Championship level.

He has had since early August to be fit anough to run around for 90 minutes. He is in his 30's not 60's. Enough excuses. Get out there and bloody play.

Feb 14, 2010
Where has the "too tired" quote come from?

Too be fair only the media and NSC. If it was tactical then what was CH playing at? If the poor 30 odd year old who does nothing all day, ever day but play football is not fit enough to run around for 90 minutes then all our sport science coaches need to ask themselves what their "output" is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

The idea of comparing the athleticism of football from Stanley Matthews day to nowadays is laughable. Totally different sport.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

:fishing: as usual.

Feb 14, 2010
The idea of comparing the athleticism of football from Stanley Matthews day to nowadays is laughable. Totally different sport.

OK Ryan Giggs if you think the point is so far off the mark or even better, dont do comparisons at all and just ask yourself why our sport science people cant get a player in his early 30's ready to play 90 minutes of football after how many weeks / months of doing nothing but turning up every day to play football ? We shpould demand more. A great goal scoring record for us in the extreme lower leagues of div 3 and 4 were good fun. I saw many of those goals and wished him well when he went to Spurs. But now is now. He has got to deliver and be fit for 90 minutes. Not every week, but he should be able to do it every now and again.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Maybe Bobby picked the wrong place in Sussex , Chichester is more in keeping with his requirements .

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think if we had stayed with Eleven players on the pitch we would be two points better off and we would all be very happy. However we are still at the top of the league. Next week Reading v Middlesbourgh . Let's all get behind our team against the Welsh and get some revenge for the Rugby.:drama:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you're confusing sports science with magic and the discovery of the elixir of youth. Nearlly all full time pros are as fit as they can possibly be; and at optimum fitness, a 25 year old at is going to have more stamina than a 35 year old.

Zamora looked good for the entire time he was on yesterday anyway.

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
BZ looked to have taken a knock and was struggling to run yesterday before he went off. Yes up until then he was causing Bolton trouble as was a hand fall especially as the ref failed to stop their physical handling of him. Nothing to do with fitness presumably a post by someone who was not there.

Feb 14, 2010
BZ looked to have taken a knock and was struggling to run yesterday before he went off. Yes up until then he was causing Bolton trouble as was a hand fall especially as the ref failed to stop their physical handling of him. Nothing to do with fitness presumably a post by someone who was not there.

A report from someone who was there said he was "too tired". No I wasnt there, but if the implication of your post is that he was taken off because he was injured then fine (although I hope he wont be injured all the time as his record with other clubs is not great). The Albion are paying a 30 something year old to play football. We should expect that he is fit enough to do so. All of this "cotton wool" and respect because he scored a hatful in division 4 10 years ago has to stop. He is paid to get us promoted, he wont do that from the bench. Zamora will be judged on this season not what he did a few years ago. It is not fair on the rest of the squad, or the punters who pay their money. I hope he succeeds but he starts from scratch and will be judged on what he does. He played well so the reports say, but he didnt score and he didnt play the 90. We must demand more, and more and more from the players. Playing lower league football in from of a top flight support is not good enough these days.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Too be fair only the media and NSC. If it was tactical then what was CH playing at? If the poor 30 odd year old who does nothing all day, ever day but play football is not fit enough to run around for 90 minutes then all our sport science coaches need to ask themselves what their "output" is.

Which media? The tactics certainly backfired yesterday but I think that is what it was rather than BZ being too tired

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here