Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just back from Bolton thread

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Thought we had the game sown up at 2-0 and event 2-1 I was confident.

I see Hughton says the game changer was the sending off but I'm not so sure. I think he changed the game when he took Bobby Z off and left just one up front which was before the sending off.

This defensive substitution when we were on top and pressing for the third changed the pattern of play and brought Bolton into the game.

Yes the sending off looked soft, but Hughton seems to be deciding to play out games from earlier and earlier in the second half.

Was Bobby injured/tired because he didn't look it. Thought he held the ball up better than anyone since Ulloa left and worked well with Baldock.

Good game for Stephens too. Kayal has looked less impressive by comparison in the last two games.

Defence didn't really look too troubled other than when Greer got beaten for pace.

Would like to have seen Elvis instead of Murphy who faded again.

And finishing with Solly March as a lone forward shows where our weakness still lies.

But top and unbeaten says it all. Can't moan at this start. Keep winning at home and drawing away and we will be very close come the end.

Small footnote, I thought the stewards were far too heavy handed with the teenage boys they were removing fr the Bolton stand.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton certainly seems to have gone very defensive in the second half. What's going to happen when we go a goal down? Good teams don't get promoted by hanging on every game, we need to keep the strikers on for longer. We are a good side, we can win games like Wolves and Bolton.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It was a great header from Madine, but when I saw it, I swear he was climbing all over the defender. It shouldn't have stood in my opinion. I was half expecting the ref to give a foul.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was a great header from Madine, but when I saw it, I swear he was climbing all over the defender. It shouldn't have stood in my opinion. I was half expecting the ref to give a foul.

The highlights agree with you. He was all over the defender.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes. Warren thinks it will be reinscinded.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hughton certainly seems to have gone very defensive in the second half. What's going to happen when we go a goal down? Good teams don't get promoted by hanging on every game, we need to keep the strikers on for longer. We are a good side, we can win games like Wolves and Bolton.

This happened against Bolton under Poyet. We were 1-0 up with 5 minutes' time added on and we did that playing it into the corner nonsense, rather than going for a bigger win. Of course, we didn't hold on for the win. I was a big Poyet fan, but I thought it was poor tactics that day. The other manager who would try to hold on was Peter Taylor, but usually we were well ahead of the other team when he went for defensive tactics. I must admit I wish Hughton would keep two forwards on. Going 4-5-1 just invites pressure from the games I've seen and heard on here.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
This happened against Bolton under Poyet. We were 1-0 up with 5 minutes' time added on and we did that playing it into the corner nonsense, rather than going for a bigger win. Of course, we didn't hold on for the win. I was a big Poyet fan, but I thought it was poor tactics that day. The other manager who would try to hold on was Peter Taylor, but usually we were well ahead of the other team when he went for defensive tactics. I must admit I wish Hughton would keep two forwards on. Going 4-5-1 just invites pressure from the games I've seen and heard on here.

I don't necessarily think we should play into the corner, but the recent games we have forgotten the importance of retaining possession towards the end of games where we need to protect a scoreline. Just humping it forward to clear lines is no answer.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Hughton seems to be doing this a lot already this season. Standard, get in front, 60 mins and Ince on for striker. Hull game changed exactly the same and they came right into the game. Clearly it invites the opposition into u as u have less players forwards. So it doesn't really make us harder to beat, actually helps. Saying that, today is the first day it's cost us points - but it's annoying.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Thought we had the game sown up at 2-0 and event 2-1 I was confident.

I see Hughton says the game changer was the sending off but I'm not so sure. I think he changed the game when he took Bobby Z off and left just one up front which was before the sending off.

This defensive substitution when we were on top and pressing for the third changed the pattern of play and brought Bolton into the game.

Yes the sending off looked soft, but Hughton seems to be deciding to play out games from earlier and earlier in the second half.

Was Bobby injured/tired because he didn't look it. Thought he held the ball up better than anyone since Ulloa left and worked well with Baldock.

Good game for Stephens too. Kayal has looked less impressive by comparison in the last two games.

Defence didn't really look too troubled other than when Greer got beaten for pace.

Would like to have seen Elvis instead of Murphy who faded again.

And finishing with Solly March as a lone forward shows where our weakness still lies.

But top and unbeaten says it all. Can't moan at this start. Keep winning at home and drawing away and we will be very close come the end.

Small footnote, I thought the stewards were far too heavy handed with the teenage boys they were removing fr the Bolton stand.

Absolutely agree with everything you've said except the small footnote - that's entertainment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hughton seems to be doing this a lot already this season. Standard, get in front, 60 mins and Ince on for striker. Hull game changed exactly the same and they came right into the game. Clearly it invites the opposition into u as u have less players forwards. So it doesn't really make us harder to beat, actually helps. Saying that, today is the first day it's cost us points - but it's annoying.
I don't agree with you about the effect of the Ince sub when we played Hull. Him coming on meant that we were back on top in midfield, and I don't remember Stockdale having to make a save in the last 25. By comparison, Kayal had a brilliant chance to put us 2-0 in about the 85th minute, but took a (possibly lucky) block by the defender to keep out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here