Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton v Brighton Player Ratings

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Disappointing to draw after a poor sending off decision and an even poorer decision to play March up front when we were trying to hang on... Didn't hold it, didn't chase it down...

Stockdale - 8 - MOM - made a few good saves and couldn't have done anything with the goals
Bruno - 6 - Not as good as usual today, a few too many lackadaisical moments
Uwe - 6 - Got climbed on for the equaliser but should have been stronger
Greer - 7 - solid for the most part when we were under the cosh
Bong - 6 - seemed off the pace a little today
Kayal - 5 - Poor error for their first and not as imposing as usual
Stephens - 7 - Good strike and our only attacking threat once Murphy went off
Murphy - 6 - thought he could have done better a few times when he was racing away
Rosenior - 7 - did well and seems to have made that position his own (but will end up dropping back if Bruno injured)
Zamora - 7 - Held it up well and was instrumental in both goals, good to see
Baldock - 7 - Got into good positions and worked tirelessly - deserves a goal.

Subs
Ince - 6 - Just doesn't impose himself any more
March - 3 - I was SO angry with him today, should have harried and chased everything down as the only man up front and just wandered about.. Sorry but I don't get what people see in him.
Calderon - 5 - no impact but in difficult circumstances - i would have swapped him with March because he would have least had the passion and the effort to chase everything down up there on his own

Hughton - 6 - I understand the need to protect the lead but felt we lost momentum when Ince came on... And as already stated March up front was a mistake

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Disappointing to draw after a poor sending off decision and an even poorer decision to play March up front when we were trying to hang on... Didn't hold it, didn't chase it down...

Stockdale - 8 - MOM - made a few good saves and couldn't have done anything with the goals
Bruno - 6 - Not as good as usual today, a few too many lackadaisical moments
Uwe - 6 - Got climbed on for the equaliser but should have been stronger
Greer - 7 - solid for the most part when we were under the cosh
Bong - 6 - seemed off the pace a little today
Kayal - 5 - Poor error for their first and not as imposing as usual
Stephens - 7 - Good strike and our only attacking threat once Murphy went off
Murphy - 6 - thought he could have done better a few times when he was racing away
Rosenior - 7 - did well and seems to have made that position his own (but will end up dropping back if Bruno injured)
Zamora - 7 - Held it up well and was instrumental in both goals, good to see
Baldock - 7 - Got into good positions and worked tirelessly - deserves a goal.

Subs
Ince - 6 - Just doesn't impose himself any more
March - 3 - I was SO angry with him today, should have harried and chased everything down as the only man up front and just wandered about.. Sorry but I don't get what people see in him.
Calderon - 5 - no impact but in difficult circumstances - i would have swapped him with March because he would have least had the passion and the effort to chase everything down up there on his own

Hughton - 6 - I understand the need to protect the lead but felt we lost momentum when Ince came on... And as already stated March up front was a mistake

Spot on with all of these.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Stockdale - 8 made some very good saves a 0-0 and communicated well with back 4.
Bruno - 7
Greer - 6
Uwe - 6
Bong - 6
Kayal - 4 his weakest game for us. Gave away possession on the edge of the box for their first, and just wasn't close to his usual high standards today.
Stephens - 8 did the job of 2 men
Murphy - 7 easy tap in goal, but was in right place at right time and he was a good attacking option. Unfortunate to be sent off.
Rosenior - 7
Zamora - 8 selfless hold up play set up both goals
Baldock 7 - didn't have a single chance, but gave their defence plenty to think about.

Ince - 6 did his usual job well
March - 3 he's out of his depth at this level.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Stockdale - 8 Agree with MoM. Does seem much more solid than last season
Bruno - 7 Another one who I think is doing better than last season, almost up to standard when we first bought him.
Greer - 7 Better of the 2 central defenders today
Uwe - 5 Thought he struggled at times today. Gave ball away for early Bolton chance which was saved by a Greer great tackle. He and Greer appeared to exchange 'words' late on 2nd half
Bong - 7 Not seen him before; impressed
Kayal - 5 Suffered by comparison to Stephens. 1st goal definitely his fault.
Stephens - 7 Excellent match
Murphy - 7 Good performance but sending off was a wingers tackle, Not sure we'd be wise to challenge it; but recognise others feel differently! Still prefer Lua Lua though
Rosenior - 6 Not as convinced by him as some fans are; not sure this is his best position on that showing
Zamora - 8 Their defence really struggled against him all afternoon. I saw him before the start telling Stockdale to aim the clearances up to him; and while he was on; it worked. But oh! for another 10-15 minutes!
Baldock 7 - Was a bit worried about how he'd play with Bobby, but thought it went OK.

Ince 6 Would have preferred to see Manu come on; tactically, but we probably did need someone to play a bit deeper than Kayal and Stephens; so thought he did OK
March 2/4 depending on whether he was not obeying orders or whether Hughton got that switch completely tactically wrong.
Calderon 5 As others have said, difficult situation to come in and make a mark.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Stockdale - 8

Bruno - 7
Greer - 6
Uwe - 5 - tough game yesterday, his worst performance so far
Bong - 6

Rosenior - 7
Stephens - 8
Kayal - 5
Murphy - 7 - would have been an 8 had he not been sent off

Baldock - 6
Zamora - 7

Ince - 7
March - 1
Calderon - 5

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Bruno - 7 Another one who I think is doing better than last season, almost up to standard when we first bought him.
Uwe - 5 Thought he struggled at times today. Gave ball away for early Bolton chance which was saved by a Greer great tackle. He and Greer appeared to exchange 'words' late on 2nd half
Murphy - 7 Good performance but sending off was a wingers tackle, Not sure we'd be wise to challenge it; but recognise others feel differently! Still prefer Lua Lua though
Rosenior - 6 Not as convinced by him as some fans are; not sure this is his best position on that showing
Zamora - 8 Their defence really struggled against him all afternoon. I saw him before the start telling Stockdale to aim the clearances up to him; and while he was on; it worked. But oh! for another 10-15 minutes!
Baldock 7 - Was a bit worried about how he'd play with Bobby, but thought it went OK.

Ince 6 Would have preferred to see Manu come on; tactically, but we probably did need someone to play a bit deeper than Kayal and Stephens; so thought he did OK
March 2/4 depending on whether he was not obeying orders or whether Hughton got that switch completely tactically wrong.

IMO your ratings are spot on. I thought that collectively the team did not look quite as sharp or on the same wavelength, so probably all one mark down on previous performances.
We did not impose ourselves early in the game and allowed Bolton the initiative. Wellington Silva (their no.22) was a right handful in the first half and caused us a lot of anxious moments, which we resisted, albeit with a touch of panic at times.

Stockdale was an obvious MoM and saved our blushes with two early saves, the second of which (a deflected shot, low down at his near post) was stunning. However he didn't stand a chance with either of their goals.

Kayal was at fault for their first goal and also got caught in possession on the edge of our penalty area on a couple of other occasions. However I'm not sure that ever he received a call from a team mate that he was turning into trouble?

Murphy was unlucky with the red card. Ok it didn't look good but Danns made a meal of it, which the Ref fell for. Two minutes later Danns was running around fresh as a daisy. A pity as I was hoping that Murphy would be inspired by his goal and go on to impose himself on the game. A pivotal moment as I'm sure we would have extended our lead and kept all 3 points.

Zamora: It was interesting to see a phase in the pre-match warm up with BZ the focal point for practicing fast 1-2s, attacking interplay and shooting from the edge of the penalty area together with Baldock, Kayal, Stephens and Murphy. Great to then see this implemented during the game with BZ showing a series of classy touches, including for the goals. A pity that CH did not give him another 10 minutes on the pitch.

I note the criticism of March and rather hope he was only doing what he was told. Clearly there were times to have all 10 men behind the ball and that he shouldn't just wildly chase all across the pitch. However it was so frustrating to see him not challenging for the ball when it came near him, especially as the freshest player on the pitch. It is rather sad but a poor Bolton just ignored him, when he might have kept a couple of defenders a bit more occupied, rather than allow them to press forward for the equaliser. To be fair to SM there was a bit too much 'hoof' rather than try to retain possession and hang on for the win, looking to give Solly the ball and telling him to take it deep into their half to use up time. We might be 'top of the league' but we didn't look very assured in those last 10 minutes.

Not a disaster and another away point in the bag - but a frustrating result that could/should have been that bit better.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Wellington Silva (their no.22) was a right handful in the first half and caused us a lot of anxious moments, which we resisted, albeit with a touch of panic at times.

He certainly was. Was relieved when he was subbed. Right footed, but played on left and invariably cut inside. Couldn't handle him first half. More difficult to see in second half but I got impression at times we were putting 2 on him to stop him doing this.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
Stockdale 8.00 (97mins, 7 votes)

The Rest:
<Zamora 7.57 (62mins, 7 votes)
Stephens 7.29 (97mins, 7 votes)
<Baldock 6.86 (81mins, 7 votes)
<Bruno 6.71 (74mins, 7 votes)