Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RAF Sergeant moved by Hospital in case his uniform ''offended '' people.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What a ridiculous state of affairs , I'm just waiting for the usual crowd to come on here desperately trying to make excuses for this , for me its indefensible :facepalm: You might also want to take a look at the way the BBC report has been edited, impartial my arse .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...spital-to-avoid-offending-other-patients.html

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/QEQM...RAF-sergeant/story-27872720-detail/story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34368332

A hospital that made an RAF sergeant move out of sight of other patients in case his uniform caused offence has been forced to apologise.
Aircraft engineer Mark Prendeville was relocated twice by hospital staff who allegedly told his family “they didn’t want to upset people” and “have lots of different cultures coming in”.
Sgt Prendeville was taken to the Accident and Emergency unit of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate, Kent after chemicals from a fire extinguisher got in to his eyes during a training exercise.
The 38-year-old, who has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, was taken first to an empty corner of the waiting room and later around a corner.
His father, who has also served in the armed forces, said he was “disgusted” by the way his son was treated.
“Mark was moved because of his uniform - he was told that twice,” Jim Prendeville told The Sun.
“The first time, they asked him to move around the corner. Then someone else came out and took him around another corner so no one would see him.
“They said they didn’t want to upset people in the hospital. The words they used were, ‘We’ve lots of different cultures’ coming in."
He added: “Mark was quite annoyed, but he’s a quiet lad and he didn’t want to kick up a fuss.
“He didn’t care about the burns, he felt worse about how he was treated. He felt bad about it.
“I was absolutely disgusted when I heard. I don’t know what is so offensive about a uniform.”
A spokesman for East Kent University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust apologised for “any embarrassment”.
“The employee was acting in good faith because previously there had been an altercation between a member of the public and a different member of the armed forced in uniform,” the spokesman said.
The father-of-one was treated for the chemicals in his eyes and prescribed drops. He is not expected to suffer long-term damage.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
For once, I agree. I also think that Warwick University's Student Union not allowing an anti-Sharia law Muslim from speaking is a tad stupid too. Not that these two things are connected in any way.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
i assumed he was moved from bed to bed but:

"was taken first to an empty corner of the waiting room and later around a corner."

get over it. this is not a big deal. probably stressed out and tired emergency room staff ask man in uniform to step out of sight in case an emotional and upset (this is a hospital emergency room remember) muslim gets offended and causes an unnecessary situation which would make the overworked staff's jobs even tougher. instead of getting all upset about it, maybe just consider how sad it is that we live in a world where that mindset exists and, i think you'll find, is defensible.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i assumed he was moved from bed to bed but:

"was taken first to an empty corner of the waiting room and later around a corner."

get over it. this is not a big deal. probably stressed out and tired emergency room staff ask man in uniform to step out of sight in case an emotional and upset (this is a hospital emergency room remember) muslim gets offended and causes an unnecessary situation which would make the overworked staff's jobs even tougher. instead of getting all upset about it, maybe just consider how sad it is that we live in a world where that mindset exists and, i think you'll find, is defensible.

In which case put the Muslim in the corner.

There had previously been an attack at that A & E Department by a member of the public on a patient in military uniform. Staff were aware of this and offered the RAF man the option of waiting for treatment out of view of the public. He accepted the offer and thanked them.

What was wrong with that?

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I think the more important thing here is that we all vicariously form an opinion (preferably angry and fearful) about the petty altercations of others (also angry and fearful) which we can dwell on to distract us from more broad and appreciative visions of reality. Don't forget to identify with a patch of earth owned by others and be ready to defend it (on a football forum) against an enemy you have been stimulated to perceive.

At the same time - that's cool - that's your game. You share it with angry people who have emotional investments with homelands which have been actually bombed and destroyed. Enjoy! Remember it is also the serviceperson's game to be part of the whole shebang too... it's all a game.

But it's not as good as football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think this reflects poorly on the Trust at all. They were concerned for his welfare.

Shame its come to this, mind.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I would rather live in a country where a member of the British armed forces could access any public service without fear of being verbally or physically abused by religious nut jobs or be hidden away for fear of causing 'offence'.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
The way I read it was they wanted a British armed forces person who, whilst in a British hospital, to be hidden from view in case a non British person took offence....???
I have no problems with other cultures, religions or beliefs, until this sort of thing happens. They can always seek medical treatment back in their own country.
Our gaff, our rules surely??

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think the more important thing here is that we all vicariously form an opinion (preferably angry and fearful) about the petty altercations of others (also angry and fearful) which we can dwell on to distract us from more broad and appreciative visions of reality. Don't forget to identify with a patch of earth owned by others and be ready to defend it (on a football forum) against an enemy you have been stimulated to perceive.

At the same time - that's cool - that's your game. You share it with angry people who have emotional investments with homelands which have been actually bombed and destroyed. Enjoy! Remember it is also the serviceperson's game to be part of the whole shebang too... it's all a game.

But it's not as good as football.
They're more than welcome to go back to their homeland if they can't respect the country that gave them a better life.If they're so offended they really shouldn't be living here should they?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
There had previously been an attack at that A & E Department by a member of the public on a patient in military uniform. Staff were aware of this and offered the RAF man the option of waiting for treatment out of view of the public. He accepted the offer and thanked them.

What was wrong with that?

People found guilty of committing violence in hospitals should be served with an automatic custodial sentence.

It's bad enough to think that NHS staff should be subject to violence by patients, but vulnerable patients being attacked by other patients is another magnitude.

If hospitals need security to manage this threat so be it, hiding people around the hospital who may cause offence to other members of the public is not dealing with the problem.

No doubt if hospitals were hiding immigrants in A&E because they felt they could cause offence to locals there would be outrage.

So yes, I think there is plenty wrong with this kind of policy.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I just don't find it healthy to allow oneself to be stimulated by reports of unpleasant incidents into attitudes of anger. Which is what the OP is known for encouraging. I agree in that I don't like to be made to feel alienated from the history and homeland with which I and my ancestry is associated, either. But that IS the vicarious emotional position which this report encourages us to dwell in, rather than the greater reality - which is our home, our neighbourhood, and the enjoyment of a good Saturday's football (amongst other things)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A bit crowded in the corner with the pacifists, the homosexuals, the gypsies, Jews and Irish.

But not Baby.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here