Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this good? (US football)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Player does what he's supposed to and commentators say what happens in sporting moment money shot shock.
Guess the only mildly remarkable thing is that he was backwards when he caught it?!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a bit like when a decent/good goal is proclaimed to be goal of the season just because it was, say, Wayne Rooney or Stephen Gerrard who scored it. That guy made a great catch last season, so has been hyped up to unreasonable levels, and it's because it's him making that catch that they are making a fuss over it. It's a good catch - the distance it has travelled, the handling on the move, but nothing more.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I dunno there was a certain beauty to it... was the commentary more fawning than it would normally be for what seems to the inexpert observer a relatively simple catch?

Nice run, catches ball. They seem to be impressed he arrived at the right spot where the ball was thrown, gaining ground on his (marker?) to be there - but that's why 'plays' are so important to AF right? (as in: he was probably told to run toward the top-right of the pitch then feint and drive to the centre to receive the ball by the play agreed by the particular grunting noise made as the ball was 'snapped' to the quarterback)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saw this on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/34357251

To me, this seems utterly unremarkable. Doesn't seem to be under much pressure from his opponent who at no point looks like he will get the ball first.

That's nothing check out baseball's 'catch of the day/week/month/year/century'.

I have more than a passing interest in the sport but the screaming adulation for a man with an oversided glove catching a ball is cringe inducing.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That sort of catch happens half a dozen times in every decent rugby match. Albeit without helmet, padding and gloves. :unclesam:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here