Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BEST England player

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was too young to see Bobby Moore in his prime, so my vote goes for Paul Scholes (he scores goals m'lud)

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Has to be Paul Gascoigne in my time

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was too young to see Bobby Moore in his prime, so my vote goes for Paul Scholes (he scores goals m'lud)

Desperately seeking clarification: the best player who ever played for England, or the player who, while playing for England, played better than any other?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Greaves doesn't get enough love as he ended up the forgotton man in 1966, but I don't think his goals per game ratio will ever be beaten.

In my time though and when he was fit and on form Gazza was simply unplayable.

Hoddle never got enough game either, such a wasted talent at International level.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Whilst Paul Scholes was admiittedly a great player, he is one that I could never vote for, because he turned his back on his country. To my mind a player should never 'retire' from international duty, but continue to make himself available for selection until the day he is no longer required.

Best player? so many to choose from, but perhaps Geoff Hurst?, it's goalscorers who win games, and without his goals we would never have been World Champions.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It should have been this man.

Winger/Midfielder
560 league appearances (80 goals)
1 league cup winner
1 fa cup winner
2 league winners medal
2 champions leagues winners medal (and scoring in both finals).

Only 37 caps. England should have built the team round him like the two teams he mainly played for, unfortunately Venables was the only England manager that knew how to play him.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Greaves doesn't get enough love as he ended up the forgotton man in 1966, but I don't think his goals per game ratio will ever be beaten.

In my time though and when he was fit and on form Gazza was simply unplayable.

Hoddle never got enough game either, such a wasted talent at International level.

True. There were so many players of a similar genre to Hoddle around at the time though. Maybe not quite belessed with the same talent, but still very very good.

Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Matt Le Tissier and Paul Merson all come to mind.

All players perhaps with flawed personal lives, and perhaps lacking a tad in the work rate stakes, and it was if the England manager(s) at the time were looking for rather more than just raw talent.

A great shame in my view.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It should have been this man.

Winger/Midfielder
560 league appearances (80 goals)
1 league cup winner
1 fa cup winner
2 league winners medal
2 champions leagues winners medal (and scoring in both finals).

Only 37 caps. England should have built the team round him like the two teams he mainly played for, unfortunately Venables was the only England manager that knew how to play him.

McManaman?

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
Whilst Paul Scholes was admiittedly a great player, he is one that I could never vote for, because he turned his back on his country. To my mind a player should never 'retire' from international duty, but continue to make himself available for selection until the day he is no longer required.

Best player? so many to choose from, but perhaps Geoff Hurst?, it's goalscorers who win games, and without his goals we would never have been World Champions.

Wow.

Did you ever watch Geoff Hurst play, apart from THAT game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here