Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, over 700 dead......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
and no thread? WTF?

I just wonder if Islam is a culture that steadfastly refused to modernise whatever. One of the rich nations, possibly richest by head per capita, has once again seen hundreds killed and possibly thousands injured whilst celebrating their religion. This has happened on multiple occasions, maybe every 6 or 7 years in the past 35, yet once again it seems whatever has happened in the past has not taught the organisers how to improve safety.

Maybe it is not important to the Saudis to safeguard tourists, albeit religious tourists, to their country?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
There will be another thread like this in a thousand years time , holographic and perhaps scratch and sniff but no doubt people will still be dying in the name of religion , what a waste .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Im embarrassed for the posters in question. RIP to the people. The Saudi authorities really need to sort it out. This sort of tragedy has been going on for too many years.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Incredibly the Saudis seem to be placing the blame on the behaviour of the dead, with one prince specifically mentioning African pilgrims.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't think so.

I just wonder if the middle eastern culture is too tied to historic tradtion for its' own good.

Very very sad. There must surely be a way of avoiding this with modern technology to control crowds, CCTV etc, particularly as it is hardly something that has not been experienced before. Perhaps you are right in that a refusal to change may cause these dreadful tragedies.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
my peaceful immaginary friend is better than yours and you will all be killed and spend eternity in hell.......same old same old, I think it's time we all realised we're here once and once only, then we might all get on and enjoy it

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
3 million feel compelled to go to Mecca to throw stones at a pillar.

Nothing good is ever going to come of that, no matter how many safety / crowd control measures are put in place.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
my peaceful immaginary friend is better than yours and you will all be killed and spend eternity in hell.......same old same old, I think it's time we all realised we're here once and once only, then we might all get on and enjoy it

I'm not religious by any stretch but I think that is wrong, without religion there would be no conformity, without conformity rules are impossible to enforce so it would be survival of the fittest. And that is the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm not religious by any stretch but I think that is wrong, without religion there would be no conformity, without conformity rules are impossible to enforce so it would be survival of the fittest. And that is the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it.

Do yourself a favour and purchase 'God Is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchins.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

so it's true, the public have no common sense or morality unless it's been constructed by a group of ancient MEN who made up fairy stories??? then we as a race don't stand a chance

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

so it's true, the public have no common sense or morality unless it's been constructed by a group of ancient MEN who made up fairy stories??? then we as a race don't stand a chance! also from what I can see religions seem to cause the issues and not the solutions

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

To worship a God is to absolve yourself from personal responsibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here