Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I: know I shouldn't laugh...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I had my very first curry aged 17 in the Taj Mahal in Ship Street. I came from a roast beef sort of family and asked a friend what I should order. He explained that the mildest curry available was a vindaloo. The only problem with a vindaloo, he said, was that it was extremely bland, so to avoid getting a sort of chicken casserole I should ask for it to be pepped up a bit hotter than normal. This I did.

I got terminal hiccups after one mouthful and spent the rest of the evening in some fast food place on the corner of North Street.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Do Asian people not like mild curry's in general?
They tend not to use these restaurants full stop, that's why I think it meant something else other than white people, 99% of their custom would be white people , they wouldn't need to specify.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Get a life... it makes sense..generally whites I imagine like less hot curries to Indians...what they consider mild may be medium to me. They were surely just being sensible and helpfull.

Sensible and helpful, really !!

How difficult is it to take an order and communicate to your chef that you want a very mild curry without mentioning the ethnicity of the person making the order !!!!

We cannot be sure of the intent and for me it doesnt really register, but I always find it slightly strange how some posters on this thread who would acknowledge and identify some racist or negative stereotyping if a white guy/company doing the same then blatantly dismiss the same set of circumstance with a racial element involving a white guy.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Er, just me that thinks PPL probably doesn't mean people?

The article goes on the say that the restaurant say that PPL refers to white sauce made from milk, single cream, coconut milk and spices. But Stuart does not believe them. They are going to change the instruction from add white ppl to add white sauce.

It's a shame I had to click on the link to read that bit.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The article goes on the say that the restaurant say that PPL refers to white sauce made from milk, single cream, coconut milk and spices. But Stuart does not believe them. They are going to change the instruction from add white ppl to add white sauce.

It's a shame I had to click on the link to read that bit.

Thanks, I didn't want to make that click! Assume it means passanda puri lasa or something.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I personally wouldn't care, but I know if it was the other way around, there's be a media frenzy/race war.

Exactly this , I wouldn't give a monkeys, but the other way round they would be rioting in the streets, the shop would be burnt down and they would be calling for the owners to be jailed.
It just shows the huge difference between how the different colours and or races of humans react when this sort of thing happens.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
I wonder if he had ordered a mild vegetarian curry it would state "Strange white ppl" what's matter as long as it tasted good. I find it amusing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here