Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paloma Faith 'World In Union' - Sporting Anthems Don't Get Any Worse Than This Shirley?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good grief! Always had Paloma Faith correctly down as a talent-free clothes-horse, but who on EARTH let her loose on the Rugby World Cup anthem 'World In Union'. She doesn't hit ANY of the notes. As one wag suggested, she must have recorded it while being water-boarded. Only worse possible performer they could have got to 'sing' it is Cheryl F'inracist-Versace who at least would have blamed her rubbishness on 'technical problems' as per usual.

For those who have been lucky enough not to hear it so far, you don't get off THAT lightly...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

That first night I was sat there, excitied for the rugby-fest ahead, and then that came on.

My word.

Just get a bog standard operatic group to do it. That's all it needed. Sake.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
opened this fully expecting to "back" Paloma has seen her live and she's good.

I can't, its sh!t

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've heard a lot worse, and I also feel the opera thing's been done to death too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree it's a dirge and it's taken from Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity", from Gustav Holst’s "The Planets" .
Don't sound jovial when that tart sings it though.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Only Love Can Hurt Like This.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
It's absolutely shocking. And the snatch played from it either side of every advert break is the worst thing about the entire world cup.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good grief! Always had Paloma Faith correctly down as a talent-free clothes-horse, but who on EARTH let her loose on the Rugby World Cup anthem 'World In Union'. She doesn't hit ANY of the notes. As one wag suggested, she must have recorded it while being water-boarded.
Nice rant.

It's absolutely shocking. And the snatch
That's disappointing.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Isn't it time they came up with a new song / theme for the rugby anyway?
I quite like her usually - but yeah, that sounds awful - her voice doesn't suit the song at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm going to go against the grain here and say I quite like it. Yes, the operatic version is much better, but then I quite like to hear different versions of songs, especially one that will be played to death over the next few weeks. Surprised that every person on this thread has given it a thumbs down tbh.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm waiting for FIFA to encourage someone to write a song entitled "The World In Association".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here