Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will approach Hughton first

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
When Newcastle & Sunderland sack their current managers/Head coaches which they will
Very soon.
Who will come in for Hughton first.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
CH is on to a good thing here. He clearly has a good relationship with the club from top to bottom. He is no Poyet, he is a gentleman, he'll be staying a while.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hughton doesn't have that eye-catching a record in the PL, there won't be a queue of teams in that league looking to sign him just yet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that is very harsh & I disagree.
He was harshley treated by both Newcastle & Norwich.

Why is it harsh? He was out of work for 10 months before we hired him, he obviously didn't have any better offers - and a lot jobs came up in that time. He did a job keeping us up, and has had a brilliant start, but it still is only 8 games, I don't think he's the top of PL club's hire lists right now. No disrespect to him of course.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hughton doesn't have that eye catching a record in the PL, there won't be a queue of teams in that league looking to sign him just yet.

Yep. Not having a go at Hughton at all, but I think that is just the way it is, which of course is great for us that hopefully there are no big money distractions for him.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I'm pretty sure he was one of the names linked with the West Brom job before they appointed Pulis. I'm not sure he's really what Sunderland or Newcastle are looking for but you never know. While we are where we are, it's surely a pretty good gig?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I would hope that Chris Hughton is old enough and experirenced enough to know when he is well off. All the time the management are backing him he has no reason to go anywhere. Lets be fair, there are no better jobs out there to tempt him away even if he wanted to go.
We haven’t actually sacked anyone since Russell Slade so this must be the most safe job you can get in football. You would have to be a mug to give that up.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would hope that Chris Hughton is old enough and experirenced enough to know when he is well off. All the time the management are backing him he has no reason to go anywhere. Lets be fair, there are no better jobs out there to tempt him away even if he wanted to go.
We haven’t actually sacked anyone since Russell Slade so this must be the most safe job you can get in football. You would have to be a mug to give that up.

Ha ha, that is true, we'll stick by you for so long you'll have to quit with stress before we'll sack you! :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think if he is smart he will look at us as a better prospect that either of those two clubs. Newcastle are a basketcase run by someone with no interest of pushing the club forward. Something is very wrong at Sunderland and as they flirt with relegation every year things are not going to improve without some big changes.

We are moving in the right direction and are run in a sensible manner. I would say we are a very attractive proposition at the moment.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I was thinking the same, well not your exact words :D

Three things on the theme of this thread

1. CH is quite a proud man and as such I doubt he would work for Ashley again. Not just because he was sacked by him but because things were not always pleasant for him there. Ashley had Pardew lined up as Manager at the start of the first season back in the Premiership and he probably thought the team would struggle and he would have cause to sack Chris early in the season. When the bad start didn't materialise they made life difficult and hoped he would resign. When that didn't happen, they sacked him anyway, so why on earth would he ever want to work for him again?

2. CH is a very clever man. He knows that he could never ever manage Sunderland. Newcastle fans love him and he would never jeopardise that by managing Sunderland. Also, at least 50% of Sunderland fans would never even give him the opportunity succeed, given that he had managed Newcastle. So he wouldn't be silly enough to put himself in that position. He saw what happened when Alex Mc Leish crossed the divide from Birmingham to Villa. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job sometimes. Some fans just cant overlook their prejudices.

3. He is sitting top of the Championship with Brighton and has an opportunity to achieve what he wants which is managing in the Premiership again with Brighton. He is enjoying his work at the moment. The club will back him in January if they in or around the play offs then. On top of that I think the club would really support him in the Premiership if they did go up.

If this was perhaps Spurs we were talking about as opposed to Newcastle or Sunderland then maybe but that is never gonna happen. He is actually very loyal when it comes to things like this. Even when Norwich approached him at Birmingham he thought long and hard about things but He wanted to manage in the Premiership but Birmingham had just been hit with a transfer embargo and Birmingham owner Carsten Yeang was in jail in Hong Kong, so he was unlikely to achieve the Premiership with Birmingham at that point in time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why is it harsh? He was out of work for 10 months before we hired him, he obviously didn't have any better offers - and a lot jobs came up in that time. He did a job keeping us up, and has had a brilliant start, but it still is only 8 games, I don't think he's the top of PL club's hire lists right now. No disrespect to him of course.

CH had 3 job offers during that 10 months out that I know of . Two Championship clubs and one International job. Several others also contacted his Agent and invited him to apply but he didn't, so he wasn't exactly short of offers during that time he wasn't working but he knew the next job he took after Norwich a to be the right job where he knew he had a good chance to succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here