Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Credit Card Loss Lying Psychopath?

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Is my niece dealing with a devious *******? My niece works in a small office and was given the company credit card to make a payment by her boss who is also a particularly unpleasant person. Three days later my niece was accused of having not given the card back and having lost it by her nasty boss who got really angry with her and made her feel really guilty. My niece could not actually remember giving the card back as it was such an insignificant act at the time. She was honest enough to admit that she did not actually remember giving it back but that did not necessarily mean she had not done so. There is only one other person who has access to the office who my niece trusts implicitly so knew they would not have taken it if my niece had carelessly left it somewhere.
Strangely today my niece was asked to make another payment to the same company as previously with the supposedly new card which had allegedly been sent to replace the old lost one. When she spoke to the person on the phone to make the payment they asked if she would be using the same card as on the previous occasion (before the alleged loss) as the details were stored.
On a whim and because she was suspicious she said it was the same card as previously used and she was then asked to confirm the last four digits only. The payment went through which proved that the supposedly new card had the same number as the lost one. My niece also noticed the start date was 01/15. Surely the new card would have a current start date. My niece couldn't tell by the condition of the card whether it was old.
My niece now strongly believes the card was never lost and replaced. She believes the story was concocted to cause problems for her. Her boss has a history of unreasonable behaviour but this is taking things to extremes.
Two questions:
1. Is a replacement credit card always issued with a new number?
2. Is my nieces boss a psychopathic *******?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Is my niece dealing with a devious *******? My niece works in a small office and was given the company credit card to make a payment by her boss who is also a particularly unpleasant person. Three days later my niece was accused of having not given the card back and having lost it by her nasty boss who got really angry with her and made her feel really guilty. My niece could not actually remember giving the card back as it was such an insignificant act at the time. She was honest enough to admit that she did not actually remember giving it back but that did not necessarily mean she had not done so. There is only one other person who has access to the office who my niece trusts implicitly so knew they would not have taken it if my niece had carelessly left it somewhere.
Strangely today my niece was asked to make another payment to the same company as previously with the supposedly new card which had allegedly been sent to replace the old lost one. When she spoke to the person on the phone to make the payment they asked if she would be using the same card as on the previous occasion (before the alleged loss) as the details were stored.
On a whim and because she was suspicious she said it was the same card as previously used and she was then asked to confirm the last four digits only. The payment went through which proved that the supposedly new card had the same number as the lost one. My niece also noticed the start date was 01/15. Surely the new card would have a current start date. My niece couldn't tell by the condition of the card whether it was old.
My niece now strongly believes the card was never lost and replaced. She believes the story was concocted to cause problems for her. Her boss has a history of unreasonable behaviour but this is taking things to extremes.
Two questions:
1. Is a replacement credit card always issued with a new number?
2. Is my nieces boss a psychopathic *******?

3. Cut his balls off or get a new niece:moo:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
A card's start date will always be the month in which it is issued, or the following month. It wouldn't be 9 months ago.

So yes, it is the same card.

That's a pretty dumb lie by the boss

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
1/ Every new one I've ever had has had a new number. Although only the last one or two figures have changed.

2/ Probably just not a nice individual.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Number will always be changed, CVV2 will always be changed, start date (if present at all) will always be the month it was printed in / for use from, expiry date will *usually* change too. If they didn't change it, it'd be completely pointless as the old card could and would almost certainly be used if found.

Someone is out to get her.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Surprised she wouldn't remember handing the card back. If true she should look at changing job, then give this @)^%£W£ a load of abuse and snap his credit card while leaving the door for the last time.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What a to$$er. Would be nice if she could call him out in front of the everyone and make him look the nob he is.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Q1. a replacement card doesn't always need a new number, as example MBNA replacement cards (by this I mean replacement and not not reported lost/stolen) have the same number but different start/expiry date and CV2. It is down to the issuer to determine how much differentiation they give based on the risk of old card being used. With the increase in contactless which typically have 'under authorisation limit' transactions many companies are more and more amending full card numbers and not the last 4 digits as previously seen.
Q2. I have never heard of any company issuing cards which with previous start dates,

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Very odd .... If he wants to nail the niece there are far more straightforward ways to go about it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I had made such a blunder, I wouldn't let her find out; I'd make sure all future payments on that card were made by myself!

I'd like to think that I'd apologise tbh, no big deal it's really not that hard to say sorry. Time to find a new job for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here