Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU Referendum NSC opinion poll 2015

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Unio

• Leave the European Union

Votes: 124 49.2%
  • Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 128 50.8%

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
i read a surprising stat recently, i dont recall the exact number nor do i necessarily believe its the full story, that something like 95% of business transaction in the UK are within the UK. it seemed fantastical, but if you consider every shop, builder, accountant, garage, resturant, small factories, distributors, you realise thats probably not wrong. yet all those businesses have to comply with all EU legislation in order to maintain the premise of a single market. apart from Amazon (based in Luxemburg to benefit from lower tax) I dont think i have ever made a purchase from a EU nation. so that "potential customers" line is very possibly a little distortion of reality.

Not at all.

I work for a company which sources around 35% of its products directly from Asia, another 50% from Europe (although the original source is often Asia, and another 15% from the UK (originally split 50/50 from UK and other sources). We import from Europe when needed due to the economics of volume, one European importer can get far better prices than 15 different companies all trying to negotiate in the far East. If the free trade area were to cease our buying prices would increase thus leading to higher retail prices.

And the free trade zone WOULD cease if we leave the EU, it is a club that demands a membership fee in return for priviledges, no fee equals no benefits.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Please don't trouble mentioning this - the subject is on the out-voters' ignore list.

Errr ..... no it's not. Like it or not, Scotland will have another independence referendum regardless of the result of the EU vote. An out vote will just accelerate the happening. Regardless of the EU result I'd predict Scotland will be independent within my lifetime. I'm certainly not going to let my vote in the EU referendum be influenced by if the Scots may or may not leave the UK due to the result. To do otherwise is to give in the electoral blackmail.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I work for a company which sources around 35% of its products directly from Asia, another 50% from Europe (although the original source is often Asia, and another 15% from the UK (originally split 50/50 from UK and other sources).

first of all, your company would be in the 5% (or whatever it is). secondly, with over 35% supply from outside EU you seem to have demonstrated there's little problem with trading outside the EU. and a single UK importer of products might get as good, or better prices without EU tariffs. ever consider the tariffs that EU imposes increases costs?

anyway, the point i was making was that for most businesses those "potential customers" are irrelevant as they are trading locally. its something to think about when the pro-EU lobby tell us that the 5th largest economy in the world, 2nd largest in Europe, with centruries old tradition of international trade, will implode if we step out of the EU.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
M

Figures are sometimes difficult to pin down. The Telegraph (anti-EU) quotes a net figure of 73 euros per head for 2011 but this is reduced by indirect gains in economic activity - the UK government suggests that each household gains between £1500 and £3500 a year as a result of the common market. It is obviously wrong for anyone to think that these benefits would remain if we pulled out of the Union. There may be a few pluckers on this thread but I'm not one of them.

I could 'suggest' that the Moon is made of green cheese and will provide us with indirect gains when we can mine it.Doesn't prove anything,but sounds quite good.My household certainly doesn't gain between £1500-3500 per annum,maybe I should start a farm!:down:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I totally believe that if we duck out of the EU now then it will damage our relationship with other EU states in the long term. They don't like us much now as it is, why would things get better if we leave?

It's not just about money, it's about environment, human rights, refugees, our relationship with Russia, North Africa. We need to co-operate more effectively and can do that better within the EU.

You can't come on here you know and talk such common sense. God how many people on here believe everything they read in the Express?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Errr ..... no it's not. Like it or not, Scotland will have another independence referendum regardless of the result of the EU vote. An out vote will just accelerate the happening. Regardless of the EU result I'd predict Scotland will be independent within my lifetime. I'm certainly not going to let my vote in the EU referendum be influenced by if the Scots may or may not leave the UK due to the result. To do otherwise is to give in the electoral blackmail.

I respect your view that a more certain disintegration of the UK matters less than getting the country out of the European Union. It's your opinion and we'll soon see how many people share it.

I disagree with your view that people who decide that trying to preserve the present United Kingdom is more important to them than voting Out in the referendum are succumbing to 'electoral blackmail'. No they are not. They are exercising a comparative judgement that differs from yours, that's all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
recent survation poll,bloody pesky vocal minority eh
http://survation.com/new-polling-on...eave-lead-for-first-time-since-november-2014/

Remain a member of the European Union – 40%
Leave the European Union – 43%
Undecided – 17%

Excluding undecided voters, the results were:

Leave the European Union 51%*
Remain a member of the European Union 49%*

You couldnt find a more recent poll than 2014? im sure they are out there. Wait until the referendum. The 'out' vote is currently falling behind on a football forum.

PaddyPower's latest odds for the EU referendum are:
• 1/5 In favour of staying in EU
• 3/1 In favour of exiting the EU

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A lots going to change between now and next month let alone 2017. Clearly there is going to be a ground war in Syria and Iraq with NATO forces involved on the ground to hoof out ISIS as Assad is running out of conscripts because they are currently hanging out of train windows in Slovenia on their way to a better life in Germany or England...which is going to be the deciding factor in the in out referendum. There are at least 6 MILLION little brown people displaced because of the war who want to live in the tranquility of Western Europe I personally believe that as the crisis there deepens the EU will show once again how powerless it is when national concerns about inward migration become increasingly strident. We're better off out of it. Thank god for the English channel.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Blimey, the poll has turned round quickly after the initial UKIP rush on it :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A lots going to change between now and next month let alone 2017. Clearly there is going to be a ground war in Syria and Iraq with NATO forces involved on the ground to hoof out ISIS as Assad is running out of conscripts because they are currently hanging out of train windows in Slovenia on their way to a better life in Germany or England...which is going to be the deciding factor in the in out referendum. There are at least 6 MILLION little brown people displaced because of the war who want to live in the tranquility of Western Europe I personally believe that as the crisis there deepens the EU will show once again how powerless it is when national concerns about inward migration become increasingly strident. We're better off out of it. Thank god for the English channel.

Sadly to soon be replaced by Putin's Russian conscript cannon fodder, it seems.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Blimey, the poll has turned round quickly after the initial UKIP rush on it :lolol:

I suspect that the greatest danger facing the outers is a surfeit of absolute belief in their own propaganda, and a complete certainty that anyone who disagrees with them is delusional.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The fact that businessmen in the UK want us to stay in the EU...

and

sort of cuts through the 'out' propaganda for me

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The fact that businessmen in the UK want us to stay in the EU...

and

sort of cuts through the 'out' propaganda for me

I think a similar amount recommended us to join the Euro too, so I wouldnt always hang your hat on their forward thinking.

Those businesses that are doing ok will prefer the status quo, thats normal business thinking, of course those that are not doing so well probably are too busy trying to save their business, family and homes to care to take place or be asked to take place in any polls.

Business will and should adapt, its a red herring for me, but then I would say that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here