Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU Referendum NSC opinion poll 2015

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Unio

• Leave the European Union

Votes: 124 49.2%
  • Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 128 50.8%

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If the vote was today ,how would you vote?

Obviously this vote is what you feel right now and cannot consider what may or may not come into play with future negotiations.

The question is not my own but is the question proposed by the Electoral Commission

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I predict a lot of posts from ukips press officer, with links to long dull articles that don't actualy support the point he's making.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't we just look at the last time this was done, or the time before that. No one's views have changed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Can't we just look at the last time this was done, or the time before that. No one's views have changed.

when was the last time this was done in the full knowledge there will actually be a referendum(since conservative election win) and not just a speculative survey of what "might" happen.

i may have missed it here on NSC since the election,so happy to be corrected

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

The EU has changed though,what started off as a trading agreement has gradually and slowly taken political control,we are told by politicians unelected in this country to open borders...of course we know how efficient the EU is don't we...one currency that does not suit every country,let's get rid of border controls they say....just look what's happened...borders hastily being closed,army and armed guards called in...the EU is a political and economic shambles...the sooner we get out the better.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i wonder if given the recent migrant events across The EU in the past few months you actually believe this.You seriously think no one has changed their opinions? You are in full denial if you think "no ones views have changed"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The EU has changed though,what started off as a trading agreement has gradually and slowly taken political control,

That's not true at all. The Treaty of Rome in 1957 set out quite clearly that the aim was closer political unity. "to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe ..
to ensure the economic and social progress of their countries by common action to eliminate the barriers which divide Europe" And free movement of people was one of the four freedoms in the text.

You may not agree with it but there's been no change in the thinking, closer political union was the aim right from the outset

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I predict a lot of posts from ukips press officer, with links to long dull articles that don't actualy support the point he's making.

NSC does resemble UKIP Stand Chat at times, so you are probably right.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
That's not true at all. The Treaty of Rome in 1957 set out quite clearly that the aim was closer political unity. "to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe ..
to ensure the economic and social progress of their countries by common action to eliminate the barriers which divide Europe" And free movement of people was one of the four freedoms in the text.

You may not agree with it but there's been no change in the thinking, closer political union was the aim right from the outset

what was sold to the British public at the last referendum in 1975? was it the EU as we currently belong to?

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
what was sold to the British public at the last referendum in 1975? was it the EU as we currently belong to?

It was of course fought on the question should we remain members of the EEC (European Economic Community, or Common Market), with constant denials from pro-EEC campaigners that it would ever lead to an eventual political union. No-one at the time foresaw the current size of the monstrosity, as most people in 1975 didn't believe that communism in eastern Europe would collapse in their lifetime.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was of course fought on the question should we remain members of the EEC (European Economic Community, or Common Market), with constant denials from pro-EEC campaigners that it would ever lead to an eventual political union.

Although Edward Heath did admit in an interview AFTER the referendum that the aim was always complete political and fiscal union. He said the pro camp didn't push this fact because they knew the British would never vote for that. So basically those that voted were conned.

As for the poll - LEAVE and leave now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Although Edward Heath did admit in an interview AFTER the referendum that the aim was always complete political and fiscal union. He said the pro camp didn't push this fact because they knew the British would never vote for that. So basically those that voted were conned.

Conned? Or couldn't be bothered to read the Treaty of Rome? As I posted earlier, the aim in 1957 was ever closer political union, it's there in black and white. All moves since then have been bring that about. I don't agree with the EU and would vote to leave but I'm not so naive to think there has been any sort of shift in thinking

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Conned? Or couldn't be bothered to read the Treaty of Rome? As I posted earlier, the aim in 1957 was ever closer political union, it's there in black and white. All moves since then have been bring that about. I don't agree with the EU and would vote to leave but I'm not so naive to think there has been any sort of shift in thinking

I doubt many voters could have ploughed their way through the 80 pages. Regardless, as far as I can see it doesn't mention closer political union as far as I can see ( I have only skim read it ). Here's the objectives from Article 3 - note no mention of closer political unions :

(a) the elimination, as between Member States, of customs duties and of quantitative
restrictions on the import and export of goods, and of all other measures having
equivalent effect;
(b) the establishment of a common customs tariff and of a common commercial
policy towards third countries;
(c) the abolition, as between Member States, of obstacles to freedom of movement for
persons, services and capital;
(d) the adoption of a common policy in the sphere of agriculture;
(e) the adoption of a common policy in the sphere of transport;
(f) the institution of a system ensuring that competition in the common market is not
distorted;
(g) the application of procedures by which the economic policies of Member States
can he co-ordinated and disequilibria in their balances of payments remedied;
(h) the approximation of the laws of Member States to the extent required for the
proper functioning of the common market;
(i) the creation of a European Social Fund in order to improve employment
opportunities for workers and to contribute to the raising of their standard of
living;
(j) the establishment of a European Investment Bank to facilitate the economic
expansion of the Community by opening up fresh resources;
(k) the association of the overseas countries and territories in order to increase trade
and to promote jointly economic and social development.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here