Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Set Pieces

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Our set pieces haven't been as good as last season and most of our chances have come from open play. I think it is a bit of a waste having Stephens or Lualua taking the corners as they are goal scorers. We haven't got a set piece taker in the first team.

Open question: who should take our corners, free kicks and penalties?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not sure overall but one theory I've always had that few sides have ever utilised to the full is the trusty 'keeper for penalties.

After the hesitating, stuttering attempt to confuse the defending goalie went wrong (not for the first time in a game) I reckon we should try a player often in need of running out and give it a trusty whack.

Don't faff about, give it a clout.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
i thought stephens had been puting pretty decent ball into the box he can hardly be blamed for them not being finished off

Stephens does seem the best in the first team. ButI would like him on the edge of the box! For free kicks, Bruno has a strong case.

Taking penalties is a science and out last two attempts were pathetic. That's down to CH.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I disagree I think our set pieces especially corners have been much better this year. The reason for Hemeds penalty miss was as he approached the ball he stuttered as he usually does and the keeper stepped a pace forward. If everything was correct the ref shoukd have ordered a retake because of that and also 2 Wolves players were in the box but that is really nit picking as he should have put it away.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ew! Its a Corner

I disagree I think our set pieces especially corners have been much better this year. The reason for Hemeds penalty miss was as he approached the ball he stuttered as he usually does and the keeper stepped a pace forward. If everything was correct the ref shoukd have ordered a retake because of that and also 2 Wolves players were in the box but that is really nit picking as he should have put it away.

This sort of thing canbe a bit subjective. I thought our corners last season were good or terrible. Anyrate these are the stats:

This season. Accurate/inaccurate corners

March 11/11
Stephens 8/10
Murphy 1/4

Balance between right and left footers

Last season:

Holla 29/46
JFC 21/29
Stephens 18/10
Colunga 12/12

My intuition could be partly right with Stephens having a higher % of better corners last season.

Season under OG:

López 36/38
Orlandi 24/27
JFC 14/18
Conway 13/16
Stephens 8/10

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems that for many years are set pieces aren't up to scratch.

Or could it be as simple as free kicks and esp corners aren't actually all they are cracked up to be.
We've had 14 corners in the last 4 games (7 v Rotherham) and no goals.

Is anyone surprised by that?

Corners are a good way of gauging attacking intent, but I don't think you can read into them much more than that.

Any corners that actually clean the first defender and don't sail out the other side, still only have a 50% chance of falling to an attacking player, who'll have a lot more players in front of them than usual.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Because a long throw into the box can be a very potent attacking weapon, and it would add another aspect to our attacking play. Fairly obvious really.................

Because it worked oh so wonderfully last season when we applied that tactic. Too be honest I dont see much value in them. Bruno has a fairly big throw on him and I would imagine we choose not to use this in our normal arsenal as its pretty inafective.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I seem to recall at some point towards the end of last season we were either top or second top for the most goals scored from set-pieces in the Championship - given the paucity of goals we scored, it struck me that it was an astonishing stat. I've not seen us threatening in the same way this year

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here