Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overseas players

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
As a general comment, watching Man U on tele this afternoon had me thinking how much influence our foreign imports are having. Illustrated by how uninfluential (?) our national captain has become. Also, with so many European internationals flooding the Prem in general, how will all these 'supporters' react to the players they idolise on a Saturday ripping us apart next year in France ?
I am aware that we have a fair smattering of foreigners playing for us by the way.
Any thoughts ? :rock:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the top players playing in the Premier is ok but they shoukdnt be allowed in any other divisions or perhaps the numbers limited like 1 in Div 2 , 2 in Div 1 and 3 in The Championship. That is actually playing not signed on a contract, this would reduce the numbers of mediocre foreign players and open the doors for homegrown talent. Not sure how it could be implemented to conform to Euro work laws.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think that the top players playing in the Premier is ok but they shoukdnt be allowed in any other divisions or perhaps the numbers limited like 1 in Div 2 , 2 in Div 1 and 3 in The Championship. That is actually playing not signed on a contract, this would reduce the numbers of mediocre foreign players and open the doors for homegrown talent. Not sure how it could be implemented to conform to Euro work laws.

How will that work with Brighton?
If you get rid of, or limit the foreign player, we would a mediocre team to say the least.
Its got to start with the premier league teams having the bottle to play home grown players, instead of buying johnny foreigner from abroad, then hopefully this will filter down through the leagues.
I know its the way of the world at the moment, multi national sides, but something has got to give :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I heard a stat the other day (CBA to look it up) that only about seven players from 350-odd in last week's first round of Champions league matches were British. That's pretty shocking to me – no wonder the 'top' English/British players not considered a patch on their foreign counterparts.

I also heard the none of the current top 10 players in football are playing in the Premier League. So much for the 'Best League in the World™' :moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you get rid of, or limit the foreign player, we would a mediocre team to say the least.
Its got to start with the premier league teams having the bottle to play home grown players, instead of buying johnny foreigner from abroad, then hopefully this will filter down through the leagues.
I know its the way of the world at the moment, multi national sides, but something has got to give :thumbsup:

That would be our problem but also the problem of many other teams in the Championship. I have nothing against good players being signed but am against mediocre players for 2nd Div sides. who are no better but possibly cheaper than home grown but that will change.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That would be our problem but also the problem of many other teams in the Championship. I have nothing against good players being signed but am against mediocre players for 2nd Div sides. who are no better but possibly cheaper than home grown but that will change.

But in terms of the effect on England and our national side the lower sides are a little irrelevant, except that it is just a flow down from the Premiership anyway, where the problem inevitably lies.

The conundrum remains that we bring in ready developed and experienced players that at one time got the support and opportunity now being denied to young English players.

I commented on another thread within the new influx of our own 7 first year scholars that there was only 2 English, its difficult to start to point fingers when we somehow find good reason to implement a policy ourselves that denies opportunity to English youngsters at the very beginning of the development process.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Also, how could teams that are promoted to the Prem and in all likelihood relegated soon after cope? They'd go from only being allow a few foreigners to competing with the Prem team with no restrictions (which undoubtedly require taking on lots of foreign talent) only to have to potentially jettison them all for the next season.

As you say it's all or nothing, otherwise the gulf between the Prem and everyone else will widen.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I have never enjoyed an Arsenal v Chelsea match, games like this are just flooded with too many overseas players and I don't like the style of football
Preferred it when used to be limit on non-English players and the odd international player you had in your side got worshipped that much more

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have never enjoyed an Arsenal v Chelsea match, games like this are just flooded with too many overseas players and I don't like the style of football
Preferred it when used to be limit on non-English players and the odd international player you had in your side got worshipped that much more

We have just sub-letted out our stadiums and paid a bit of goodwill for use of the names and kits, its a poor mans version of Harlem Globetrotters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here